Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zuma recounts apartheid police arrest during Groot Marico monument launch

Super Grandmaster

Default Zuma recounts apartheid police arrest during Groot Marico monument launch

Zeerust President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday recalled the day in 1963 when he, along with 51 others were arrested by the apartheid security branch police.

Zuma was speaking at the launch of the Groot Marico Heritage Site and Liberation Heritage Route of Bokone Bophirima near Zeerust, in the North West.

Speaking of that fateful day, June 8, 1963, Zuma said he and other freedom fighters left Johannesburg in four minibus taxis (combis) and a private car driven by their commander, Lombard Mbatha.

Mbatha would accompany the comrades to the Botswana border for their crossing into exile and back again for their return to South Africa.

On that day, there were 52 people including Mbatha.

"Three combis plus him [Mbatha] were arrested in the evening and our driver, who thought he was bright, did not follow the national road, he wanted to take shortcuts and he got lost.

"So we stopped in the morning and he told us we could not go because people only get dropped off at night, not during the day..."

Zuma promises to tell his story

Zuma, who was 21 years-old at the time, said the group of men forced their driver to continue driving.

The men were eventually stopped by security branch police but they did not even know they were in grave danger until they were taken to Zeerust for questioning.

"So we are sitting in the van and this policeman told us in Setswana that three combis and a private car had been arrested and taken to Pretoria. He asked us where we were going, but we did not understand what he was saying."

A comrade whose code name was Piet Mahlangu whispered to the men: "Kuphelile madoda (It is over gentlemen)."

"That is when we realised that the whole group was arrested... We were eventually taken to a Marabastad police station where we were beaten, and beaten and beaten..."

He said the monument was important because it told of events that he would never forget.

Zuma said, once again, that he would write a book in which he would tell his story, his way.

"I am giving you snippets because I am going to write a book with the greatest details including what happened."

News24
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...aunch-20171004
    My views are not cast in stone

"I am giving you snippets because I am going to write a book with the greatest details including what happened."
    I wonder what font size it will be in? Eleventy hundred?

What are the chances he's embelishing the encounter? This is JZ after all. I wager the book will be released before 2019 general elections. A screen adaptation will probably be commissioned and produced for tv. He's delaying appointment of SABC board and meeting key employees in private.
    Last edited by ForceFate; 05-10-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Grandmaster

I wonder if his book will have a full disclosure of the public funds he stole, all the bribes he solicited, and all the extramarital affairs.
    Last edited by TysonRoux; 13-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Will his book describe his roll in the Camp Quatro atrocities?

Those weren't policemen, they were zoologists looking for the retarded knob-headed frog.

Now I see why they blame apartheid for everything, I also blame apartheid. If they killed him and his fellow scum there we wouldn't have the f**k for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiekoffie View Post
    Now I see why they blame apartheid for everything, I also blame apartheid. If they killed him and his fellow scum there we wouldn't have the f**k for president.
    Plenty of his type out there.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonRoux View Post
    I wonder if his book will have a full disclosure of the public funds he stole, all the bribes he solicited, and all the extramarital affairs.
    It's his book, his rules, none of that nonsense will find it's way into his book, maybe we will see the names of those who are stealing public funds, he knows who they are and he is watching them.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

You do realise in order to write a book, you have to be able to actually write. Wonder if he knows what a pencil is. Even though writing is now done on computer.

So one monument at Groot Marico where he was arrested, and another at Saxonwold Shebeen where he was captured?
    TimeDesign, the recommended school timetabling/scheduling program for the Free State Department of Education.

Super Grandmaster

TBH he should've been beaten to death and I feel no shame saying that. The way he has damaged this country pales in comparison.
    Ottoman cannons can't destroy Byzantine walls. 1453 was an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiekoffie View Post
    Wonder if he knows what a pencil is.
    He might have heard of pencils but certainly not rubbers.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by patrick123 View Post
    So one monument at Groot Marico where he was arrested, and another at Saxonwold Shebeen where he was captured?
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WA View Post
    He might have heard of pencils but certainly not rubbers.
    Unfortunately, neither did his father.
    TimeDesign, the recommended school timetabling/scheduling program for the Free State Department of Education.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast