Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How to watch 4K movies via USB/HDMI on 4K TV?

  1. #1
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Posts
    1,378

    Default How to watch 4K movies via USB/HDMI on 4K TV?

    Hi all,

    I want to know how to watch 4K movies on a USB drive on a 4K TV? I've tried putting the USB drive in to the USB ports on the TV but the quality is not 4K. Do I need one of those TV boxes?

  2. #2

    Default

    What TV is it? Are you saying that your TV converts 4K resolution video and displays it at a lower resolution? Can not be.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    Hi all,

    I want to know how to watch 4K movies on a USB drive on a 4K TV? I've tried putting the USB drive in to the USB ports on the TV but the quality is not 4K. Do I need one of those TV boxes?
    Do you actually have proper 4k content? Is the USB drive fast enough?

    Your TV will upscale lower resolution content. It's still low resolution content at the end of the day. Will not magically make it better.

    Get some 4k content of youtube.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensorei View Post
    What TV is it? Are you saying that your TV converts 4K resolution video and displays it at a lower resolution? Can not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNERGY View Post
    Do you actually have proper 4k content? Is the USB drive fast enough?

    Your TV will upscale lower resolution content. It's still low resolution content at the end of the day. Will not magically make it better.

    Get some 4k content of youtube.
    Some TVs that use Android can't play 4k files,mine can't, it can only display 4k through the HDMI port

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sumen View Post
    Some TVs that use Android can't play 4k files,mine can't, it can only display 4k through the HDMI port
    Well there you go, you answered your own question. Your 4K TV can only only play 4k through HDMI because of it's Android OS.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensorei View Post
    Well there you go, you answered your own question. Your 4K TV can only only play 4k through HDMI because of it's Android OS.
    Wrong person, I never ask the question, it was @salt

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sumen View Post
    Wrong person, I never ask the question, it was @salt
    Haha. Been a long week...

  8. #8
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    But yes...that is what I think, I recon it has to be played through the HDMI port. So thus why I wonder if I need a TV box where I can put the USB drive with the 4K movies on and push it to the TV through the HDMI - I believe you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K

    I am 100% sure the stuff I got is 4K, the movies are like 50GB a movie

  9. #9

    Default

    if only there was some sort of way to easily identify the people who are posting without reading their names...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    But yes...that is what I think, I recon it has to be played through the HDMI port. So thus why I wonder if I need a TV box where I can put the USB drive with the 4K movies on and push it to the TV through the HDMI - I believe you need HDMI 2.0 for 4K

    I am 100% sure the stuff I got is 4K, the movies are like 50GB a movie
    HDMI 1.4 can handle 4k , HDMI 2.0 is for hdr.

    It's best you get a box, make sure it can play 4k videos

  11. #11
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Any suggestions?

  12. #12

    Default

    The USB flash drive (stick) might also be too slow. Maybe copy something from the flash drive to your PC to see its read speed or run an utility.

    Edit: I see that the TV displays it so maybe the read speed is fine.
    Last edited by Fro; 06-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    I think the TV shops play 4K DVD's connected to the TV's 4K HDMI port. My TV has two 4K HDMI ports. I think I need to find a TV box that can stream it from the USB drive to the TV over HDMI. But I do think I need to check the USB transfer speed too.

    I tried streaming Youtube 4K but my little 10Mbps ADSL can't cope haha

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    I think the TV shops play 4K DVD's connected to the TV's 4K HDMI port. My TV has two 4K HDMI ports. I think I need to find a TV box that can stream it from the USB drive to the TV over HDMI. But I do think I need to check the USB transfer speed too.

    I tried streaming Youtube 4K but my little 10Mbps ADSL can't cope haha
    Tell us what TV it is , because if it has the option of 4k on YouTube then it should be able to handle a 4k video

  15. #15
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    East Rand
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Its a Hisense - sorry missed that q. It can def handle 4K video...I just don't think it works through the USB ports.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. You will soon watch 4K movies on Blu-Ray
    By Kevin Lancaster in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 13-05-2015, 07:19 PM
  2. Give me some Sci-Fi movies to watch!
    By thestaggy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 01:44 PM
  3. Movies to watch in HD
    By Kokkerot in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13-09-2011, 10:59 AM
  4. Best player to watch HD movies?
    By plazma in forum Software
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 22-04-2010, 05:33 PM
  5. Almost 90% of PS3 owners watch Blu-ray movies
    By I am Penguin in forum Gaming
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 13-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •