Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: When going in to IT where is the best place to learn

  1. #1

    Post When going in to IT where is the best place to learn

    I left school in 2014 and I did not have the money to further my education and I had to get a job.
    I always wanted to go in to IT and now I have save quite a bit of money.
    I need advice on where to study or find out about learnerships or if there are companies I should approach


    Can anyone advise me please even courses


    Thank you

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dk101 View Post
    I left school in 2014 and I did not have the money to further my education and I had to get a job.
    I always wanted to go in to IT and now I have save quite a bit of money.
    I need advice on where to study or find out about learnerships or if there are companies I should approach


    Can anyone advise me please even courses


    Thank you
    Which part of IT are you interested in? There are a number of disciplines to choose from with good opportunities so give us an indication what in IT you would like to do?
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnc

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dk101 View Post
    I left school in 2014 and I did not have the money to further my education and I had to get a job.
    I always wanted to go in to IT and now I have save quite a bit of money.
    I need advice on where to study or find out about learnerships or if there are companies I should approach


    Can anyone advise me please even courses


    Thank you
    Certifications

    Get the Comptia trio (A+,N+,Sec+)

    I personally skipped N+ and went CCNA
    Meme Rehab

  4. #4

    Default

    I am interested in websites and applications for websites I also enjoy taking things apart on computers and putting back together

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dk101 View Post
    I am interested in websites and applications for websites I also enjoy taking things apart on computers and putting back together
    static_sa has the right idea for the taking apart and putting them back together part of things. Those are definitely good options to look at

    As far as websites go you are looking at development. Have you played around with building some basic websites (check out tutorials online) to see if this is something you like?
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnc

  6. #6

    Default

    All depends on what you would like to do.

    Sounds like you keen on web development.
    Look at the two below sites and do the free courses to see for sure it is something you will enjoy.
    They free so will give you an idea of what it will be like. If you enjoy in then you can look at spending the money on a formal course.
    https://www.codecademy.com/
    https://www.freecodecamp.org

    Taking apart and rebuilding computers is very different to what you will do in the corporate world. Repairing computers is only a small part of infrastructure.
    In terms of infrastructure(hardware), look at shadowing someone for a week to get a better understanding what it is about.

    Other option is to look at cloud based technologies as this is where the future is going.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdes View Post
    All depends on what you would like to do.

    Sounds like you keen on web development.
    Look at the two below sites and do the free courses to see for sure it is something you will enjoy.
    They free so will give you an idea of what it will be like. If you enjoy in then you can look at spending the money on a formal course.
    https://www.codecademy.com/
    https://www.freecodecamp.org

    Taking apart and rebuilding computers is very different to what you will do in the corporate world. Repairing computers is only a small part of infrastructure.
    In terms of infrastructure(hardware), look at shadowing someone for a week to get a better understanding what it is about.

    Other option is to look at cloud based technologies as this is where the future is going.
    Corporate world, speaking about laptops mostly, I have never had to repair someone's physical component, because Dell has onsite support, where they send someone over to replace the part (If under warranty)
    Meme Rehab

  8. #8
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    64,176

    Default

    Get a degree, it's for life.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  9. #9
    The Legend Pho3nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    On the toilet
    Posts
    25,866

    Default

    If your looking to go long term into IT, just do the degree. Painful but worth it
    Disclaimer:All posts are personal opinion and not the opinion of anyone else or any other entity.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Get a degree, it's for life.
    $$$
    Meme Rehab

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    64,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by static_sa View Post
    $$$
    Unisa part time study.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Unisa part time study.
    UNISA FTW

    Swallow a chill pill when you have to deal with administration, but otherwise its fine

  13. #13
    Grandmaster Nameite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Joburg - Northgate / China - Beijing
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    My bro is at wethinkcode, its for free but pretty difficult

    Its free but you gotta work for one of the sponsors near the end of the coarse.

    They learn all type of codes in the beginning and specialize near the end, google them and find out, they're in JHB CDB


    I personally worked in IT infra as a project manager and tearing down and building PCs (for friends and family) for the last 10 years, not much opportunities anymore, coding is the way to go (at least for the next year years)
    Mechrevo X5 - i7-4700MQ/GTX860M/16gig DDR1600L/256G SSD + 1TB 7200/15.6" 1080P LED/ - game the budget way, on the road~

  14. #14
    Super Grandmaster SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberton
    Posts
    7,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameite View Post
    My bro is at wethinkcode, its for free but pretty difficult

    Its free but you gotta work for one of the sponsors near the end of the coarse.

    They learn all type of codes in the beginning and specialize near the end, google them and find out, they're in JHB CDB


    I personally worked in IT infra as a project manager and tearing down and building PCs (for friends and family) for the last 10 years, not much opportunities anymore, coding is the way to go (at least for the next year years)
    This. Coding and Cloud computing.Choose one of these.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameite View Post
    My bro is at wethinkcode, its for free but pretty difficult

    Its free but you gotta work for one of the sponsors near the end of the coarse.

    They learn all type of codes in the beginning and specialize near the end, google them and find out, they're in JHB CDB

    *Braamfontein.... don't scare them off completely

    One of the sponsors is BBD. If you can land a position with them and do your part you'll have a fantastic start to your career.
    DANGER

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best place in JHB to learn and get a certificate for C#
    By the_calhax in forum Software and Web Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
  2. Best place to learn app development
    By GhostSixFour in forum Software
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22-01-2014, 08:32 AM
  3. A fun way to learn VIM!
    By jsheed_sa in forum Linux
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24-10-2013, 06:19 PM
  4. Best place to re-learn Afrikaans
    By Telkomisaloser in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-06-2011, 05:34 PM
  5. When will they learn
    By mancombseepgood in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •