Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: breede.co.za

Default breede.co.za

I have been shopping around to find out what other internet services is available in my area, as there is no ADSL or fiber or any other providers.Some one in my community referred me to this website.While I was away in JHB my neighbor installed their service.Not sure on what connection he got, it sounded to good to be true so I needed to investigate, while he gets the service that was advertised on closer inspection, a few things got me banging my head against the wall.

What the current fastest speed is in South Africa @4mbps, it's like 2003 called and wanted it's technology back, nor is their prices any good, all of it is apparently uncapped, cheapest package is for 384kbits connection with a 20gig fair usage attached for R200 bucks, uncapped my ass.(They have since removed that package the cheapest you can now get is 1mbps for R350.00 with a 100gig fair use.) Which isn't too bad I guess.

There is no mention of setup costs, but what I can gather from the neighbor, who is Taiwanese is some thing like 2.5k.

What do you guys think, just stick with afrihost, or give them a shot, it's not too bad a deal for R350 for a 100gig.

But this blog entry from 2016, just annoys and want to give them a pass.

https://www.breede.co.za/choosing-right-type-broadband/

2. Speed

Speed is a crucial element to consider when comparing broadband services. The speed, simply put, is the time it takes for a website to load or to download files. Broadband speed ranges from 128Kbps (kilobits per second) to 4096Kbps (4Mbps). The traditional dial-up speed with a modem is 56Kbps.

Important facts regarding internet speed:

Currently, the highest speed available to the public in South Africa is 4Mbps.
    3G runs only up to 384Kbps and HSDPA runs either at 1.8Mbps or 3.6Mbps
    Speeds are measured in kilobits per second
    1Mbps = 1024Kbps
    Speeds are indicated for downloading only. Uploading speeds are slower.
    Not all websites load at the same speed. Many factors influence this, not only the speed of the connection.

Time is an expensive commodity. One therefore always has to weigh up the price you pay for slow Internet versus the time you have to wait for Internet to load. The faster the Internet, the less time it takes to surf the Internet. Usually broadband packages that are cheaper tend to be slower, and vice versa.
    Just fell over holding my guitar, and accidentally played every song One Direction have ever written

Is that not false advertising or something lol. (Did not click on the link so not sure if that is a advertisement)

But yeah, they still stuck in 2003 or something

Quote Originally Posted by irBosOtter View Post
    Is that not false advertising or something lol. (Did not click on the link so not sure if that is a advertisement)

But yeah, they still stuck in 2003 or something
    Well I sent them an email to find out what the setup costs are, I am quite happy to part with R399 for the 2mbps 200gig "uncapped" service.
    Just fell over holding my guitar, and accidentally played every song One Direction have ever written

Already don't like their tactics, could likely require some cabling and such, which is fine, but wanted to find out what they are charging for the receiving equipment and what their equipments entails, antenna, router, modem, ect.

All new applications are done online at
    > www.breede.co.za<http://www.breede.co.za>
    >
    >
    > Once the applications is complete and submitted it will be processed.
    >
    >
    > A technician will be assigned to do a site servey free of charge.
    >
    >
    > The tecnician will give a quote after he as done the site servey.
    >
    >
    > I hope you find this information helpfull.

I've been with them for a few years now. They used to have a rep on here, don't know what happened to him/her.
    I saved on the installation, by buying the router and antenna myself. Installed it myself, just had to pay them R300 to align and connect.
    Regarding your question, they only work with Mikrotik routers, nothing else is allowed. Think it's to do with stability.

I had to go with wifi ISP, because I'm apparently to far away from the exchange. Breedenet was the 3rd one I tried, I stick to them, because they are the most stable.

Internet : 56k dial-up
    Mobile: Nokia 3310
    Laptop: Toshiba T1100

Quote Originally Posted by beans100 View Post
    I've been with them for a few years now. They used to have a rep on here, don't know what happened to him/her.
    I saved on the installation, by buying the router and antenna myself. Installed it myself, just had to pay them R300 to align and connect.
    Regarding your question, they only work with Mikrotik routers, nothing else is allowed. Think it's to do with stability.

I had to go with wifi ISP, because I'm apparently to far away from the exchange. Breedenet was the 3rd one I tried, I stick to them, because they are the most stable.
    I don't mind paying just tell me more or less don't come with quotation nonsense, I don't waste my time and you don't waste your time.

*edit
    Replied with R2800 to R3400.
    Last edited by wizardofid; 11-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.

2. Speed

Speed is a crucial element to consider when comparing broadband services. The speed, simply put, is the time it takes for a website to load or to download files. Broadband speed ranges from 128Kbps (kilobits per second) to 4096Kbps (4Mbps). The traditional dial-up speed with a modem is 56Kbps.

Important facts regarding internet speed:

Currently, the highest speed available to the public in South Africa is 4Mbps.
    3G runs only up to 384Kbps and HSDPA runs either at 1.8Mbps or 3.6Mbps
    Speeds are measured in kilobits per second
    1Mbps = 1024Kbps
    Speeds are indicated for downloading only. Uploading speeds are slower.
    Not all websites load at the same speed. Many factors influence this, not only the speed of the connection.

Time is an expensive commodity. One therefore always has to weigh up the price you pay for slow Internet versus the time you have to wait for Internet to load. The faster the Internet, the less time it takes to surf the Internet. Usually broadband packages that are cheaper tend to be slower, and vice versa.
    Maybe they haven't updated this page for a few years
    This is not a signature

I think I am going with the 2mbps connection next month, just have to check what equipment the neighbor has and see if I can't get it any cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
    I think I am going with the 2mbps connection next month, just have to check what equipment the neighbor has and see if I can't get it any cheaper.
    For R46 more, you can get 150GB a month more and a higher upload speed. That said 2mbps in 2018 is very slow, but it sounds like your options sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    For R46 more, you can get 150GB a month more and a higher upload speed. That said 2mbps in 2018 is very slow, but it sounds like your options sucks.
    Yes it is or afrihost/MTN, Vodascum does have LTE here, but not worth it price wise unless you take out a contract.I am actually happy with 2mbps, would make a world of difference of having always on internet, but I would still use MTN for uploading data, as I currently get 4mbps up, and my work entails a fair bit of uploading 80mb or so files at a time 200 - 300mb in a batch every few weeks.

So 2mbps is more then enough for now, so I don't have to look at my cap every 5 minutes, from the current 5 gig to 200gig I would have a tough time using 200gig.

If you consider Afrihost on MTN please look at Axxess with their 3 month roll-over.

Quote Originally Posted by lord-of-war View Post
    If you consider Afrihost on MTN please look at Axxess with their 3 month roll-over.
    Their data costs more at the end of the day and with a small cap like 5 gig, it's not worth the effort and with afrihost having double data when signing up with afrihost+ on both the monthly cap and any topups 3 month data roll over pretty pointless if its the primary means of access, saving 250mb at the end of the month hardly makes up for it when you pay considerably more.

Currently get 5 gig for R218.00....

+ Reply to Thread