Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mtn uncapped lite throttle speed

Default Mtn uncapped lite throttle speed

Hi, is anyone else still on the mtn uncapped lite contract? Mtn throttles the line speed to 384kbps after 3gb fair use, which was still managable for general webbrowsing and slower dowloads, but it appears as if the throttle speed has been reduced to about 64 or 72kbps - which makes even normal webbrowsing a challenge. This happened from the 5th of Oct 2017. Did anyone else notice this change?

I got my SMS about two days ago and still doing OK. Have not bothered to check speed but it is still ok

i have the same issue on hspa+. If i force 4g connection im back to normal capped speeds. However, i used to be able to run a few devices @ this speed, but on 4g only 1 so cant buffer and browse. It's crap. Just like eMpTyN

Quote Originally Posted by M~se~P View Post
    i have the same issue on hspa+. If i force 4g connection im back to normal capped speeds. However, i used to be able to run a few devices @ this speed, but on 4g only 1 so cant buffer and browse. It's crap. Just like eMpTyN
    Thanks for the feedback. I still have a very old simcard- will change it to an LTE capable one and to see how it goes.

Angry You're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lourens Erasmus View Post
    Hi, is anyone else still on the mtn uncapped lite contract? Mtn throttles the line speed to 384kbps after 3gb fair use, which was still managable for general webbrowsing and slower dowloads, but it appears as if the throttle speed has been reduced to about 64 or 72kbps - which makes even normal webbrowsing a challenge. This happened from the 5th of Oct 2017. Did anyone else notice this change?
    You're not alone. I also noticed a subtantial drop in "throttled" speed since about 05-10-2017 and this is not acceptable.
    MTN, what are you trying to prove to us by doing this. I am aware of the fair use policy of when you reach 3gb, you will be throttled to 256 kbps. Well I don't even get that kind of speeds even at the beginning of the month. I would be happy if I get 256 kbps because that will equals to about 32KB/sec but currently only getting like 40 kbps which equals to about 5KB/sec. Same speed as 17 years ago with my US Robotics 56k dial-up modem. SIES MAN MTN!!!

Hope this issue gets resolved soon otherwise I'm gonna have big issues.

Quote Originally Posted by internut View Post
    You're not alone. I also noticed a subtantial drop in "throttled" speed since about 05-10-2017 and this is not acceptable.
    MTN, what are you trying to prove to us by doing this. I am aware of the fair use policy of when you reach 3gb, you will be throttled to 256 kbps. Well I don't even get that kind of speeds even at the beginning of the month. I would be happy if I get 256 kbps because that will equals to about 32KB/sec but currently only getting like 40 kbps which equals to about 5KB/sec. Same speed as 17 years ago with my US Robotics 56k dial-up modem. SIES MAN MTN!!!

Hope this issue gets resolved soon otherwise I'm gonna have big issues.
    I donít think its a problem on their side though, and suspect that they have implemented a new policy instead- meaning we are stuck with the new speed. I called customer care, and they canít help. So really donít know what we can do about this anymore.

MTN need to fix their Allot bandwidth shapers.

After a weekend of no internet I'm still waiting for feedback.
    i7 4790k Noctua NH-D14, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 2x KFA2 HOF 1080, HyperX Fury 4x8Gb 1866Mhz,950 Pro 250Gb, NZXT 410, Seasonic SS1050w. Acer XG270HU.

I submitted a query (support ticket) last night with MTN and when I checked now its gone. Query deleted. I created another query now and took screenshots to use as evidence. Will check again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by internut View Post
    I submitted a query (support ticket) last night with MTN and when I checked now its gone. Query deleted. I created another query now and took screenshots to use as evidence. Will check again tomorrow.
    I logged a support ticket on Friday, no idea how I can check it, but I still have no feedback on email or twitter.
    i7 4790k Noctua NH-D14, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 2x KFA2 HOF 1080, HyperX Fury 4x8Gb 1866Mhz,950 Pro 250Gb, NZXT 410, Seasonic SS1050w. Acer XG270HU.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux_Grey View Post
    I logged a support ticket on Friday, no idea how I can check it, but I still have no feedback on email or twitter.
    Iíve had no luck so far either. Someone just responded to my fb message after 5 days, and said their Ďdata departmentí will be in contact with me. Donít know if theyíll be any more helpful than customer care who is useless. So I guess weíll have to wait and see.

I canít access the LTE band with my modem- has anyone else been able to confirm that the LTE is throttled at a higher speed?

My sim card doesn't register at LTE even though it has "LTE" written on the sim.
    I've spent a couple of thousand rand on data bundles to tether from my phone because I can't use this anymore, it's too slow to even check my mail.
    I very much doubt MTN will reimburse, or even fix this issue.

Since the 5th I also have the poor speed. After numerous phone calls and visiting the MTN shop 3 times there is still no connection. This surely is the worst service ever, nobody at all can tell you whats happening. It looks like the only training the help desk at 808 and 1555 received is to reset your lines to no avail. Is it so impossible just to check on what is the reason the speed was throttled. I don"t even want to mention the shop service. After standing in lines for a long time only to find a question mark expression on the face and a "sorry we don't know, we can't help. What is the use of the stores actually. looks like they can only sell phones and contracts. So it looks like MTN is forcing us into closing this contracts.

The same with me here in centurion. Getting speeds at 60kbps (8kBps download speed).
    This is completely unacceptable for using to do anything other than stare at non loading web pages. I can't even seem to download any PDFs for work or get any mail on outlook.

Any update on this yet? im considering buying a lte sim (simswop for R199) and also a lte dongle and hoping that will sort out my problem. the speed now is just pathetic. and im running through my mobile data now and its costing me a lot. wonder if the lte rout will work?

Quote Originally Posted by bouerdupreez View Post
    Any update on this yet? im considering buying a lte sim (simswop for R199) and also a lte dongle and hoping that will sort out my problem. the speed now is just pathetic. and im running through my mobile data now and its costing me a lot. wonder if the lte rout will work?
    I haven't tried it myself, but some of my friends who are on the same contract did, and apparently it worked. You just have to set your connection to only connect on LTE, and not 3G.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast