Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canceling MTN Contract

Default Canceling MTN Contract

Why is it so painful to cancel an MTN contract?

Phoned 135, they put me thru the retention department and have been on hold for an hour listening to there crap music.

Any easier way to cancel your contract?

Yeah dude, same experience as I had a couple of years back. Make sure you ask for a cancellation conformation letter and then a letter stating that the contact was cancelled and balance owed is R0. This took me 3 years to get. If I remember correctly, MTN still does cancellations with a letter that has to be faxed/emailed to them.

On a side note, I cancelled my one Vodacom contract this morning. Spent maybe 5mins on the phone with them and 2 mins later, I received my letter. What a pleasure, thus far.

There should be a law that cancelling anything must be easier than taking it out.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Quote Originally Posted by marhsava View Post
    Why is it so painful to cancel an MTN contract?

Phoned 135, they put me thru the retention department and have been on hold for an hour listening to there crap music.

Any easier way to cancel your contract?
    One does not cancel a MTN account. They refused to cancel mine and eventually the sent in the debt collectors. Then for every threatening SMS they sent they recieved 10 000 emails telling them to stop harassing me. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    One does not cancel a MTN account. They refused to cancel mine and eventually the sent in the debt collectors. Then for every threatening SMS they sent they recieved 10 000 emails telling them to stop harassing me. Works like a charm.
    This was my experience as well. I got it solved by spending one day (yes, a complete working day) on the phone with MTN, talking to everyone they said I must talk too, just to get a letter stating that I owe R0 and that the account has been closed.

It was quite easy on my side. I called them a month and a half before the termination date and they said I should call back the day the contract expires. I think it was 173 or 808 that I had to call. Actually did it the day before. Spoke to someone, they put the cancellation through then got a call from Retentions a few hours later trying to sell me another contract. I flat out refused any other contract and cancellation was done a few mins after that. Got the SMS and contract was cancelled. Never had any debit order go off after that.

+ Reply to Thread