Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africa nails United States in mobile speeds

Default South Africa nails United States in mobile speeds

All the better to receive our whatsapp msgs faster since

Drop the price and watch speeds fall like flies
    [You're out there, wearing that goofy thing, lightin' up cars, calling yourself the Shocker! "I'm the Shocker! I shock people! What is this, Pro Wrestling?"]

lol. What a stupid article.
    No mention of devices, the number of tests done, etc.

Clickbait crap as usual.

MyBB Legend

Ypu spent all that money going to America to do a speed test? What a fkn monumental waste of money and time.
    Feeling down? You need a Friday thread.

Super Grandmaster

Not even going to click the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Well I actually think the article is relevant. Mobile speeds in South Africa is not as slow as most think. With a proper LTE or LTE-A smartphone speeds of 100Mbps+ is definitely possible and more often than most think.

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Well I actually think the article is relevant. Mobile speeds in South Africa is not as slow as most think. With a proper LTE or LTE-A smartphone speeds of 100Mbps+ is definitely possible and more often than most think.
    Money money moneeeeeey
    [You're out there, wearing that goofy thing, lightin' up cars, calling yourself the Shocker! "I'm the Shocker! I shock people! What is this, Pro Wrestling?"]

Quote Originally Posted by HashiraMadara View Post
    Money money moneeeeeey
    That is the only obstacle SA faces... Price of data needs to be more affordable. We compare well price wise when you compare to the US but it's not fair to compare like that because Rain is weaker and people earn less.

1GB mobile data should be R50 for 30days simple. Anything higher than that is just too expensive and lower income households will simply not be able to afford it.

Default I dont think So ............! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by HashiraMadara View Post
    Drop the price and watch speeds fall like flies
    I dont think So ............! ! !

Capacity needs to be built for Data to work well.

When MTN - Vodacom - Cell-C built their networks Voice was king and they could afford to put up very few towers covering the main roads with coverage spilling over into residential areas as towers began to congest they put up towers in the residential areas to improve capacity and as people spoke for short periods of time at a cost of R2-85 per Minute this sort of coverage was sufficient.

However Data is a different ball game altogether. More towers are needed to provide an acceptable level of service.

Multi Band Antennae and Radios are now available from Vendors and Operators need to invest in highly populated areas sometimes 3 or maybe 4 towers in a 15km Radius of a populated area.

JIO in India provides a good example of how to roll out a Wireless Broadband Network.
    JIO offers the cheapest Wireless Data in the World and they only getting started.

Data should be around R5 A Gigabyte her in South Africa.
    It is over priced just as Voice as R2-85 a minute and SMS 80c.

Voice on Network calls is almost FREE now and SMS costs 1c to deliver.
    DXL - Team
    "If the ANC does to you what the apartheid govt did to you, then you must do to the ANC what you did to the apartheid govt." Nelson Mandela"

Congratulations Vodacom and MTN
    The speed at which you rip off your customers is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DXL View Post

When MTN - Vodacom - Cell-C built their networks Voice was king and they could afford to put up very few towers covering the main roads with coverage spilling over into residential areas as towers began to congest they put up towers in the residential areas to improve capacity and as people spoke for short periods of time at a cost of R2-85 per Minute this sort of coverage was sufficient.

However Data is a different ball game altogether. More towers are needed to provide an acceptable level of service.

Multi Band Antennae and Radios are now available from Vendors and Operators need to invest in highly populated areas sometimes 3 or maybe 4 towers in a 15km Radius of a populated area.

JIO in India provides a good example of how to roll out a Wireless Broadband Network.
    JIO offers the cheapest Wireless Data in the World and they only getting started.

Any broadband line congested is subjected to slow down unless each line is set for a specific person(which is impossible in wireless network).

If a the tower is given a capacity of 50 000 users and only 600 can afford huge banwidth(streamers) almost the rest are just whatsapping(texts) and not taxing the tower much making the user download speeds remain big.

Drop data price and watch everyone turning into a youtube streamer, after that tell me how speeds would remain constant? I swear R50 per monthly gigabyte would half MTN speeds!

Quote Originally Posted by DXL View Post

The thing that is keeping the speeds good is the spread of 3G and LTE devices and the different frequencies used.

Telkom for example. 1800MHz and 2300MHz with 3G on 2100MHz. I noticed that my S8 likes to connect to band 40 only but my G4 does not support band 40 so it's on band 3 then 3G only devices will use 3G. Nice thing about Telkom is they run 2 block of 20MHz spectrum in 2300MHz so LTE-A users will get both blocks and normal b315 users will probably split between those to blocks so it maxes the towers efficiency and keeps speed good for the most part.

I was going to write something about how the data is inconsistent but did some reading beforehand and actually want to commend vodacom and mtn. Populations and sizes of the compared regions are similar. I don't doubt that we have world class infrastructure most likely due to Telkom refusing to be innovative until recently. Our prices are not affordable and our government stall processes. Instead of trying to do ground breaking things here we try to imitate what others are doing elsewhere and thus will always be behind

The area where you really see SA outshine the US is in coverage. Even in high density areas, coverage in the US can be very patchy.

As kazeus said above, the historic poor fixed line deployment locally led to extensive wireless networks that perform on par or better than fixed.

In the US and ROW you often see the inverse, fixed is widely deployed so mobile is really a supplementary service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast