Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: So the Windows 10 disk checking tool there ar no errors.

  1. #1

    Default So the Windows 10 disk checking tool there ar no errors.

    What should I do if I don't believe?
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    6,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    What should I do if I don't believe?
    find another tool to check the disk .....

  3. #3
    Grandmaster Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In my burrow
    Posts
    2,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    What should I do if I don't believe?
    Name:  have-faith.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  40.3 KB

  4. #4

    Default

    Use something like Seagate Seatools or the equivalent for your hardware manufacturer and see what it comes up with.
    "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum" - When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow - TP

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    What should I do if I don't believe?
    Install Smartmontools and the gui Gsmartcontrol.
    It reads the smart data on the hard drive and it can also initiate a disk self check.
    It will sometimes evaluate a disk as OK even if there are erros but you will know what is failing.

    http://www.netpower.fr/smartmontools (Download the binary stable)
    https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io....php/Downloads
    MSI Z97 Gaming 9 - i7-4790 - 16Gig - MSI GTX980 - Gigabyte GTX670 - Kingston SV300 120Gig SSD - Samsung Evo 850 256Gig SSD - 3TB HDD

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    10,728

    Default

    1. Default Windoze disk scan do not check all surface for read errors.

    2. No checking for system errors, it require schedule on reboot. I found cases with Windows 10 that a scheduled scan is not executed. watch messages during reboot.

    Mark these options, let it go.

    3. It says checking a disk, but it is checking only a single partition (i.e. your drive C). You have also other partitions, system partition may be invisible. Corrupt system partition can give lot of problems.
    "We own South Africa but State Capture is a problem as Zuma has friends and no-one belong to our family."

  7. #7

    Default

    Find a tool to check the Windows 10 Disk Checking Tool.


  8. #8
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    6,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    1. Default Windoze disk scan do not check all surface for read errors.

    2. No checking for system errors, it require schedule on reboot. I found cases with Windows 10 that a scheduled scan is not executed. watch messages during reboot.

    Mark these options, let it go.

    3. It says checking a disk, but it is checking only a single partition (i.e. your drive C). You have also other partitions, system partition may be invisible. Corrupt system partition can give lot of problems.
    Because mostly, disks are no longer partitioned. It is only us old timers that still like to partition disks ..... I have given in and no longer partition a disk. Instead I use external drives for data storage and backup.

  9. #9
    Grandmaster Zuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    In a pineapple under the sea..
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    Because mostly, disks are no longer partitioned. It is only us old timers that still like to partition disks ..... I have given in and no longer partition a disk. Instead I use external drives for data storage and backup.
    Wait so i'm an old timer now?
    One does not simply come up with a new signature..

  10. #10
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    6,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuner View Post
    Wait so i'm an old timer now?
    You have obviously been brain washed somewhere along the line by an old timer ....

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    10,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    Because mostly, disks are no longer partitioned. It is only us old timers that still like to partition disks ..... I have given in and no longer partition a disk. Instead I use external drives for data storage and backup.
    Actually they are. Default Windows istallation on empty hard drive creates 3 partitions, each one can get corrupt. Check it out.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ODTech View Post
    Install Smartmontools and the gui Gsmartcontrol.
    It reads the smart data on the hard drive and it can also initiate a disk self check.
    It will sometimes evaluate a disk as OK even if there are erros but you will know what is failing.

    http://www.netpower.fr/smartmontools (Download the binary stable)
    https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io....php/Downloads
    thanks
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

  13. #13

    Default

    This is a good opportunity to create a CD or DVD disk with some troubleshooting tools on it, eg. the tools included in the Hiren's Bootdisk has assisted me a lot over the years but there are other more updated bootdisks out there now.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Checking validity of a Windows License
    By Yuppie in forum Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
  2. Checking Licence disk and Registration papers
    By goswald in forum Motoring and Transportation: Cars, Bikes and Planes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
  3. Push2Check.com - a new FREE tool for checking sites
    By hrd in forum Software and Web Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 12:20 AM
  4. Hard drive checking tool
    By medicnick83 in forum Software
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-01-2010, 01:58 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •