Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TCPIP Server

Default TCPIP Server / BSc CS

Hi All

Just wondering does someone doing BSc Computer Science have experience with creating a TCPIP Server?

Ive been playing around with it here and there, doesn't seem too complicated
    but you never don't know what you don't know.

Just wondering what someone with 3rd BSc CS would know.
    I went through syllabus but cant seem to find relevant details.

Thanks
    Last edited by bchip; 23-03-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    ------

I have no idea what a TCP/IP server is, what are you trying to achieve though?

Bind to socket
    Listen for connections
    Spawn server process to handle client.
    Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    It is a Chrismas time, animals speak human language, deamons speak through the humans, it is normal. Honesty is the way we can combat it.

Quote Originally Posted by IOPS View Post
    I have no idea what a TCP/IP server is, what are you trying to achieve though?
    Like this
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...Client-example

Basically the idea is that one desktop application talks to another desktop application.

So one the application (eg on my home computer) I send the command "Todays Weather"
    sends the command to the other application and returns (eg)
    08:00 21C
    09:00 22C
    10:00 24C...

basically 2 way communication between 2 C# desktop applications
    ------

* cant seem to add (myBB blocking it) the 2nd application is on a pc at a friends house.

It would SQL data getting sent to and fro.
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by bchip View Post
    Hi All

Just wondering does someone doing BSc Computer Science have experience with creating a TCPIP Server?

Ive been playing around with it here and there, doesn't seem too complicated
    but you never don't know what you don't know.

Just wondering what someone with 3rd BSc CS would know.
    I went through syllabus but cant seem to find relevant details.

Thanks
    You are creating an IP Service which will be hosted on a server. TCP is just the control protocol that will be used like TCP or UDP over an IP connection. The most common way to do this will be over a web layer called a web service. This allows for encryption. Creating a basic service is pretty simple, making it secure/stable and available on a network/internet is what is more of an effort. You need to assume rubbish data can be handled. The comms need to be encrypted else it is exploitable and can be eaves dropped. I hope there are chapters on this in your books....

MyBB Legend

Read up on SOAP, REST and web services in general...
    Feeling down? You need a Friday thread.

Dickapitation

Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    Read up on SOAP, REST and web services in general...
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkWithMe View Post
    You are creating an IP Service which will be hosted on a server.
    The comms need to be encrypted else it is exploitable and can be eaves dropped. I hope there are chapters on this in your books....
    Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback and learning about how to do it all. I definitely agree with the encryption.
    Howevever I'm not sure which books are being referred to?

I'm looking at working with a 3rd BSc CS student at setting this up for me, hence the question was
    "Is a 3rd BSc CS student capable of writing this up?"
    Ive gone through it myself but I just dont have the time to really get involved and looking for help on this.

The application needs to be able to run code dynamically in Run Time as well, something else I need to consider. I just need to know if this is too advanced for a 3rd year?
    Last edited by bchip; 26-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    ------

Any random developer can do it, as long as they know how to code. Your problem doesn't really have anything to do with a 3rd year CS student specifically.

There are many many examples of connecting/transferring data with TCP, so that's not really a problem.

Issues you might run into is for example knowing the IP of your friend's server. If you're both on default ADSL/whatnot your external IP's will be changing constantly, so for that look into using dynamic DNS so the client will always be able to find the server.

Other random issues with TCP might be that you hit NAT traversal issues depending on your/your friend's home network setup.

After that you need to know what type of application it needs to be, maybe you need to create a Windows service so you both don't have to manually run the app the whole time.

There are other ways than TCP to transfer data around that you can look into...but it sounds like you just want to get something off the ground, so anything will do.

This is pretty apt.

You can find ways to do it in C, D and Java (the last two are ones that I know how to do it in).

But that is pretty much how.

If you want to do TCP then Java is fine but RAW IP sockets (no transport, no UDP or TCP) you will need to probably use D or C as I don't know how to do so in Java as I have never seen such a feature.

Then again, from the looks of it I think you would appreciate TCP.

Forget this modern stuff. Implement your own Internetworking protocol ontop of ethernet.

Just kidding. But TCP will get the job done. Miss me with that webdev-javascript-http-tim-bernes-lee-hippy-****.

+ Reply to Thread