Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple accused of lying about MacBook battery life

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
    With both machines running High Sierra, I can close the lid on my old MB Air (mid 2013) and only lose 1 or 2 percent over 4 or 5 days. Overnight though, it will lose nothing.

But I lose 2 or 3 percent overnight on my new one (2017) or about 5% over 24 hours.

So the new one won't last 30 days but the old one would go much longer. Sure they are different specs, but they are in sleep mode so I'd expect much of a muchness. Maybe different battery manufacturers?
    Is that because the new one has Power Nap and the old one didn't?

I wonder if Apple claim isn't just at the extreme with additional features off and likely listed in their claim.

Turning Power Nap off should give you way more time, should you need it that is.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    That is exactly what Apple is punting as standby time, being in sleep mode (hibernation really).

But the claimed figure would be from a 100% battery.

I wonder if these people run it down to 10 percent and then expect 30 days from it.

I've never actually measured but have left my Macbooks in sleep mode for weeks on end without a problem.
    MacOS distinguishes between sleep, hibernation and safe sleep. Sleep keeps RAM powered, hibernation copies RAM to startup drive and safe sleep does both. I doubt there are material battery life differences between them though unless something isn't working as intended, as any sleep mode keeps the processor in a low power state (among a few other things to enable quick bootup).

Not that any of that matters. Although I'm surprised that Apple is letting Dell run away from them in the battery life department.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    MacOS distinguishes between sleep, hibernation and safe sleep. Sleep keeps RAM powered, hibernation copies RAM to startup drive and safe sleep does both. I doubt there are material battery life differences between them though unless something isn't working as intended, as any sleep mode keeps the processor in a low power state (among a few other things to enable quick bootup).

Not that any of that matters. Although I'm surprised that Apple is letting Dell run away from them in the battery life department.
    It's because Apple keeps trying to make their already thing devices even thinner by lowering battery size to coincide with hardware efficiency. Bollocks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Is that because the new one has Power Nap and the old one didn't?

I wonder if Apple claim isn't just at the extreme with additional features off and likely listed in their claim.

Turning Power Nap off should give you way more time, should you need it that is.
    That's with power nap turned off. And when I'm closing the lid, I've got very little loaded on the new machine compared to the old one (steam and Plex come to mind).

It kinda drove me nuts the first couple of weeks of owning the new one that the old one would not lose charge while sleeping but the new one did. But I sold the old one two days ago so I'm at peace with things now and enjoying the double sized RAM/HD and faster processor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 13.48.20.png
Views: 64
Size:  136.7 KB
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why the laptops are being made thinner and thinner, make it nice and tick then you can put nice big batteries in it.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12