Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this Sansui laptop Any Good?

Default Is this Sansui laptop Any Good?

Hey guys I was thinking of buying the Sansui laptop that a few places sell such as this https://www.incredible.co.za/sansui-...k-14in-notepad It seems to have a great screen and good battery life but there are no reviews of it anywhere on the net. Would you recommend it to me or should i pass on this?

Short no, long answer depends entirely what you want to do with it, generally atom CPU's frustrated me endlessly, especially considering it doesn't have a removable harddrive, lower end netbooks pending hardware components especially some thing like the emmc HDD, can be notoriously slow.

I would personally make a trade off and get a celeron notebook, larger in every respect, there is a bit of a trade off with the CPU, but more then makes up for it with more ram and HDD.

https://www.hificorp.co.za/acer-nb-e...3050-4-500-blk
    Just fell over holding my guitar, and accidentally played every song One Direction have ever written

It will pretty much perform like any other atom x5 windows 10 tablet out there.

Don't expect much out of it if you rely on using Chrome Browser as that will just devour the performance on a 2gb memory atom device. If it had 4gb memory ( intel's site is wrong btw, these atom x5's can support up to 8gb of ram even ) then Chrome wouldn't be such a big issue. Aside from that, on 2gb, you can run full Office, stream youtube/Netflix, Edge has no issues running multiple tabs etc.

You would have to check in the stores or ask them what the battery is rated at though, as that is usually skimped on with the non-premium brand devices.
    Die wind waai

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
    I would personally make a trade off and get a celeron notebook, larger in every respect, there is a bit of a trade off with the CPU, but more then makes up for it with more ram and HDD.

https://www.hificorp.co.za/acer-nb-e...3050-4-500-blk
    At least make sure its an Apollo Lake Celeron, not these dog-slow 30xx celeron models
    Die wind waai

Quote Originally Posted by Zenthrax View Post
    At least make sure its an Apollo Lake Celeron, not these dog-slow 30xx celeron models
    Well he will need to shop around then, I simply took the closest to his R2999.00 price, before posting I did have a look at CPU performance.http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celero...om-x5-x5-Z8300 to be honest there isn't much in it, considering the price this is older stock but hardly a bad buy by any means, as I took it like for like, when comparing the two.
    Just fell over holding my guitar, and accidentally played every song One Direction have ever written

Tablet type gadget. Such devices are very limited by non-upgradable RAM and storage. I wouldn't be upset perhaps by the latest Atom CPU for multimedia aplications (I have't tried), but for me is ridiculous to pay R3000 for a device fitted with $20 CPU and unknown display quality.

BTW, keyboard is very small, why is not covering full space?

Second hand that will serve long: Ivy Bridge i5 CPU, 6GB RAM, good resolution screen, Nvidia graphics, 1TB hard drive, no crappy Windows 10, like this R3500: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...5-S-MSI-Laptop
    Last edited by sajunky; 03-10-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Not worth the price. Wait until the Black Friday sales and then look at your options.
    Nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Tablet type gadget. Such devices are very limited by non-upgradable RAM and storage. I wouldn't be upset perhaps by the latest Atom CPU for multimedia aplications (I have't tried), but for me is ridiculous to pay R3000 for a device fitted with $20 CPU and unknown display quality.
    Yeah, always love people that comment on Atom's yet never used them.

The x5's are better than any of the Celerons barring the new apollo lake Celerons. They can push 1080p, power 1080p, heck can even view 4k videos. The emmc storage, depending which they use, can be faster than the first gen ssd's. And then there is battery life, that old i5 wont even make 3 hours with a new battery.. an atom on average will stream you 7-14 hours effortlessly depending on the battery fitted ( Lenovo miix310 can stream 18 hours and still not pop up a warning about low battery )
    Die wind waai

It's nice, but the 2GB of RAM and the piss-poor eMMC memory isn't going to pair up well with that chipset.

Try find a good deal on the ASUS Transformer T102HA instead. It's the closest you'll get to a Surface type of device in terms of build quality.

The x5's are better than any of the Celerons barring the new apollo lake Celerons. They can push 1080p, power 1080p, heck can even view 4k videos. The emmc storage, depending which they use, can be faster than the first gen ssd's. And then there is battery life, that old i5 wont even make 3 hours with a new battery.. an atom on average will stream you 7-14 hours effortlessly depending on the battery fitted ( Lenovo miix310 can stream 18 hours and still not pop up a warning about low battery )
    Consider the make and model and price You will be lucky to get two and half hours battery life, these low end netbook, have craptastic emmc HDD period, yes respectable brand have good battery life and and likely a good emmc hhd, this netbook has neither of them, guaranteed !!Personally had a 2 acer netbooks both dual cores, it was let down by a poor performing battery and hdd, while you could swap out the ssd with a mechanical hdd, it meant importing the hdd, and it would eat at the battery performance even more.

Higher end netbooks costs an arm and leg and for the same price you can get, a decent notebook that would run circle around it, the higher end netbooks, might have things like touch screen and dock able keyboards and such, there is again trade functionality trade off's like usb ports HDMI and HDD space.

Besides some thing you completely ignored is the fact that the notebook suggested, was linked with like for like CPU performance and there isn't much between the two CPU's, in fact the celeron has more cache, the trade off is dual core versus quad core, but with the additional 512k cache makes up more then enough, and it costs only R500.00+- more and you get more hdd space, and likely better performing battery as well, intel graphics is also likely to perform better as it's higher clocked as well.Personally I would take the Acer over this heap of junk any day of the week.

I say it depends mostly on the use case. Everyone recommending a Celeron is right though, even in situations where the atom would be better I'd still say get a recent Celeron with 4GB RAM. That there tablet thing will probably become obsolete much faster as well, though a Celeron isn't in that much better of a position, but better enough.
    Fus Ro Dah

The x5's are better than any of the Celerons barring the new apollo lake Celerons. They can push 1080p, power 1080p, heck can even view 4k videos.
    They are good for displaying videos as long video is played in hardware decoder. CPU is not involved, it gives long paying times. 4K H.264, 1080p HEVC movie may be playable, but 10bit HEVC calls for hybrid mode and CPU is very weak - no joy. Having said above, remember that I wrote in my initial post, I wouldn't be upset having x5 for multimedia use.

For general use CPU has a good peak peformance, but it can reach thermal throtling in a second, so it looks fast only on the light load. It is why I disagree with your comment comparing Atom with Celerons.

I would pay for this device maximum R1500 assuming it has decent LCD (which I doubt). Remember my word when you see Sansui on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    but there are no reviews of it anywhere on the net
    That is because Sansui generally rebrands stuff like this.

+ Reply to Thread