Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Thread: Telkom LTE is unplayable for Online Gaming!!!!!!!

  1. #1

    Thumbs down Telkom LTE is unplayable for Online Gaming!!!!!!!

    @Telkomza

    I have send various e-mails to Telkom regarding this problem

    This problem started Sunday 1 October 17 @15:00.

    Since then weekly @20:00 becomes unplayable for online gaming. Latencies go through the roof 1000ms.

    I have send of two e-mails this week received 0 so far. ( Down speed 1mbps and up 6.5mbps)

    Telkom you have come so far now you letting your guard down.
    Last edited by HowTo; 05-10-2017 at 07:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster cavedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    8,972

    Default

    Change your lte band to 1800MHz for better latency.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Change your lte band to 1800MHz for better latency.
    I have done so 2300Mhz and 1800Mhz does not work.

    Under 2300Mhz SINR =23dB and under 1800Mhz =9dB. Higher is better.

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster cavedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    8,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HowTo View Post
    I have done so 2300Mhz and 1800Mhz does not work.

    Under 2300Mhz SINR =23dB and under 1800Mhz =9dB. Higher is better.
    Indeed SNR higher is better but 1800MHz catches noise easier so don't look at the SNR value for now as 9dB SNR for 1800MHz is pretty good. Test the latency on the 1800MHz band compared to the 2300MHz. 1800MHz will always be lower speeds and weaker stats but could provide a better latency when 2300MHz get congested during peak times.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Indeed SNR higher is better but 1800MHz catches noise easier so don't look at the SNR value for now as 9dB SNR for 1800MHz is pretty good. Test the latency on the 1800MHz band compared to the 2300MHz. 1800MHz will always be lower speeds and weaker stats but could provide a better latency when 2300MHz get congested during peak times.
    Ok i will force it tonight too 1800Mhz. Lets see how it goes.

    Think with all the problems i had i selected Auto, then it jumps between 4 cell id 57xxxxx numbers.
    5700102
    5700099
    5700096
    5700106

    Lets see if i can play beyond 20:00 tonight.
    Last edited by HowTo; 05-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster cavedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    8,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HowTo View Post
    Ok i will force it tonight too 1800Mhz. Lets see how it goes.

    Think with all the problems i had i selected Auto, then it jumps between 4 cell id 57xxxxx numbers.
    5700102
    5700099
    5700096
    5700106

    Lets see if i can play beyond 20:00 tonight.
    Yes those numbers suggest same tower but different frequencies and panels on the towers. Should not jump but could if your antenna points directly between 2 then the router might change.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Yes those numbers suggest same tower but different frequencies and panels on the towers. Should not jump but could if your antenna points directly between 2 then the router might change.
    Speed test wtf: 1800Mhz

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 6410 kbps (801.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 17517 kbps (2189.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 194 ms
    Jitter: 13 ms
    ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎05‎ ‎18‎:‎43‎:‎08

    upload is better wtf, network belly up. At 1800Mhz.
    Last edited by HowTo; 05-10-2017 at 08:51 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Another speed test 1800Mhz

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1357 kbps (169.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 11023 kbps (1377.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 211 ms
    Jitter: 170 ms
    ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎05‎ ‎20‎:‎45‎:‎12
    Last edited by HowTo; 05-10-2017 at 08:51 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    2300Mhz



    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 832 kbps (104 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 6386 kbps (798.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 215 ms
    Jitter: 4 ms
    ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎05‎ ‎20‎:‎49‎:‎36

  10. #10

    Default

    Morning

    I have done what every reasonable person would have done. Signed up with rain lte-a , month to month.
    No contracts what so ever.
    If it does not work out move on.

  11. #11

    Default

    Telkom

    check this out at 15:00

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 944 kbps (118 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 13573 kbps (1696.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 214 ms
    Jitter: 7 ms
    ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎06‎ ‎15‎:‎10‎:‎23

    Another one All above setting is London UK

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1596 kbps (199.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 7497 kbps (937.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 205 ms
    Jitter: 8 ms
    ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎06‎ ‎15‎:‎26‎:‎23

    Leaves much desired.
    Last edited by HowTo; 06-10-2017 at 03:28 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Morning

    Found over the weekend my Signal dropped from the router. Indication was Red and nor Cyan colour anymore.

    It is strange Telkom ignores you in regard of this.

    I have received direction from Rain were to point my antenna. Waiting for router and lets see if there is live after Telkom.

  13. #13
    Super Grandmaster Lament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
    Posts
    5,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HowTo View Post
    Morning

    Found over the weekend my Signal dropped from the router. Indication was Red and nor Cyan colour anymore.

    It is strange Telkom ignores you in regard of this.

    I have received direction from Rain were to point my antenna. Waiting for router and lets see if there is live after Telkom.
    I also made the move to RAIN. I have had it now for +- 14 days, of the 14 days there was 1 day whereby I got bad speeds, this has however been resolved and I'm getting 70mbps every night. Telkom on the otherhard I have issues each and every single night, for months now.

    There are however people on RAIN who has issues, go and check on the "RAIN" subforum. But I'm with "BuzyBuy" and personally, I can't be happier (Touchwood)
    Please donate to the SPCA
    "I can not be defeated, I defeat all man, if he dies he dies." Ivan Drago

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lament View Post
    I also made the move to RAIN. I have had it now for +- 14 days, of the 14 days there was 1 day whereby I got bad speeds, this has however been resolved and I'm getting 70mbps every night. Telkom on the otherhard I have issues each and every single night, for months now.

    There are however people on RAIN who has issues, go and check on the "RAIN" subforum. But I'm with "BuzyBuy" and personally, I can't be happier (Touchwood)
    The good thing about this I'm not bound by a contract. Month-Month i will run it. If i don't like it, I cancel.

    We assume to much hear in South-Africa. They give us crappy service but we keep on paying.


    I read about them don't know who they are.
    Could be that i might be joining them in the coming months. I'm a vivid gamer so latency is a big issue here.
    I have contacted Telkom here on the forum and by e-mail and the great news is no response. What does this tell you.
    You can decide for your self.
    I'm not the casual down-loader who does not care when download will be completed.

    There should be law's in place that protect the man in the street, companies that supply bad service.
    Last edited by HowTo; 09-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    I also experience such with my Telkom LTE thingy, on LTE the connection is very good but the performance is totally unacceptable roaming on MTN or not, it takes me a good 15 minutes to download a 2mb email attachment and that just pisses me off, I have complained on Facebook, I've called their call centres, i've complained at the stores but nothing.

    The 3G no the other hand is alright. I really don't understand why, but at least I am not bound to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Telkom Uncapped and online gaming
    By DJZassie in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-12-2013, 12:24 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-06-2013, 05:20 PM
  3. Telkom Wimax and Online Gaming?
    By Gozzy in forum WiMax
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
  4. unplayable ...again
    By Volt4ge in forum Rain LTE-A
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
  5. Telkom warns against online gaming, P2P on ADSL
    By rpm in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 20-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •