Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanral continues to bully e-toll defaulters - Outa

So someone I know just got this (this person pays his bill):

Dear registered e-toll user

SANRAL would like to thank all e-toll users who continue to uphold and pay their e-toll accounts, thus choosing to be law-abiding citizens.

Regarding the reports in the press the past days that SANRAL has written-off R3.6 billion of debt on e-tolls, we would like to set the record straight. Non-payment of e-toll remains a criminal offence, and this does not prescribe. SANRAL has a duty to collect all outstanding toll payments and offenders can be criminally prosecuted or held liable through civil action.

Although SANRAL has currently embarked on a civil process and the issuing of summonses, SANRAL may also engage in a criminal process related to toll payment infringements since the toll commencement date.

There is a difference in debt that is written off and a debt that is impaired. For the latter, SANRAL has made a provision, as required by international accounting standards based on indicators such as significant financial difficulty of a debtor and default in payments. Although we have made a provision as required for accounting purposes to impair the R3.6 billion debt, it should be emphasised that this amount was not written off, as this impaired debt will still be pursued.

Lastly, SANRAL wants to emphasize that the road users that have paid their tolls in the past, and continue to pay, will not be prejudiced as compared to offenders that have chosen not to pay.

Yours Faithfully

e-toll Customer Services
    So they are still threatening criminal prosecution which is laughable. They would make half the population of Gauteng criminals destroying the economy as many of those people work in places that won't accept you with a criminal record.
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Just got an sms from SANRAL 087 240 6796 "You have overdue e-toll fees and you are now in a debt collection process. Call SANRAL on 0800 726 725"

Scare tactics still going on.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Just got an sms from SANRAL 087 240 6796 "You have overdue e-toll fees and you are now in a debt collection process. Call SANRAL on 0800 726 725"

Yep, got that same SMS a couple of weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Aye, but 'tis rare. That's my thing, rare no matter if it's POS

Super Grandmaster

Got the same.
    If they are in debt collection process then they can cancel call me ffs!

I got the same sms today.
    Hosting Web - Helping you pick a South African hosting package.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I got the same sms today.
    Same here, #Phansi Ngovalo!
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

I see they're now spending my tax money on social media campaigns as well. I recommend you report as SPAM if you see this pop up on Facebook or elsewhere.
    "I ran until it felt like my veins pumped battery acid... and then i ran some more" - Fight Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cius View Post
    So someone I know just got this (this person pays his bill):

So they are still threatening criminal prosecution which is laughable. They would make half the population of Gauteng criminals destroying the economy as many of those people work in places that won't accept you with a criminal record.
    Such is life when you disobey the law.

I don't think it will be criminal though.. it will however be credit history & make most countries re-think giving you a work visa or citizenship because you believe you above the law. Definitely not gonna get a immigrant visa to Spain, Portugal and a few other European countries all of which have had open road tolling with civilians who refuse to pay.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

I got this same SMS today, just deleted it, but it raised the question in my mind. Is SANRAL legally required to send invoices/statements etc before starting the "collection process"?

I've never received any invoice or bill saying I owe them money. So now if this is to be believe I'm in debt to them and they have started process to recoup it, but I have no idea how much I owe them or for which of my 2 or 3 trips to JHB this is for.

Ignoring the fact whether this is a legal process that they've started or just scare tactics which is irrelevant to my question. So, I'll just continue to ignore it.

My question is can they start a legal debt collection process without first informing you of the debt?
    Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    Even I with my low IQ understand that its a coup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12