Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Disgraceful!' Twitter lashes out as marathon collapse sours Games' final day

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'Disgraceful!' Twitter lashes out as marathon collapse sours Games' final day

A marathon runner's dramatic collapse struck a sour note on the last day of the Commonwealth Games on Sunday as hosts Australia finished runaway winners on the medals table with 80 golds.

Organisers defended the medical response but criticised bystanders for snapping pictures of a stricken Callum Hawkins, who keeled over two kilometres from victory.

In temperatures nudging 30 degrees Celsius in Gold Coast, Scotland's Hawkins wobbled and went down twice, lying prone for some time before help arrived

"I like many others was distressed to see a wonderful athlete like Callum collapse during the closing stages of today's marathon," said chief organiser Mark Peters.

"I was also concerned about the behaviour of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images. This is not in keeping with the spirit of GC2018."

TV commentators and viewers blasted Hawkins' wait for medical assistance, while many also criticised the bystanders who took pictures.
    https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/20...mes-final-day/
    Yeah whatever mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing wrong with taking a picture of something out of the ordinary.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crying about nothing. That guy had a choice to plonk his ass down or to continue. Do you expect medical staff every 100m along a marathon course? People collapse at most marathons.

World has gone mad.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is what the world has come too....no one tries to offer aid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crackersa View Post
    Why didn't you help? Bad person.

Why didn't you wait for trained professionals? Bad person.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought his acting was over the top. Every ****ing marathon has one of these plonkers acting out the scenes of a Hollywood B movie. I thought the same of this guy. I see nothing wrong with what the people next to the track did. Those pics would make awesome memes.

Like said here before, if he was in real distress, then plonk your ****ing ass down and call for medical assistance.
    Last edited by Lord Farquart; 16-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One guy? You should have seen the number of athletes that needed medical assistance during/after yesterday's Ironman here in PE.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why should people and how legal would that even be?
    The most some bystander can do is offer the guy some water if he crawls off to the side and ask for it.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice. Yes, it's sad, I agree, but lambasting someone for snapping pics? Really? When someone takes pictures or videos of accidents at the F1 their videos are sold for quite some money - why is this any different?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Crying about nothing. That guy had a choice to plonk his ass down or to continue. Do you expect medical staff every 100m along a marathon course? People collapse at most marathons
    This. If he was in really serious trouble he wouldn't have been getting up. It looks pretty routine. If he had started coughing up blood or something along those lines you would have bet the crowd would have helped.

The Games have been painted by organisers as Australia's chance to burnish its image for sportsmanship after a Test cricket cheating scandal which shocked the nation.
    What would you expect from a land of criminals...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rietrot View Post
    But why should people and how legal would that even be?
    The most some bystander can do is offer the guy some water if he crawls off to the side and ask for it.
    And shade if possible.
    Yeah whatever mate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice. Yes, it's sad, I agree, but lambasting someone for snapping pics? Really? When someone takes pictures or videos of accidents at the F1 their videos are sold for quite some money - why is this any different?
    Curious about whether you play(ed)/watch sport. I'm not going to judge you on one stupid comment.
    Yeah whatever mate

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of this criticism is pretty silly, expecting spectators to help even more so. I know in the Comrades you are allowed to be helped across the line by a fellow competitor but not by a Marshall or member of the public. If i was a spectator, I for one, would be loathe to assist someone and possibly risk them being disqualified (unless they specifically asked for it).

As for medics not being immediately on hand, unless you are going to have a medic shadow everyone of the 26 runners over 42km that's also pretty silly.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFate View Post
    Curious about whether you play(ed)/watch sport. I'm not going to judge you on one stupid comment.
    Played some, not really watching much these days. The ****ty attitudes of everyone doesn't suit me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice.
    How much long distance running have you actually watched...? Any athlete, elite or not can be pushed beyond their limits. There is a famous clip of the Comrades of the then leader being beaten across the line in the final meters after collapsing twice.... Sometime athletes push themselves to far in the pursuit of a goal, it happens to the best athletes too..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast