Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mistrust, backstabbing in DA meltdown as De Lille takes on Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Actually, Ms De Lille, you are wrong.

South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No. 68 of 1995)
    Chapter 12 : Municipal and Metropolitan Police Services
    64E. Functions of municipal police service

The functions of a municipal police service are-
    a) traffic policing, subject to any legislation relating to road traffic;
    b) the policing of municipal by-laws and regulations which are the responsibility of the municipality in question; and
    c) the prevention of crime.
    Hope she is done away with.
    APoc184 - "Well apparently I'm Ockie's kinda girl."

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Actually, Ms De Lille, you are wrong.

South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No. 68 of 1995)
    Chapter 12 : Municipal and Metropolitan Police Services
    64E. Functions of municipal police service

The functions of a municipal police service are-
    a) traffic policing, subject to any legislation relating to road traffic;
    b) the policing of municipal by-laws and regulations which are the responsibility of the municipality in question; and
    c) the prevention of crime.
    Her beef is with the SIU of the city..case of no real clarity on the powers that they can exercise. One thing about De Lille, she does shy away from calling a spade a spade and answering detractors directly...JP, had tons of latitude under Zille, and I suspect is part of the old guard strategy to retain their hold of key positions in the WC DA. All part of the game called politics,.
    BSG -the best show!

Super Grandmaster

I never quite understood why the SAPS runs out of the national government.

hmmm

since the scorpions where shut down for getting too close to certain groups and individuals.

have to wonder if this SIU didn't get to close for comfort for de lille....

cowboys and crooks?

I think shes a crook.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrotappel View Post
    DA becoming more like the ANC every day.
    ^that

I'm becoming a tad tired of the DA's incessant running to court and motions of no confidence.

It's time to stop this bull**** of attacking the ANC and start properly showing the voters why they should be considering the DA. Step i be could to start cleaning house where there is a hint of corruption.
    Quote Originally Posted by faniedry View Post
    It's time you update your signature by the way.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Arzy View Post
    ^that

I'm becoming a tad tired of the DA's incessant running to court and motions of no confidence.

It's time to stop this bull**** of attacking the ANC and start properly showing the voters why they should be considering the DA. Step i be could to start cleaning house where there is a hint of corruption.
    The DA are doing exactly what's expected of an opposition party, that is keeping the ANC in check and on their toes, i agree that they need to do more on service delivery especially in Tshwane, I don't know about Joburg since I stay in the suburbs which were always taken care of even during the days of the ANC, the township's in Tshwane where the votes are going to come from to dislodge the ANC are still very much neglected in terms of service delivery, there are some positives though, like the BRT being rolled out to the townships and the number of metro cops being deployed over there even though they only seem to be visible at month end.

I do get your frustration about the court cases and the motions but understand the special case that we are dealing with here, Zuma, did they have so many motions during the Mbeki presidency? And the court cases? We would be a lot worse off had Zuma and the Guptas had a free reign to loot as much as they wanted without any disturbance from the opposition, if he was a decent and an honourable president we would not have eight motions against him, even though they have their flaws it's Zuma and the ANC who are the problem not the DA.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Super Grandmaster

Witch hunt or law breakers? - Unpacking the City of Cape Town’s anti-crime unit saga

Cape Town - A formal criminal complaint should be lodged against metro police officers, or special investigators, from the City of Cape Town, if they overstepped the line and did investigative work outside of their mandate, according to Police Minister Fikile Mbalula’s spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga.

If this does not happen, the matter will simply be treated as a rumour, he told News24 on Thursday.

“We need for a formal complaint to be laid or it’s a witch hunt,” he said.

'Rumour unless formalised'

If a complaint was not lodged and police were expected to investigate the matter, Mhaga said police would then have to investigate "every single rumour".

African National Congress (ANC) Western Cape secretary Faiez Jacobs said it was planning to lodge a complaint with police, after he earlier in the week called for Mbalula to shut down the metro police, which he described as a “rogue establishment.”

Jacobs and Mhaga were commenting on details which have arose from a spat within the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the City of Cape Town. It recently emerged that Mayor Patricia de Lille wanted to have the city’s special investigations unit (SIU) shut down.

Its mandate was changed and its functions streamlined.
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-saga-20171005
    BSG -the best show!

Super Grandmaster

Default ANC looks for security upgrades, 'firepool' at De Lille's home

Cape Town – About 10 ANC members visited Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille's home on Thursday to ask her to "pay back the money" on security upgrades to her house.

Initially advertised as a picket, the small group instead eyed the electric fencing and cameras at De Lille's home.

Led by ANC Dullah Omar Region chairperson Xolani Sotashe, they also climbed onto a bakkie to try and peek over her walls, ostensibly to check if there was a Nkandla-style "firepool".

No one seemed to be at home and there was no pool in sight. An empty vehicle with a City of Cape Town VIP sticker stood nearby, and an unmarked security vehicle drove past occasionally. A SAPS visible policing vehicle also drove past once.

From the street, News24 could make out a number of visible security cameras.

"We are here to make a statement and beg the mayor just to quietly pay back the money to the taxpayers," Sotashe said.

"Up until this day, she has not proved us wrong."

'She must investigate this thing'

If she did not respond by Monday, they would bring the "whole of Cape Town" to her office at the civic centre, he said.

Sotashe said they had already spoken with staff of Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane, and were finalising their submission so they could send it on Friday.

They were taking care to include all the "proof", so that she could investigate the upgrades.

"She mustn't come to the City of Cape Town and scratch her head. She must investigate this thing," he said.

On Wednesday, Sotashe was blocked by the Democratic Alliance from making a presentation to the portfolio committee on safety and social services about the security upgrades to De Lille’s house, and the controversial disbandment of the City’s special investigations unit (SIU).

One document that Sotashe presented to the media stated that "approval was required for costs incurred of installing improved" security measures at De Lille’s house. The total is R702 075.45.

'Entitled to security upgrades at her house'

City of Cape Town Speaker Dirk Smit has since issued a statement disputing this amount, saying an amount of approximately R451 000 was paid by Council for security measures.

Another document is an invoice for R140 139.98 for five "Clearguards" installed at De Lille’s residence.

Clearguards are custom-made protective screens.

De Lille, in a statement released on Monday, said: "Regarding renovations at my house, these were paid for by myself and I am prepared to make the proof of these payments made by myself known as part of the proper legal processes."

The City condemned the "reckless actions" of the ANC in revealing confidential information about her home, and videos of where she stayed.

"The executive mayor, like any office-bearer such as a MEC, is entitled to security upgrades at her house, which she has lived in for more than two decades," Smit said earlier.

"With the council’s receipts of the security work done at the mayor’s house being made public, these security features have now been compromised," he said.

Mayor and family placed at risk

Smit said the safety upgrades undertaken at De Lille’s house were based on a risk analysis report and recommendations from a special police unit.

"The report justifies the upgrades, but as a consequence of the actions of the ANC and others, I will have to deploy the City’s VIP protection services to the mayor’s house 24 hours a day.

"The same way any resident would not make details of their security features at their homes known to all and sundry, the sharing of this information has placed the mayor and her family at risk."

The police would have to reassess her house. The council would then have to "redo the safety measures".

De Lille and Mayco member for safety, security and social services JP Smith were suspended from DA activities on Tuesday, following De Lille’s statement the day before, where she said she had briefed her lawyers on "malicious and defamatory remarks" that Smith had made relating to the security upgrades.

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/an...-home-20171005
    My views are not cast in stone

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by schumi View Post
    they also climbed onto a bakkie to try and peek over her walls, ostensibly to check if there was a Nkandla-style "firepool".

No one seemed to be at home and there was no pool in sight.
    oh dear

Super Grandmaster

I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Super Grandmaster

EXCLUSIVE: I am the target of an extensive smear campaign - JP Smith

Cape Town - Cape Town mayoral committee member JP Smith believes he is the target of an extreme smear campaign which has involved individuals apparently registering his details with substance abuse facilities so it appears he needs help for drug, alcohol and gambling addictions.

He also believes his private residence in Hout Bay, which he co-owns and where his parents stay with him, has been the target of espionage.

"I have received death threats in the past. I take the exposure of my security seriously," Smith told News24 on Thursday.
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...smith-20171103

welcome to the politics game..
    BSG -the best show!

Personally I think De Lille is dodgy AF. She belongs in the ANC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Personally I think De Lille is dodgy AF. She belongs in the ANC.
    +1

Grandmaster

Under De Lille, fees for services have shot up, while actual services have taken a nose dive and gangsterism and crime have reached new heights. Cant help but wonder where all the money is going, and how she proposes to lend the city money to fix its water problems. Almost daily service protests are the norm in the cape today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast