Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powering Unify UAP-AC-IW

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    At least better than individual POE injectors.
    True and your input is appreciated as others can benefit, but in my case space is limited and I would have to abandon plans for installing patch panel in the cabinet. So no, sorry.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Thanks for reply. Unfortunately a rack mounted 19" do not fit in the wall cabinet. I have to chose something from desktop size offers. It limits my choice dramatically.

I looked at the various versions of the specification of this AP, it looks it is even orphaned from the other Ubiquity offerings. One official source says it is compliant with 802.3af/A, which I read it is limited to the "Alternative A" configuration, while Wikipedia says:

It seems to be a reason for compatibility problem with most of PoE sources. Passive devices typically use Alternative Mode 'B' and active power sources are allowed to support only 'A' or 'B' as they wish. In other words I have to find power source that is using specifically Alternative Mode 'A'.

According to some Internet sources TP-Link TL-PoE150S PoE injector will work with Ubiquity UAP-AC-IW. It is inexpensive, I will probably find it locally below R200, so there is a solution. However I need at least 3 PoE ports, so getting integrated ports in the switch is more convenient option.

Looking for TP-Link products at first place due to the presence of Uniterm Direct reps on this forum, so I can get the best advice. There is a nice 8 port switch model TL108PE or TL-SG1008P with 4 PoE 802.3af compliant ports. Documentation of TL-SG1008P says it is using pins 1,2 for minus and pins 3,6 for plus. Pin layout is the same as an Alternative Mode A, but actually polarity is reversed! Does it matter and safe? When I use cross-over cable, polarity should be reversed anyway.

A similar device is Netgear GS308P, but I couldn't get any details specific to PoE implementation.
    If you want something smaller:

https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products...0_series.shtml
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like Ubiquity access points UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-LR received upgrade last year from the passive 24V: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-...934259#M227992
    R4V3R
    SuperUser
    Re: AP-AC-LR now supporting 802.3af? Pic attached
    Options
    ‎05-17-2017 09:42 PM

Ubiquiti hasn't denied this. It's a small upgrade and was done kinda silently, yes, but that's because it has no downsides. Newer units of UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-LR should all support 802.3af/Mode A as well as the previously supported 24v "passive" PoE while costing the exact same price.
    If the box has that sticker, then the AP inside will support both PoE in methods, and if the sticker isn't there, well, I think you get it.
    Se the highlighted part "802.3af/Mode A". It means they do not compliy with af/at standard. They may work with some 802.3af PoE sources, and will fail with many other which use Mode B wiring. The same incompatiblity as UAP-AP-IW and IW-PRO access points already have. Be warned.
    "We own South Africa but State Capture is a problem as Zuma has friends and no-one belong to our family."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't it come with a PoE power supply?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12