Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why hard drives wont be replaced by SSDs any time soon

MyBroadband Newsfeed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why hard drives wont be replaced by SSDs any time soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSDs will not be beating HDDs when it comes to storage size anytime soon, but boy does it give you a decent boost in speed.

Upgraded an old Core 2 Duo laptop this weekend with an SSD, and it now beats the lame brand-new Lenovo Core-i7 laptop I set up recently when it comes to the time it takes to complete tasks.

Just take a look at how much time the CPU spends waiting for the HDD in the task manager when you do a clean install of Windows. It basically sits on idle while the HDD maxes out for a long time.
    Last edited by OneKnight; 12-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    "Dude...we all need to look away from our computer screens and go see what's really going on in the world." - Sl8er

Master
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight View Post
    SSDs will not be beating HDDs when it comes to storage size anytime soon, but boy does it give you a decent boost in speed.

Upgraded an old Core 2 Duo laptop this weekend with an SSD, and it now beats the new lame brand-new Lenovo Core-i7 laptop I set up recently when it comes to general processing tasks.

Just take a look at how much time the CPU spends waiting for the HDD when you do a clean install of Windows. It basically sits on idle while the HDD maxes out for a long time.
    Yeah speed wise SSD's are great! I recently got an M.2 NVME drive and it is amazing, but unfortunately slow storage capacity is what makes regular HDD's awesome

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'COS THEY ARE FLUSHING EXPENSIVE!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD was one of my best purchases ever. So amazing having a decent amount of space on my primary drive.

As for Backblaze, screw them. Their backup upload rates are diabolical and they don't even pretend to offer line speed uploads. If you complain about the upload rates they just refer you to their conventional cloud storage offering.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because they are still paying off their hdd manufacturing plants maybe? lol :P

these 2tb 5400rpm drives in laptops are dumb. get rid of this old crap. mass produce ssd at the scale of hdd and the price will drop.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLion View Post
    +1 and with our exchange rate it goes from bad to worse

Freelance App Developer biometrics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 60 GB Samsung SSD was R10,000 in 2007.

And now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, spoilers...
    A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry SSD's are a demand-based rip off!

You have admit, that HDD's are far more difficult and costly to produce than SSD's. The material types, the quantities and the moving-part elements (which require far larger assembly plants).

The sizes capable are not a factor, Sandisk has a 256GB MicroSD card available to the public...the size of your little finger nail. If you replaced an 1.8" HDD with a flash drive of the same weight, you could have upwards of 10TB in the same device.

You cannot say R&D...a million flash drives and SD cards are produced per day. The R&D was paid from years ago!

So why are they so expensive? Most probably to recover the costs in producing HDD assembly plants! Consider flash memory manufacturers a new form of OPEC!
    I bet my bottom dollar that a these guys would fail an investigation into competition and market manipulation.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joppenheim View Post
    You have admit, that HDD's are far more difficult and costly to produce than SSD's. The material types, the quantities and the moving-part elements (which require far larger assembly plants).

The sizes capable are not a factor, Sandisk has a 256GB MicroSD card available to the public...the size of your little finger nail. If you replaced an 1.8" HDD with a flash drive of the same weight, you could have upwards of 10TB in the same device.

You cannot say R&D...a million flash drives and SD cards are produced per day. The R&D was paid from years ago!

So why are they so expensive? Most probably to recover the costs in producing HDD assembly plants! Consider flash memory manufacturers a new form of OPEC!
    I bet my bottom dollar that a these guys would fail an investigation into competition and market manipulation.
    Just because they're small and have no mechanical parts like an HDD does not make them cheap and easy to produce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joppenheim View Post

So Samsung is charging so much to recover the costs of the HDD assembly plants of Seagate/Western Digital/Toshiba??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read, master Jamie

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syphonx View Post
    So Samsung is charging so much to recover the costs of the HDD assembly plants of Seagate/Western Digital/Toshiba??
    Did you know Samsung used to make hard drives? Some of the most reliable drives around. The SpinPoint series was legendary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Did you know Samsung used to make hard drives? Some of the most reliable drives around. The SpinPoint series was legendary.
    I have an external Sammie, been going for years.
    I never apologise. Im sorry, thats just the way I am.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast