Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Nobel peace prize awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons

Super Grandmaster

Default 2017 Nobel peace prize awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_pri...aureates/2017/

The Nobel Peace Prize 2017 was awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) "for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons".

Super Grandmaster

I'm still puzzled as to why they pre-emptively awarded it to president Obama.

They also seem to have foot-in-mouth after the present Myanmar genocide fiasco.

Either way, I'm keen to visit the museum in Oslo later this year. I guess I'll have to knock on the door since there are Nobels inside.

Super Grandmaster

Aliens in human form. They just want us to get rid of weapons that could defend us from the invasion.

A Djinn

If the Americans and Koreans really do go to war, the organisation will have to change their name to ICAN't.
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Speaker extraordinaire - I still get goosebumps on hearing his speeches. Salut.

As to nobel prize, I think the same as you and I am sure we are in majority. However, there seem to be some explanation (very lame in my opinion)

https://abluteau.wordpress.com/2009/...s-controversy/

The Peace Prize Committee, made up of Norwegians, appeared to have anticipated criticism of its choice. (The other Nobel prizes are awarded by a Swedish committee.) Committee Chairman Thorbjorn Jagland said the prize often has been used to encourage laureates rather than reward them for their achievements.

“The committee wants to not only endorse but contribute to enhancing that kind of international policy and attitude which [Obama] stands for,” said Mr. Jagland, a former Norwegian prime minister, said at a news conference.
    #As a foreigner settled in SA, I am beginning to understand why masses continue to support ANC. Thanks to this forum.

Super Grandmaster

So what has the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons actually achieved ? So far as I can tell everyone who currently owns a nuke has shown them the middle finger and everyone who want to own one has also shown them the middle finger ? I guess thats enough for Nobel prize ?
    Ubuntu is an African term for "I can't configure Debian"

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    So what has the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons actually achieved ? So far as I can tell everyone who currently owns a nuke has shown them the middle finger and everyone who want to own one has also shown them the middle finger ? I guess thats enough for Nobel prize ?
    I'm with you on that one. They haven't achieved or maintained any demonstrable peace through their actions.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It was given the award "for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons"
    LBRY is a free, open, and community-run digital marketplace.

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Slight tangent: has any nation with nuclear weapons ever given them up entirely except for South Africa?

I realize the answer is probably a quick google away, but I suspect it is either "no" or "only a handful". If that's the case the various treaties over the years have really achieved nothing.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

The US sits with more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world. Nobel Prize is the biggest bull**** ever. Started off well, turned into retarded rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiekoffie View Post
    The US sits with more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world. Nobel Prize is the biggest bull**** ever. Started off well, turned into retarded rubbish.
    Russia has more nuclear weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiekoffie View Post
    It was $hit because they figured you have to give it out every year. Which they should have stopped the moment they realised the world was turning a step in the wrong direction.

The fact that someone like Julian Assange, Edward Snowden or Wikileaks haven't been awarded the peace prize for exposing how the governments of the world spy on people is all the evidence in the world for me that it is B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    The fact that someone like Julian Assange, Edward Snowden or Wikileaks haven't been awarded the peace prize for exposing how the governments of the world spy on people is all the evidence in the world for me that it is B.S.
    Would have been a little awkward given both were being prosecuted for their actions by a certain Nobel laureate's administration

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    it depends how you define peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerisgood View Post
    Godammit if I meet you I'll eat your eyes out for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    Slight tangent: has any nation with nuclear weapons ever given them up entirely except for South Africa?

I realize the answer is probably a quick google away, but I suspect it is either "no" or "only a handful". If that's the case the various treaties over the years have really achieved nothing.
    Who said we gave them up?

https://businesstech.co.za/news/gene...ar-explosives/

It's as simple as putting them back together again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast