Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engagement ring - where to buy

Default Engagement ring - where to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I dunno. I used to think the ring is a "waste" of money until I had to get one. I'm not saying break the bank but somehow going cheap on a ring makes it feel like just another thing you do. If the cost of the ring doesn't hurt a bit it just doesn't feel like it's an important decision.

That's me though. I certainly didn't go 3x my salary, not even close but I also didn't go to Juelia to pick up a R3000 jobbie.

Different strokes I guess.
    Nah I don’t mean use a lucky packer ring.

But specifically don’t fall into that three times your gross salary trap.

If you are spending more than one month’s net salary then you’ve Overcooked it.

And if she expects three times your salary for you to “show your love” then she can **** right off as her priorities are not in line with someone you want to spend your life with.

It all just comes down to living within your means.

By example I spent about the same on rings (all of them) for the two of us that WE spent on our honeymoon.

Even more so WE spent about the same on our entire wedding, but this is a bit of a fluke as we struck it lucky on some things we paid very little for or not at all.

The engagement ring can be an I thing, everything else should very much be a WE thing.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 06-10-2017 at 09:20 PM.

It also depends on your life style and how much you value certain things. Both my wife and I came out of 'poor' families, so at the time we got married a R1000 was allot of money. I bought her a practical and beautiful ring, one she can wear everyday and then 2 or 3 years after we got married I added two bands with 8 small diamonds in on each side of the rings. Looks really nice.... I think so anyways. ☺️
    Call it a "believe" "faith" "truth" "theory" whatever you want to. Just don't call it science.

Master

What is this engagement and marriage things people speak of ?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostim View Post
    What is this engagement and marriage things people speak of ?
    It's that thing you do when you decide you want to argue with one person for the rest of your life.
    DANGER

It's that thing you do when you decide you want to argue with one person for the rest of your life.
    I learned it is best not to argue. That is what the Forum is for.

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Nah I don’t mean use a lucky packer ring.

But specifically don’t fall into that three times your gross salary trap.

If you are spending more than one month’s net salary then you’ve Overcooked it.

And if she expects three times your salary for you to “show your love” then she can **** right off as her priorities are not in line with someone you want to spend your life with.
    Agreed. If she expects a 3x your salary ring your problems are only starting...

If it was up to me the actual wedding ceremony would be the thing we spend the least amount of money on and the honeymoon the most. Maybe even get married on a cruise ship on our "honeymoon". Now if only she saw it that way
    DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Colin62 View Post
    Don’t you just love these “Where can I...” threads where the OP doesn’t bother to say where he lives?
    They are the worst!
    I'm in the western suburbs of jhb.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I was thinking to buy in the sub R10k range. Something that looks good, is a bit special, but not just expensive for the sake of being expensive. I can't imagine walking around SA with R50k+ on your finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian, Conan View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I was thinking to buy in the sub R10k range. Something that looks good, is a bit special, but not just expensive for the sake of being expensive. I can't imagine walking around SA with R50k+ on your finger.
    I’m also in the West. We got ours from here https://thediamondring.co.za/ they open on Saturdays. We chose from their catalog and made few changes on our rings.

Master

Now why would someone spend so much money when the argue part is free ?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

I dunno. I used to think the ring is a "waste" of money until I had to get one. I'm not saying break the bank but somehow going cheap on a ring makes it feel like just another thing you do. If the cost of the ring doesn't hurt a bit it just doesn't feel like it's an important decision.

That's me though. I certainly didn't go 3x my salary, not even close but I also didn't go to Juelia to pick up a R3000 jobbie.

Different strokes I guess.
    Yeah just pick something between 10 and 15K. That idea of the ring should cost three months of salary is utter tripe.

You usually contract onegina soon afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostim View Post
    Now why would someone spend so much money when the argue part is free ?
    Ammo...
    DANGER

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123