Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauteng education department, school in court over additional placements

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBoy View Post
    Mister, the norms and standards document is legally binding and has been in effect since 2013. This is not a wish or an opinion from me but it is what regulates public schools currently. I am done arguing with you on this point. For the last time the school is NOT full as it can accommodate an extra 200+ learners. The department is providing an extra teacher for the additional learners. Now tell me who is being unreasonable here?
    MAXIMUM doesn't mean you need to go right to that point once again, just because you can cram 40 kids into a class doesn't mean you should. Do you not understand what maximum means? Just because something has a max limit doesn't mean you've got to hit it all the time, it's this is something you should stop at and not exceed, it's preferable to be under that.
    They are providing one more teacher, are they building the classroom as well?
    I've been around for a long, long year

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSixFour View Post
    Then either you were a **** teacher that was happy with a class filled with 40 students, or you ended up marking the work to a sub-standard level, and completely content with providing sub-standard education to 40 students.

Or perhaps that's why you left teaching? The unreasonable requests? In which case you are advocating that they do this, and lose teachers? Whose void will then be filled with sub-standard teachers, as that is the only people who will happy with such a situation.

Not a single teacher that I know of will agree with you or pick the side of the Department in this case. EVERYONE is asking for smaller classes and very thankful for any school that fights for this.

Source: Am married to teacher, who has lots of teachers friends.
    I left teaching because it didn't pay enough . I still love it and would go back in a heartbeat if they could pay me a 7 figure salary to teach.

BTW, I taught in a public school in Chatsworths, Durban. This was in the late nineties and the classes were HUGE and definitely more than 40 in a single class. Try teaching the same S&*t over and over again to six or seven different Grade 8 classes in one day! What the norms and standards have done is to limit the size of the classes to a manageable 40 per class. If you are a teacher in the public sector, you already know that it is the norm.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    In a module c school you pay extra so the school body can appoint additional teachers.
    yeah and the dept in Gauteng went around model C schools end last year and actually measured classroom sizes and told schools that they can add x amount of kids to each class and cut back on teaching posts - at my daughters school they cut 3 teaching positions - and the schools option were to either increase classroom sizes to around 45 per class or move the teachers to governing body positions.

They decided to add to the governing body which means school fees will increase to accommodate.
    Quite a few schools have been affected. Bottom line is schools are being ****ed up - dept has no issue with unmanageable classroom sizes.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    MAXIMUM doesn't mean you need to go right to that point once again, just because you can cram 40 kids into a class doesn't mean you should. Do you not understand what maximum means? Just because something has a max limit doesn't mean you've got to hit it all the time, it's this is something you should stop at and not exceed, it's preferable to be under that.
    They are providing one more teacher, are they building the classroom as well?
    But in this case if they take the 55 in 21 classes they'd be about 32 per class, so they'd not be at the max so what is the problem?
    X

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    But in this case if they take the 55 in 21 classes they'd be about 32 per class, so they'd not be at the max so what is the problem?
    They are black!

So how is employing an extra English teacher to teach the English medium classes going to impact their kids education?
    So one teacher is going to teach all subjects?
    If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there

Do yourself a favour and go read the norms and standards for public schools. 40 learners per class is the maximum for primary and secondary schools. Only Grade R classes are limited to 30.
    You either abide by the norms and standards or take your little brats to private school.
    Even if you can fit 25 people in a taxi it's never a good idea.

Those kids are English the classes is Afrikaans the way I understand it.

Hmmm, quite easy to see why SA is at the bottom of all the world education surveys.

And why the matrics coming out of the system are unemployable and untrainable.

One example of many :

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/sa...ies-in-reading

Do yourself a favour and go read the norms and standards for public schools. 40 learners per class is the maximum for primary and secondary schools. Only Grade R classes are limited to 30.
    You either abide by the norms and standards or take your little brats to private school.
    You're nuts.
    Handtekening

They are black!
    How do you manage carrying such a large chip around?

Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post
    How do you manage carrying such a large chip around?
    He's had expert training since 1994.
    Handtekening

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSixFour View Post
    Then either you were a **** teacher that was happy with a class filled with 40 students, or you ended up marking the work to a sub-standard level, and completely content with providing sub-standard education to 40 students.

Or perhaps that's why you left teaching? The unreasonable requests? In which case you are advocating that they do this, and lose teachers? Whose void will then be filled with sub-standard teachers, as that is the only people who will happy with such a situation.

Not a single teacher that I know of will agree with you or pick the side of the Department in this case. EVERYONE is asking for smaller classes and very thankful for any school that fights for this.

Source: Am married to teacher, who has lots of teachers friends.
    Most of my schooling was done in overcrowded classes (in excess of 80 per class). It was a nightmare for the teachers. In some classes, teachers couldn't even reach learners at the back of the class. The woeful mess that was rural schooling. New classes have since been added, but the situation is far from ideal.
    Yeah whatever mate

They take this 55, the DOE is like how about another and another, the issue isn't only class sizes, it's English vs Afrikaans
    I've been around for a long, long year

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    They take this 55, the DOE is like how about another and another, the issue isn't only class sizes, it's English vs Afrikaans
    The school gov board is saying it's a capacity issue. Why not settle that before going in conspiracy circles.
    X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast