Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice with regards to ISP refusing to allow other ISP's from providing services

Default Need advice with regards to ISP refusing to allow other ISP's from providing services

Hi,

I've recently moved into a new apartment complex and it came with some infrastructure installed. The problem is that the provider that did this refuses to allow any other ISP to provide services to us so now we have to pay R999 ex VAT for a lousy 10Mbps uncapped line (they say its unshaped and not throttled but who says the exchange can handle that type of load from a 100+ apartment complex). The reason we're in this mess is because the developers had an agreement with these guys to install infrastructure and provide services, and they've now handed this over to the body corp. We've basically inherited a monopoly. Is there any way we can combat this? Fibre is coming to my area and I'm eager to see it installed in my complex but with these guys blocking the way, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bairyd View Post
    Hi,

I've recently moved into a new apartment complex and it came with some infrastructure installed. The problem is that the provider that did this refuses to allow any other ISP to provide services to us so now we have to pay R999 ex VAT for a lousy 10Mbps uncapped line (they say its unshaped and not throttled but who says the exchange can handle that type of load from a 100+ apartment complex). The reason we're in this mess is because the developers had an agreement with these guys to install infrastructure and provide services, and they've now handed this over to the body corp. We've basically inherited a monopoly. Is there any way we can combat this? Fibre is coming to my area and I'm eager to see it installed in my complex but with these guys blocking the way, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that.
    Wait Iím confused, do you have ADSL? If you have Telkom ADSL then as far as Iím aware the ISP cannot force you to use them. All you need to do is sign up with any ISP you want and change the username and password in your modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Wait I’m confused, do you have ADSL? If you have Telkom ADSL then as far as I’m aware the ISP cannot force you to use them. All you need to do is sign up with any ISP you want and change the username and password in your modem.
    Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if it is ADSL as they have installed their own infrastructure and they don't specifically say they offer ADSL, only Internet Services. We asked them about other ISP's and they said that they would not allow it. I'm guessing my first thing would be to find out what kind of internet services they are providing.

+ Reply to Thread