Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setup Help

Default Setup Help

So my RAIN router just lit up last night, hitting 30meg down and 20 up so well chuffed! However this is the first time I'm dealing with WAN ports and the like and need some help.

I basically want the B618 to act as a modem and nothing else, it's actually going to go in the roof(getting a poynting to go even faster!) with an Ethernet cable down to my "real" router, I have it set up now with LAN cable out the B618 into the WAN port of my Asus and it's working but torrents can't connect, presume I need to port forward but where?

How do I set it up so the Asus handles all routing, IP's, DHCP etc and the Huawei just does modem things. I read a lot of large media files(cough) off a NAS so the internal routing needs to be lekker.
    Importing made easy!

From other threads here and the knowledge that I have, you can't "modem only" the B618, but you can NAT, which will mean you have a double NAT setup. Basicly, your B618 will get an external IP from RAIN. Then it will have a LAN IP, let say 192.168.1.1 (the gateway IP when you connect directly to it. Then your Asus' WAN port will connect to a LAN port on the B618. Not sure the settings on the Asus, but I use Untangle and on there, my external interface will have a static IP of 192.168.1.10 with gateway 192.168.1.1 (as per this example) and then my LAN interface 192.168.2.1 and this will NAT to external interface.

As for your torrents, downloading won't require port forwarding, but seeding will, if it doesn't work. Again, in my solution, I didn't have to port forward anything, but I can download and seed. Keep in mind, I have ADSL.

Remember, it is good practice to disable wifi and DHCP on the B618. If your switch and AP (unless the Asus is your AP)is connected to the Asus, it will handle all the DHCP requests, unless you have set up DHCP relay on the Asus.

Hope this makes sense...?

You won't make that thing go faster, it's throttled by RAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Hope this makes sense...?
    Not one iota of sense unfortunately. It's not even an Asus, it's a TP-Link Archer D7 ADSL router, no idea where I got Asus from!

I've got LAN on Huawei to WAN on D7, everything is running swimingly, but I can't access the D7's setup menu so that tells me the Huawei is running the show and I don't want that. I wanna set this thing up, chuck it in the roof and forget it exists. I hate this double router nonsense that's becoming prevalent, and I can't use just the Huawei because it's extremely feature limited and the wifi is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    You won't make that thing go faster, it's throttled by RAIN.
    But it will be more stable, signal has fluctuated between -66 and -69 so far this morning, you lose 3-4 meg between 66 and 69

EDIT: that ^^^ may be bull****, seems the speedtest server was bouncing around and I may be maxing out some of them, the myBB one is producing constant results. But I've got the antenna already from a previous install so will definitely be using it.

EDIT EDIT: torrents was because of Windows firewall picking up a new network and there wasn't an exception.
    Last edited by ScottulusMaximus; 04-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Importing made easy!

Which antenna do you have? Have a look, there is another thread about this, which can help you.

And that is why I have the windows firewall disabled and let my Untangle do all the work.

Edit: Unfortunately you will have to do the double router thing, as the B618 can't be changed to modem only mode.

Which antenna do you have? Have a look, there is another thread about this, which can help you.

And that is why I have the windows firewall disabled and let my Untangle do all the work.

Edit: Unfortunately you will have to do the double router thing, as the B618 can't be changed to modem only mode.
    Poynting XPOL-0006, it's the right one.

Do you know of a guide to setting up the double routers? What you're suggesting is exactly what I want but it's not getting through to me.
    Importing made easy!

Can I ask that you read this thread? Maybe that will shed some light on the subject?

NAT: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...nection-limit)

This is just FYI: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...awei-B618s-22d

Can I ask that you read this thread? Maybe that will shed some light on the subject?

NAT: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...nection-limit)

This is just FYI: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...awei-B618s-22d
    Sorted thanks to this gent, PEBKAC error.

Ping: 18ms
    Download: 47.72Mbps
    Upload: 19.24Mbps

Aweh!!!
    Importing made easy!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    Sorted thanks to this gent, PEBKAC error.

Ping: 18ms
    Download: 47.72Mbps
    Upload: 19.24Mbps

Aweh!!!
    Nice. Now please PM me your credit card details

I did something similar to what u wanted.

I disabled the wireless, and left the router as is, then on my actual router I gave it a static address, then set that address as DMZ in the LTE router.
    Mechrevo X5 - i7-4700MQ/GTX860M/16gig DDR1600L/256G SSD + 1TB 7200/15.6" 1080P LED/ - game the budget way, on the road~

Quote Originally Posted by Nameite View Post
    I did something similar to what u wanted.

I disabled the wireless, and left the router as is, then on my actual router I gave it a static address, then set that address as DMZ in the LTE router.
    Yip, same setup here.

Issue I experienced was that in "DSL Router" mode my TP-Link acts as a DHCP relay on the WAN port so the Huawei was doing all the work. I had ruled this out because I had already changed it to "Wireless Router" mode 3 days ago, forgot to apply the setting though....
    Importing made easy!

+ Reply to Thread