Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CellC Worst broadband service ever (200GB pre-paid rip-off) Fix your crap!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Your 2100MHz and 900MHz signals could be coming from the same physical tower. The network providers in ZA mostly seem to use the right-most digit of the Cell ID to identify the sector on a tower, and the other digits to identify the tower. This only applies when the Cell ID is displayed in decimal.
    Hi there ginggs, thanks for that great tip. I just went over my screenshots and found that the good connection I am currently using with great success shows the tower ID as: AD71 (44413) and the "bad" connection was always to tower ID: AD83 (44419).

So using what you have said above, am I correct when I conclude that the AD part or the 444 part indicates the actual physical tower and attached to this tower are sector antennas one with an ID of 71 (or 13) for the 900MHz signal and the another sector antenna with ID 83 (or 19) which is most likely identifying the 2100MHz antenna.

Thanks once more for the tip which enables me to interpret the results better.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Nomad View Post
    So using what you have said above, am I correct when I conclude that the AD part or the 444 part indicates the actual physical tower and attached to this tower are sector antennas one with an ID of 71 (or 13) for the 900MHz signal and the another sector antenna with ID 83 (or 19) which is most likely identifying the 2100MHz antenna.
    No, forget the hexadecimal. The tower is 4441 and the sectors are 3 and 9.

You'll probably find the following sectors if you go war-driving around that tower:
    4441 1 - North-facing 900MHz
    4441 2 - Southeast-facing 900MHz
    4441 3 - Southwest-facing 900MHz

4441 7 - North-facing 2100MHz
    4441 8 - Southeast-facing 2100MHz
    4441 9 - Southwest-facing 2100MHz

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ahhh, good stuff.

Still have issues with CellC in my area though.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Thanks ginggs for clearing that up, I think I've got it now!

I did manage to pickup another sector for just a short while. It's full tower ID was AD80 (44416) and its singal strength at the time was about 46%.

So from what I've learned from you, that sector's ID is 6 and it is also installed on the same tower 4441!

@ The_Librarian

I have 3 MikroTiks of which the one RB951Ui-2Hnd has a USB port. In the past I did actually use that router for connecting to 3G, but at that stage I was with MTN and was never forced into the direction I'm currently heading with Cell C, so I never tried all these tricks on it.

The thing is, there are no specific settings in RouterOS for this if you have a look at the PPPOE settings tabs. But that's fine, you would not need them anyways

You could attach your 3G dongle temporarily to your pc/laptop and use ginggs' MDMA program to manually set the band which your modem will remember when you unplug it again (mine does at least). When you pop it back into your MikroTik it should connect only to the band you just set it to without fiddling with RouterOS settings.

By simply connecting to the 900MHz band my signal strength is more than double that of connecting to the 2100MHz antennas.

Give it a go and let us know how you did!

Cell c please answer us are we being throttled?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrlepen View Post
    Cell c please answer us are we being throttled?
    I've gotten a few calls this week, but it seems like the different Cell C departments don't talk to each other. I keep having to give them the same details.

Well, at least 4 out of the 7 work days have passed within which period Cell C promised to investigate the issues in Montagu and communicate back to me and I have have not heard one peep out of them so far.

Perhaps they are once more trying to call my modem?

Name:  facepalm.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  29.4 KB

Exclamation Cell C - Commitment not honored

This is the end of the 7th business day. The Cell C rep who contacted me last week assured me that technicians would be investing and reporting back within 7 working days.

I have not heard from them since and in the absence of any communication from them I am left to make only one conclusion. You Cell C people are a bunch of lairs. You only have yourself to blame for what is about to happen next.

For anyone considering joining the dysfunctional Cell C family and subjecting themselves to probably the absolute worst customer service our country has ever spawned, I have the following advice:

Name:  cellcforyourself.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  108.6 KB

You should make a banner!

Default Cell C for yourself how bad it gets!

Yup. I agree. It is now one day short of a *month!* that I was promised feedback on my queries/complaints and have heard absolutely NOTHING from them.

So, on a scale from 1 to 10, how do I rate Cell C's "service"? It has to be ZERO.

Blog Entries

@ The_Librarian

I have 3 MikroTiks of which the one RB951Ui-2Hnd has a USB port. In the past I did actually use that router for connecting to 3G, but at that stage I was with MTN and was never forced into the direction I'm currently heading with Cell C, so I never tried all these tricks on it.

The thing is, there are no specific settings in RouterOS for this if you have a look at the PPPOE settings tabs. But that's fine, you would not need them anyways

You could attach your 3G dongle temporarily to your pc/laptop and use ginggs' MDMA program to manually set the band which your modem will remember when you unplug it again (mine does at least). When you pop it back into your MikroTik it should connect only to the band you just set it to without fiddling with RouterOS settings.

By simply connecting to the 900MHz band my signal strength is more than double that of connecting to the 2100MHz antennas.

Give it a go and let us know how you did!
    We use Telkom Mobile for internet access. It is by far very good, especially the 500Gb nightly bundle deal.

Wife still have issues with CellC. Going to wait and see what happens next.

So what's happened to our lame-duck Cell C "representative"? Gone on holiday? Run off? Ignoring us?

Blog Entries

Ignoring this thread and hoping it goes away?

This is the end of the 7th business day. The Cell C rep who contacted me last week assured me that technicians would be investing and reporting back within 7 working days.

I have not heard from them since and in the absence of any communication from them I am left to make only one conclusion. You Cell C people are a bunch of lairs. You only have yourself to blame for what is about to happen next.

For anyone considering joining the dysfunctional Cell C family and subjecting themselves to probably the absolute worst customer service our country has ever spawned, I have the following advice:

Hi Digital_Nomad

Please change your network settings to roam on Vodacom and let us know if there are any changes.

Cell C has a roaming agreement with Vodacom and allows you to roam for improved network.

^MM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast