Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian consumers campaign against halaal

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomzoom View Post
    No I'm sorry I also object to being forced to eat Halaal and Kosher - although Kosher is less invasive. My basic objection is animal rights. I don't like how the animals are slaughtered and not subject to the same anti-cruelty laws (such as they are) as other meat.
    You're not wrong in this but you're delusional if you think all animals that aren't for halaal slaughter are treated well.

If you actually want to make a statement, cut out all meat you haven't seen farmed/slaughtered yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    So you only believe things you can prove, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    I should listen more to what an Indian on an internet forum says Christianity is and isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People can believe whatever they want to believe but I object to being forced to support those beliefs and I refuse to buy Halal products.

Animal slaughter is a cruel business at best but there is no need for the added level of cruelty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Randhir View Post
    You're not wrong in this but you're delusional if you think all animals that aren't for halaal slaughter are treated well.

If you actually want to make a statement, cut out all meat you haven't seen farmed/slaughtered yourself.
    I am not deluded about the cruelty that can happen, nor I am unaware of just how much more needs to be done in stopping it, but at very least the process tries (even if it fails sometimes) to avoid cruelty. Animals are stunned before being killed etc. But with both Halaal and Kosher the animals absolutely may NOT be stunned and MUST bleed to death. This is just degrees worse. AND there is no oversight because 'religion'.

Quote Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
    People can believe whatever they want to believe but I object to being forced to support those beliefs and I refuse to buy Halal products.

Animal slaughter is a cruel business at best but there is no need for the added level of cruelty.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomzoom View Post
    I am not deluded about the cruelty that can happen, nor I am unaware of just how much more needs to be done in stopping it, but at very least the process tries (even if it fails sometimes) to avoid cruelty. Animals are stunned before being killed etc. But with both Halaal and Kosher the animals absolutely may NOT be stunned and MUST bleed to death. This is just degrees worse. AND there is no oversight because 'religion'.
    Seems some are ok with some degree of cruelty, but once Islam gets dragged into it, then it's a step too far.

There should be a massive reform on all levels with serious oversight and enormous penalties for those that breach them, but that won't happen because people are happy to buy meat from animals that are mistreated for most of their lives. Until you add in "halaal" of course, then there's an issue.

Not that that shouldn't be banned outright as well.
    Last edited by Randhir; 01-04-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sp
    I should listen more to what an Indian on an internet forum says Christianity is and isn't.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Pick n Pay spokesperson said that halaal “certification costs are negligible and there is no charge passed on to our customers.
    assuming this is true, then it would be easy and simple enough to produce both halal & non halal goods.

assuming a manufacturer produces 1000 bottles of sauce and 3% of the population requires the sauce to be certified, then the certifying authority can go in and certify those 30 boxes, place the require certification sticker on each box, and the associated cost be added to the 30 boxes - after all, these costs are negligible.

or could it be the "costs are negligible" because 97 people are subsidising the costs to satisfy the requirements of 3

or maybe this is why pick 'n pay say halal costs are negligible :
    Name:  chops.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  68.7 KB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nightjar View Post

You can't avoid buying halaal and that is my objection. Look at the lists.

http://www.halaal.org.za/node/4

http://www.sanha.co.za/a/index.php?o...675&Itemid=137

And you will see that every major manufacturer is on there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Randhir View Post
    Seems some are ok with some degree of cruelty, but once Islam gets dragged into it, then it's a step too far.

There should be a massive reform on all levels with serious oversight and enormous penalties for those that breach them, but that won't happen because people are happy to buy meat from animals that are mistreated for most of their lives. Until you add in "halaal" of course, then there's an issue.

Not that that shouldn't be banned outright as well.
    No I'm saying that with other meat there is still oversight. You can complain if there is a problem you become aware of. I can call the SPCA if I see a truck load of animals on the road that are not being transported properly - but call someone because a Kosher / Halaal animal is not being slaughtered properly? Forget it!!!! No-one wants to touch that. Same as animals being slaughtered in backyards for other cultural purposes. Can't touch it. The fact that it is unhygenic, that people have no idea what they are doing and hack away at the poor animal with a blunt knife, or any of the other things that go on - you can't. It's their culture and their religion and blah blah blah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christian consumers complain they are forced to buy halaal goods and are “manipulated” into funding Islam.

Some complainants charged that buying halaal-certified foods indirectly forces Christians to adhere to sharia law, pay for the persecution of other Christians in Muslim countries, fund the building of mosques and even contribute financially to terrorist groups, such as the Islamic State and Hamas.
    Are all small butcher shops also halaal-certifying the meat they sell and funding humus (sic), or are some consumers too lazy to exercise their consumers rights by buying from small businesses like butcher shops?

Besides, packaging with a halaal / kosher logo means nothing without a logo indicating that the meat has been tested negative for all manner of diseases (like Listeria).
    Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    I separate myself from idiots.
    ^Photos or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SA-UK View Post
    I'm at home d*ldo.
    Attachment 516535

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been told before that since our market is so small (compared to europe/americas) the products we get settle for the lowest common denominator. So if importers or manufacturers would choose between a product certified vs non certified they will go for the certified one so they could sell to more people.
    Last edited by Nefertiti; 01-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a storm in a teacup. I have yet to walk into a supermarket and not be able to find bacon. So either bacon is kosher/halaal, or this thread is a rant about nothing.

Pork chops too

And gammon

And wine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Name:  chops.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  68.7 KB
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    assuming a manufacturer produces 1000 bottles of sauce and 3% of the population requires the sauce to be certified, then the certifying authority can go in and certify those 30 boxes, place the require certification sticker on each box, and the associated cost be added to the 30 boxes - after all, these costs are negligible.
    I suppose it becomes a logistics nightmare, to get the right products to the right people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I read correctly? Halaal certified Kellogg's corn flakes? I don't eat cereals but I would imagine there would be no need for such a product to receive certification.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vigras rojara View Post
    What a storm in a teacup. I have yet to walk into a supermarket and not be able to find bacon. So either bacon is kosher/halaal, or this thread is a rant about nothing.

Pork chops too

And gammon

And wine
    Same here, but have you checked any of your other products and see how they are labeled? And with that product can you buy an alternative? I think that is what people are complaining about.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Same here, but have you checked any of your other products and see how they are labeled? And with that product can you buy an alternative? I think that is what people are complaining about.
    People need to start supporting smaller, local butchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are complaining about the fact that the proceeds from certification goes into funding the building of mosques, Muslims schools etc. I am atheist so why should my money fund religious practices

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast