Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MTN handed me over to debt collectors over a contract that expired 3 years ago

Default MTN handed me over to debt collectors over a contract that expired 3 years ago

I took out a cheap data contract 5 years ago. It was something stupid like a 2 gig a month data bundle over 2 years and included a router with a sim card. It expired after two years, the company stopped debiting me and that was that.

3 years later I find the old router and I throw it out. The very next month I'm billed an exorbitant amount. I call them and they said they would sort it out. The next month I'm billed again, even more. I call again and they say they will sort it out...But now I'm being handed over to debt collectors and I'm probably already black listed.

My guess is the sim was still inside and somehow someone activated the account again. I didn't think twice about throwing it out, and I get that that was a mistake. But I can't afford to pay the amounts they claim I owe, let alone for something I didn't use. How am I supposed to fight this?

MTN should open a case with their Fraud Department, they must then do an internal investigation to find out how the simcard was activated again, they'll have to proof first that you yourself applied to have it activated again and then only they can hold you liable for the costs. Without proper proof they'll probably just write off the costs, this is 100% fraudulent activity so don't pay them a cent even if they hand you over to debt collectors.

Call them and make sure there is a fraud case opened up internally, get a reference number and then keep bugging them until resolved.

This unfortunately was the only way I got our Corporate account sorted out, massive fraud and Invoices reaching R3 Million each month... We didn't pay them until resolved and blocked all debit orders from MTN.

Why throw out a working router and not sell it?
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A SIM that is still active after not being used for 3 years?

First time I've heard of that sort of thing.
    500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why throw out a working router and not sell it?
    It's probably those cheap @ss Huawei USB dongles worth nothing, they barely function after two years, no point in selling.

It sounds like a nice BS story, OP finds an old router plugs it in to find out it still works and low and behold it still works.

Time to download the internet then claim you threw it out.

MTN can check which cell tower it connected to, if its in your area you are screwed.

But yea, just a theory.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    It sounds like a nice BS story, OP finds an old router plugs it in to find out it still works and low and behold it still works.

Time to download the internet then claim you threw it out.

MTN can check which cell tower it connected to, if its in your area you are screwed.

But yea, just a theory.

I guess for the sceptic it does sounds like BS, but since I have a good uncapped line already, I really had no reason to even test if it was working.

Sim card won't work after 3 years.
    "Man-made device, you’ve haunted me, cold and disfigured, corrupted, diseased, mechanical cradle, synthetic embrace, you’re a dying machine"

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerlessliz View Post
    I took out a cheap data contract 5 years ago. It was something stupid like a 2 gig a month data bundle over 2 years and included a router with a sim card. It expired after two years, the company stopped debiting me and that was that.

3 years later I find the old router and I throw it out. The very next month I'm billed an exorbitant amount. I call them and they said they would sort it out. The next month I'm billed again, even more. I call again and they say they will sort it out...But now I'm being handed over to debt collectors and I'm probably already black listed.

My guess is the sim was still inside and somehow someone activated the account again. I didn't think twice about throwing it out, and I get that that was a mistake. But I can't afford to pay the amounts they claim I owe, let alone for something I didn't use. How am I supposed to fight this?
    Its probably a co-incidence that the billing happened the same month you chucked out the router. I have had sim cards not in use for 3 months that have been cancelled, its useless then.
    So I'm sure you must have proof that the contract was cancelled ? or did you make it prepaid ?
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by RedViking View Post
    Sim card won't work after 3 years.
    Probably won't work if it's suspended but certainly can still be active.

They could have run the account up for 3 years while the simcard is suspended due to non payment and handed the account over for debt collection.

Happened to me with Vox Telecom. I cancelled but did not go through and only noticed when debt collectors came knocking. Account was never used for 7 months but account ran up a bill that I finally had to settle or be listed on ITC.

It's dirty move that companies pull and they get away with it.

You account is suspended so you can't use it if you wanted too but is liable for large sums of money but you can't use the data even if you settle the outstanding amounts because it expired...

+ Reply to Thread