Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Afrihost launches new Rain LTE-A package and free router deal

Does this fixed wireless package have a night surfer/owl/zombie/whatever add-on?

Quote Originally Posted by larryn View Post
    Does this fixed wireless package have a night surfer/owl/zombie/whatever add-on?
    Nope, just double data until November 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by larryn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Nope, just double data until November 2018.
    DarkDragon is correct.

These packages receive Doubel Data until November 2018. This data can be used at anytime.
    "Great Scott!"

Quote Originally Posted by AfriGenie View Post
    Have you heard anything yet?
    Nope, nada. :-(

So this is my experience with this product so far:

RAIN's network gives me 3Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up anywhere I test it at my location. Unfortunately that is not going to replace the 20Mb/s ADSL as I hoped anytime soon. I will however test it again and then decide whether or not to continue with the service when I managed to locate better antennas for it.

Telkom's 1800Mhz LTE network weighs in at 8Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up, so it can at least be used to do cloud backups, albeit during the wee hours of the morning.

Just took the router on a 7km drive to find out if RAIN's network can keep a Skype video call alive all the way, and it came through that unscathed, so thumbs up to the network there.
    Last edited by OneKnight; 07-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    "Dude...we all need to look away from our computer screens and go see what's really going on in the world." - Sl8er

Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight View Post

RAIN's network gives me 3Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up anywhere I test it at my location. Unfortunately that is not going to replace the 20Mb/s ADSL as I hoped anytime soon. I will however test it again and then decide whether or not to continue with the service when I managed to locate better antennas for it.

Telkom's 1800Mhz LTE network weighs in at 8Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up, so it can at least be used to do cloud backups, albeit during the wee hours of the morning.

Just took the router on a 7km drive to find out if RAIN's network can keep a Skype video call alive all the way, and it came through that unscathed, so thumbs up to the network there.
    Had really good signal and download speeds yesterday and today itís poor, best Iím getting today is 2mb. Yesterday got more than 10mb consistently. At 2mb download the PS4 doesnít want to sign in to PSN keeps failing.

Only have two devices connected currently.

My living room area, itís hard to pick up more than 6Mb/s. Kitchen picks up 20Mb/s. Room picks up 43Mb/s. Need to Test Telkom

Maybe I should try moving it around

Really looking forward to the day LTE becomes like ADSL in terms of data quantity and price.

Looks like Afrihost will need a Rain feedback thread very soon.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.

Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight View Post

Over in the Rain section there is a thread on the correct antenna and connectors to get and it seams to make a big difference, unfortunately by that thread looks like it will set you back R2000 or so.

I got my package last week and here is my experience - I placed the router in one spot and I haven't tried moving it. Popped the sim out and into the router and everything worked out of the box. Never had to wait for any initialization or signal. I was immediately connected and could surf the web. Did a test with myBB speed test app and I got 20ms Ping - 26.32Mbps Download - 18.86Mbps Upload. Further testing was similar with upload speeds being higher than download speeds.

LTE with full 3 bars all the way. Everything works as advertised and I am a happy chomp. Router is unlocked so I tried another sim (Telkom with nightcap data) and I can squeeze out 1 Bar LTE - super stoked about this given how remote I am and I normally only get Telkom 3G.
    Tried the sim in another router/mifi (E5573) and it works well and I can get LTE as well so I have backup for when Eskom decides to abandon us in darkness.

All in all superb offering that will be made even better when either Afrihost/Rain nightcap data is added/included or Afrihost Plus can be used on the product.

Got the call from Digital Planet this morning, so delivery in 1 to 3 business days.

P.S. I told a friend looking for internet at his house about this deal last week and that he should check it out. He called Afrihost and he was holding on the phone40th in line, so he decided to put down the phone and go with another ISP, same deal almost same price, he already signed up.
    If it was me I would have waited on the phone, but just shows you that the smallest things can put off potencial clients.

So the status on mine has been updated for the first time. Now says delivered to couriers and en route. I presume I will receive tracking number or some sms.

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan

The download speeds vary, but Iíve seen high 20ís with the average being in the 10ís.

Upload never goes above 2 so Iím not sure whatís happening there.

Ping was relatively stable, but will move the router around and see if it changes. Might get an antenna for the sake of consistency.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast