Cape Town – Judge Frans Kgomo has been appointed to oversee the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI), also known as the Hawks.

Police Minister Fikile Mbalula made the announcement on Friday and presented Kgomo to the media in Cape Town.

"I have absolutely no doubt that this is a grave responsibility, a great responsibility," said Kgomo.

"I have no trepidation, as long as I know I perform my functions in terms of the law, Constitution and my oath of office."

Kgomo briefly outlined his career, beginning as a court interpreter, then moving on to a prosecutor, magistrate, private practice, and finally a judge.

He said he had some form adjudicative experience, as he had served on the Judicial Complaints Committee, where he had to adjudicate on complaints against his peers.

"That really prepares you for objectivity," he said.

Asked how he would deal with political pressure, Kgomo mentioned that he once prosecuted Lucas Mangope, the president of the former homeland Bophuthatswana.

"I never stood back," he said. "I will stand back for nothing."

Mbalula said the Constitution ensured several checks and balances, and that the DPCI Judge was an expression of this.

"Too much power corrupts, too much power leads to abuse," Mbalula said.

He said the DPCI was an important state organ.

"Somehow, there needs to be checks and balances there."

The DPCI Judge Complaints Unit’s key responsibility is to provide an oversight role on the DPCI. The office is responsible for the investigation of complaints from and against members of the Hawks.

The post became vacant earlier this year after the death of Judge Essa Moosa.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...thing-20171006