Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Full Metal Jacket' actor R. Lee Ermey dies at age 74

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    I saw the man in action for the very first time in that long forgotten awesome sci-fi series, only saw FMJ later in life and realized he was type-cast into the role he was born to play in every movie
    Yup, must be hard to have that iconic performance as his first major role, and in a Kubrick film too. Everything else he has done just doesn't have the same energy...

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP.

My favourite piece of trivia for this legend -

According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance (1972) that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buka001 View Post
    RIP.

My favourite piece of trivia for this legend -

According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance (1972) that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman.
    Adding to that, Tim Colceri had a pretty memorable scene as the helicopter door gunner....

Door Gunner: Git some! Git some! Git some, yeah, yeah, yeah! Anyone who runs, is a VC. Anyone who stands still, is a well-disciplined VC! You guys oughta do a story about me sometime!

Private Joker: Why should we do a story about you?

Door Gunner: 'Cuz I'm so ****in' good! I done got me 157 dead gooks killed. Plus 50 water buffalo, too! Them's all confirmed!

Private Joker: Any women or children?

Door Gunner: Sometimes!

Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?

Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Gunny

"Here you are all equally worthless," Ermey/Hartman says by way of introduction. "And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?"
    Could you imagine trying that line in SA ..... the ous would go on strike, play the victim card, race card, clock card, graphics card and any other card .... and the whole economy would grind to a halt.
    If you dont like my comment .... dont read it. Thank you for your understanding, Rgds - Textile Guy.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May the Lord have mercy on his soul.
    There is no reason for any government anywhere in the world to suspect that any South African is in danger from their own democratically-elected government.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved his hard assed performance in that movie. RIP.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP

Never really been a fan, find that army bs screaming hilarious. Even at cadets we had the natal command rsm come out every second week and we pissed ourselfs laughing at him as he was no different to Ermey. Being in school they could not fsck us up beyond going for lashes in the principals office all the time which was routine and wrong but nobody gave a fsck.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP some great scenes will always be remand quoted.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12