Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Calling all (linux) server guru's

  1. #1

    Default Calling all (linux) server guru's

    Hi guys, we have having a small issue with our dedicated server which we use for test websites so we have a domain acbtest.co.za and all the website has is links to wordpress sites which have their own database.

    Now when a dev is publishing to their site it would sometimes randomly get a Internal server error 500.

    I have:

    Increased the PHP memory limit to -1 (unlimited)

    Rebooted the Apache Web server.

    Anything else i can do?

    Thanks.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Hi guys, we have having a small issue with our dedicated server which we use for test websites so we have a domain acbtest.co.za and all the website has is links to wordpress sites which have their own database.

    Now when a dev is publishing to their site it would sometimes randomly get a Internal server error 500.

    I have:

    Increased the PHP memory limit to -1 (unlimited)

    Rebooted the Apache Web server.

    Anything else i can do?

    Thanks.
    1.) Check Permissions
    2.) Check .htaccess
    3.) Is PHP referencing internal items only or are there any external items referenced?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsheed_sa View Post
    1.) Check Permissions
    2.) Check .htaccess
    3.) Is PHP referencing internal items only or are there any external items referenced?
    1. How?
    2. What am i looking for
    3. Internal as far as i know.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster gregmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,600

    Default

    Anything useful in the Apache logs?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregmcc View Post
    Anything useful in the Apache logs?
    Can i PM you a pastebin link? I know jack about this stuff.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  6. #6

    Default

    Hi Rickster, are you using mysql ?
    The database user has full access to the database tables ?
    Have you considered looking at my.cnf to increase the sql timeout ?
    If the timeout is increased, does the error go away or just take longer to show ?

    Make a backup of my.cnf before making any changes so you can revert back.

    You would look at something like this
    wait_timeout = 32000
    interactive_timeout = 32000

    and remember to recycle mysql after the values are set.

    Also see what you find in the mysql servername.err logs

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoodie View Post
    Hi Rickster, are you using mysql ?
    The database user has full access to the database tables ?
    Have you considered looking at my.cnf to increase the sql timeout ?
    If the timeout is increased, does the error go away or just take longer to show ?

    Make a backup of my.cnf before making any changes so you can revert back.

    You would look at something like this
    wait_timeout = 32000
    interactive_timeout = 32000

    and remember to recycle mysql after the values are set.

    Also see what you find in the mysql servername.err logs
    Yes, mySQL.

    Are you able to help me navigate through the WHM to find out all this stuff, im clueless.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  8. #8

    Default

    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.52.10.png
Views: 86
Size:  174.7 KB
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  9. #9

    Default

    Try adding this:
    wait_timeout=32000
    interactive_timeout=32000

    Then recycle the mysql service, if it doesnt start, remove the new lines and recycle the service again.

    If the service does start however (as I suspect it should) then test if the errors still persists.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoodie View Post
    Try adding this:
    wait_timeout=32000
    interactive_timeout=32000

    Then recycle the mysql service, if it doesnt start, remove the new lines and recycle the service again.

    If the service does start however (as I suspect it should) then test if the errors still persists.
    How do i type in this?

    I cant edit or add anything.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

  11. #11

    Default

    cd /etc
    nano my.cnf
    add these to the bottom:
    wait_timeout=32000
    interactive_timeout=32000

    Press Ctrl + X
    Press Enter
    You will be back in the shell,
    Type service mysql restart
    Or service mysqld restart
    depending on the OS you are running the mysql service will now restart
    If your mysql refuses to start now,
    nano my.cnf
    remove the lines you added
    press CTRL + X
    press Enter
    service mysql restart
    or
    service mysqld restart
    then the change is reverted

  12. #12

    Default

    I presume you are running this as root,
    if not, do you have the root password ? or are you in the wheel group ?
    If you arent root but you have super admin rights, try
    sudo nano /etc/my.cnf

  13. #13

    Default

    did you get this fixed yet..?

    internal 500 errors will have more detailed reasons for the error logged in the apache error log.. start there, checking the log for timestamped entries correlating to the time you got the 500 error and work your way from that logged error to resolve the issue..
    Bleep bab beee boo ba beeebeee boo boda bab..

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Server/Network Guru needed - Server 2012 RDP Over Internet
    By fxit_man in forum Networking and Security
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  2. Calling all BB guru's
    By xiixvi in forum Blackberry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 10:27 AM
  3. calling all hard drive guru's
    By techead in forum PC Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-05-2009, 03:24 PM
  4. Calling overclock GURU's, please help
    By Plasticmonkey in forum PC Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 28-11-2008, 03:12 PM
  5. MTN + Nokia N95 + Data cable + Linux (Calling all Linux gurus)
    By neonpill in forum MTN Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, 3G, EDGE and BIS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •