Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [UK] Critically ill man is former Russian spy

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unhappy438 View Post
    If it was Russia then they have acted like a terrorist state, serious reprisals should be on the cards.
    Like the serious reprisals Israel faced for the exact same thing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God

This type of crap is par for the course, everyone does it, which certainly does not make it "ok", but expecting serious reprisals would be extremely naive.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    Like the serious reprisals Israel faced for the exact same thing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God

This type of crap is par for the course, everyone does it, which certainly does not make it "ok", but expecting serious reprisals would be extremely naive.
    Did Israel let off a WMD in any of those countries? Your fanboying is so boring at this stage.
    "Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so." -Galileo

What all these retards completely fail to appreciate is: if it really was Russia, they wouldn't be caught out ...
    Because they where so efficient at hiding their tracks the last time...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Russia isnt bad but if Russia was bad they would be amazing at it.
    "Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so." -Galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Unhappy438 View Post
    Did Israel let off a WMD in any of those countries? Your fanboying is so boring at this stage.
    Your hyperbole knows no bounds, "WMD" sweet jesus, my sides are aching, that's some mass destruction right there with two people hospitalized and no deaths or destruction whatsoever

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    The nerve agent they used decomposes rapidly and is very rare. It was developed to avoid detection by NATO. Whoever did this was unlucky in that the 2 victims where found so quickly and that Salisbury is very close to the UK facilities which reacted very quickly and where able to identify the nerve agent. This has led to 2 possibility, neither of which are comforting:
    1. The Russian govt is responsible
    2. The Russian govt/military has lost control of one of the most deadly substances ever.

Should also be noted that Russia is a signatory to treaties banning these substances. Either way this is going to be very problematic for Russia.

IF the Russian govt cant prove they lost control of the stuff, then we are back in the cold war. Time to start rebuilding our stocks of nukes and chemical weapons. Dump the treaties. They arent worth the paper they are written on.
    Last edited by zippy; 13-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Ubuntu is an African term for "I can't configure Debian"

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    1. The Russian govt is responsible
    2. The Russian govt/military has lost control of one of the most deadly substances ever.
    You forgot #3:
    3. The CIA (or choose your sinister covert organization) did it specifically to goad the UK into their anti-Russia rhetoric and ensured the victims were discovered

The question to always start with at times like this is: who stands to gain? Russia does not stand to gain by either the death of the victims nor the discovery of the attempt.

So who stands to gain from either of those things?

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    IF the Russian govt cant prove they lost control of the stuff, then we are back in the cold war. Time to start rebuilding our stocks of nukes and chemical weapons. Dump the treaties. They arent worth the paper they are written on.
    Obama on Brazil's Lula: "That's my man right there", "The most popular politician on earth."....

Super Grandmaster

You forgot #3:
    3. The CIA (or choose your sinister covert organization) did it specifically to goad the UK into their anti-Russia rhetoric and ensured the victims were discovered

The question to always start with at times like this is: who stands to gain? Russia does not stand to gain by either the death of the victims nor the discovery of the attempt.

Highly unlikely that the UK would be considering this option.

They would probably rate it equally likely to the Easter Bunny being the perpetrator.

Super Grandmaster The_Assimilator's Avatar

You forgot #3:

Oh good, the bat f**k insane conspiracy theories from /r/t_d are coming out to play.

Russia does not stand to gain by either the death of the victims nor the discovery of the attempt.
    In the same way they had nothing to gain from murdering Litvinenko or invading Ukraine?

Russia does these things to send a message: nobody is safe. They also do it to push the boundaries: if nothing bad comes from their actions, they push harder next time. Another dictator did the same thing once upon a time.
    No gods nor kings. Only Man.

Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    As for facts, well those are technically derived from opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    Oh good, the bat f**k insane conspiracy theories from /r/t_d are coming out to play.
    Don't dodge the question, who stands to gain?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    In the same way they had nothing to gain from murdering Litvinenko or invading Ukraine?
    Litvenko was taken out within a month of "defecting", one could argue he was silenced before he could do any real damage. Whatever damage Skripal was going to do has already been done ages ago, ergo Russia does not stand to gain anything by killing him now.

Ukraine invasion? Oh please, who's indulging in batshyte conspiracy theories now? Russia's presence anywhere other than Crimea remains nothing more than unproven allegations and conjecture even now. When it comes to Crimea, they had established military bases for years and have always been present there with Ukraine's official consent, hardly an "invasion".

Russia did indeed stand to gain from the Crimean annexation, but then again Russia freely admits its role in Crimea, so nobody is left guessing.

You forgot #3:

I am just curious, is your family Russian or do you have some personal connection with a Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by buka001 View Post
    I am just curious, is your family Russian or do you have some personal connection with a Russian?
    Is your family American/British or do you have some personal connection with America/Britain?

Something that might explain the irrational blind trust in anything they do or say? I prefer to question rather than trust, not my fault the parties that generally insist we all just trust them blindly happen to be American.

Super Grandmaster

You forgot #3:

The "ex"spy was known to be meeting with Russian embassy officials in recent months. If the Russians believed he was trying recruit for any western intelligence agency that would be motive enough.

There is no evidence that the CIA has this nerve agent, There is only evidence that the Russian military has it.
    Ubuntu is an African term for "I can't configure Debian"

Is your family American/British or do you have some personal connection with America/Britain?

Something that might explain the irrational blind trust in anything they do or say? I prefer to question rather than trust, not my fault the parties that generally insist we all just trust them blindly happen to be American.
    Yes my family is British.

I am genuinly curious, you just remind me of someone I know personally who's attitude to Russia changed quite remarkeably due to his relationship and eventual marriage to a russian women. We are very good friends

Not implying you are incorrect, I welcome different points all the time. As I said before this was out of simple curiosity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast