Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgruntled mayor barricades Rand Water gates demanding water for residents

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    Sad, you'd think with all that industry the municipality should have been earning good income. I wonder what businesses and industry are doing unless they get their supply direct from Rand Water it makes it hard to operate. The mismanagement will result in businesses leaving the area making things even worse.
    Premier of Gauteng was at Emfuleni council yesterday. He is busy with a deal where Rand Water will take over the water supply as well as maintenance and upgrades from the Emfuleni council.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    Well, water should be free, not a payed service.

The shutting off of water in and of itself is a violation of basic human rights.

http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade...to_water.shtml

http://www.unric.org/en/water/27360-...-a-human-right
    That is what I have been thinking all along. Making water provision a paid service and only expecting certain income groups to pay for it is wrong. If it is a basic human right, it should not be charged for and everyone should get it for free. Government needs to spend trillions more on ensuring new infrastructure that would allow for unlimited taps being installed at every building, house, shack, you name it. According to the constitution, this would be their duty.

The shutting off of water in and of itself is a violation of basic human rights.

Nothing is ever free - someone will be paying for the free water.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Premier of Gauteng was at Emfuleni council yesterday. He is busy with a deal where Rand Water will take over the water supply as well as maintenance and upgrades from the Emfuleni council.
    That is the best solution for all affected municipalities until they get their house in order, we were paying Rand water directly and their service was excellent, they read the meters on time and delivered our bills door to door, until the municipality took over.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Yep the billing is a nightmare in Emfuleni. They reckon we use on average 23Kl to 28Kl per month. No huge pool, just the wife and I in the house. We always shower, and dont water the garden or lawn. I have drums for rain water for that.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Nothing is ever free - someone will be paying for the free water.
    +1

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

The question is what qualifies as access.
    IF you live in a country where water isn't a scares resource I would agree with that. If you have to much of a good thing you might as well give it away for free its not worth much is it? That ruling makes a broad sweeping statement for countries where water isn't available to be dished out for nothing.
    Last edited by Mila; 09-01-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Super Grandmaster

In the ideal world I'd agree. But in a water scarce country like SA with a population that does not believe in conserving water I do not agree.

How many times have you encountered a tap left running? I have to shut off our kitchen tap at work at least once per day because some fool has left it running. How many idiots do you see hosing their driveways? Drive past an office park in the dead of summer and you'll see sprinklers spraying away in the midday heat.
    Ottoman cannons can't destroy Byzantine walls. 1453 was an inside job.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Are we trusting the UN? The guys that made BOB a goodWill ambassador?

Sorry but access I agree, but access doesn't mean we all get taps in our houses for free and an unlimited amount to use. Imagine what the WC would have had to deal with? OR do we then take a stance of when it is finished it is finished?
    Who pays for the workers at the water and sanitation plants.

Water could technical be free but not treated water and sanitation.

Also then we should give all the farmers also unlimited free water.

If it is free and unlimited for one it should be for all.

Barricading the entrance with R1million+ a piece cars due to municipal debt.

Last edited by Solarion; 09-01-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    What is popular may not be truthful and what is not popular may often be the truth.

This is the most ignorant thing I have read today, congrats.

Consider for a moment, all the work that goes into getting water to your taps.
    1) Collection and storage of water in man made damns (this costs money in terms of labour, engineering experts, environmental experts etc)
    2) Drainage of water from human dense area's to river and dams. This also costs a lot of money due to design and labour costs.
    3) Treatment of water so that it is safe for consumption. All those chemicals to make the water safe to drink and the design, building and running of sanitation plants.
    4) Building of plumbing, reservoirs and various utilities to deliver sanitised water to your home with good pressure so that you dont have to spend hours trying to fill a kettle.

Think about just the 4 points above, all the people involved in the processes that deliver water to your taps. They want to live too, they want to eat and have a house and raise children.
    If delivering clean drinking water to your house is supposed to be free, who is going to do all that work?
    Due to not being able to eat, all the professionals required to deliver good clean water to your taps would die in just a few weeks.

Silly people thinking things are supposed to be "free".

The only part of water that is free, is the water you can physically fetch from it's source and sanitize yourself.
    [CHKNHD] Precognition with lag
    "A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man will follow public opinion"

A Djinn

Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    Are we trusting the UN? The guys that made BOB a goodWill ambassador?
    They also claim internet access is a basic human right.
    Happy Rusev Day

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    True that. You will never find me in Vereeniging town.
    I didn't grow up there, but my wife says that Marks Park in town used to be the place to go to in the evenings...

It looks like one giant dustbin now, and the rot is spreading into the Three Rivers areas, the other areas are goners

Quote Originally Posted by The_MAC View Post
    I didn't grow up there, but my wife says that Marks Park in town used to be the place to go to in the evenings...

It looks like one giant dustbin now, and the rot is spreading into the Three Rivers areas, the other areas are goners
    True, when I was a kid in the early 90s Vereeniging was one of the cleanest and wealthiest towns in South Africa. Could go to Mark Park in the evenings and they had decent restaurants and entertainment.

Now it's a ****hole and no one dares go near that area during the day let alone during the evenings.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooC View Post
    True, when I was a kid in the early 90s Vereeniging was one of the cleanest and wealthiest towns in South Africa. Could go to Mark Park in the evenings and they had decent restaurants and entertainment.

Now it's a ****hole and no one dares go near that area during the day let alone during the evenings.
    It was founded by Sammy Marks, to mimic the industrial power of England's Sheffield. So there was no reason for it to be a huge success, until of course it became another trough

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast