Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Netflix and Kodi Streamer

Default Netflix and Kodi Streamer

Hey guys

So I've lately been messing around with my Tv's and toys in the house to get Netflix + kodi streaming pretty much in every room we spend a lot of time in so that we don't have to move anything around to get streaming going.

I have an MxQ_pro 4k streaming box which works decently for Kodi, but netflix on the older android builds suck badly.

I have multiple Raspberry pi's (some 2 model b's and a rpi 3 model b) but they are just not cutting it yet. They work nicely with Kodi, but the netflix support on them are almost non existent.

Lastly I have been looking for a way to stream on my PC (in my gaming room) to my tv in the bedroom which is the greatest problem at the moment, but I can't find anyway to do the rendering on the PC and pass it to the Pi, remote desktop is not sufficient.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make the last point happen or can recommend some hardware which won't break the bank that would stream kodi and netflix from the same device?

The alternative would be to buy a cheapish PC and put it there, but I want a streamer box setup to work first

No cheap option.

Mx 4k is a good device, thought it would be good enough.

Ps4 has the best Netflix interface and quality imo.

Quote Originally Posted by R4ziel View Post
    Lastly I have been looking for a way to stream on my PC (in my gaming room) to my tv in the bedroom which is the greatest problem at the moment, but I can't find anyway to do the rendering on the PC and pass it to the Pi, remote desktop is not sufficient.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make the last point happen or can recommend some hardware which won't break the bank that would stream kodi and netflix from the same device?
    You need a Netflix approved device for quality Netflix streaming. The cheapest seems to be $39 Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd gen or 2016 model that comes with Alexa remote), but Amazon do not ship to SA. Just installed Kodi on the stick, works great with Covenant. I didn't try to play files from PC yet, it shouldn't be a problem. With a stick you do essentially avoid rendering on PC, Intel CPU's are not great for this, I have learnt hard recently.

Be aware that Amazon Fire TV Stick do not support the latest coding standards that are becoming increasingly popular, so it won't last long. H.265 (HEVC) main profile Level 4.0 (8bit colour) at FHD 30fps, 25Mbps is the maximum it can play and there is no support for YouTube VP8/VP9, so double check what content you are downloading on the PC.

The highly anticipated device is a Telkom LIT box, a powerful 4K device with built in Netflix, see more: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...roid-media-box

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    You need a Netflix approved device for quality Netflix streaming. The cheapest seems to be $39 Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd gen or 2016 model that comes with Alexa remote), but Amazon do not ship to SA. Just installed Kodi on the stick, works great with Covenant. I didn't try to play files from PC yet, it shouldn't be a problem. With a stick you do essentially avoid rendering on PC, Intel CPU's are not great for this, I have learnt hard recently.

Be aware that Amazon Fire TV Stick do not support the latest coding standards that are becoming increasingly popular, so it won't last long. H.265 (HEVC) main profile Level 4.0 (8bit colour) at FHD 30fps, 25Mbps is the maximum it can play and there is no support for YouTube VP8/VP9, so double check what content you are downloading on the PC.

The highly anticipated device is a Telkom LIT box, a powerful 4K device with built in Netflix, see more: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...roid-media-box
    Yeah I primarilly use Covenant and Netflix, no local media streaming to this device so that's a good alternative. Thabk you ill check the firestick out.

The problem with the MxQ, is that its running android 5.1 and the netflix app for that lags like its getting paid, the audio sometimes goes 5 secs out of sync. I could update that to android 6.0 but I've bricked it a couple of times trying that as it has a random Rockchip chipset and all the guides are for other devices. Its not a bad device, but the one I have needs an android update and that's not as easy as it sounds

+ Reply to Thread