Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on vehicle headlight bulbs

Took the vehicle to ford in fourways, they said I should pay R950 for a check up so I drove around looking for other places. Found an auto electrician in rivonia, they adjusted the headlight aim and beam pattern with an allen key.

They also did a manual test on the battery then hooked up their multimeter got a reading of around 13 volts with the engine on.

They suggested I get brighter bulbs, something brighter than 55watts apparently - how true is that?
    I'm leaning a lot on converting to HIDs.
    Soooo, where do you see yourself in five years?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by namzsteve View Post
    Took the vehicle to ford in fourways, they said I should pay R950 for a check up so I drove around looking for other places. Found an auto electrician in rivonia, they adjusted the headlight aim and beam pattern with an allen key.

They also did a manual test on the battery then hooked up their multimeter got a reading of around 13 volts with the engine on.

They suggested I get brighter bulbs, something brighter than 55watts apparently - how true is that?
    I think the regulations state that the maximum legal wattage for headlights is 55 Watts. Hopefully someone who knows can confirm please.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    I think the regulations state that the maximum legal wattage for headlights is 55 Watts. Hopefully someone who knows can confirm please.
    You are correct.

Maybe the OPs nightsight has deteriorated, I can't say, the OP pictures doesn't mean much.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Are they LED. Apparently led's don't work properly in a projector housing

The projector housing needs 360 degrees of light to work properly. The led on gives 180 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by namzsteve View Post

Cheaper to test your eyes.
    saor is a dumbass

Or how about this, get a friend with a similar height car, park your cars facing a fall and both put your headlights on and take a pic for us.
    Last edited by supersunbird; 17-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    saor is a dumbass

Is your car lenses still clear.

I have the first generation 2009 model fiesta, it uses h7 and h1 for dipped and high beam respectively.

Not sure if the facelift model also uses same bulbs, seeing that you got h11.

Anyways, unless you somehow moved something, which you shouldn't have been able to, the adjustment shouldn't have changed.
    One does not simply come up with a new signature..

Quote Originally Posted by catman37 View Post
    Are they LED. Apparently led's don't work properly in a projector housing

The projector housing needs 360 degrees of light to work properly. The led on gives 180 degrees
    No they're halogens bulbs, not LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Cheaper to test your eyes.
    Could just end up doing that hey

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Or how about this, get a friend with a similar height car, park your cars facing a fall and both put your headlights on and take a pic for us.
    I have already done that with my friends car, but he has reflector headlights, doesn't help me much. He also said my headlights look faded. Didn't think of taking images though.

Quote Originally Posted by upup View Post
    Is your car lenses still clear.
    I have thought of this too, I wonder how would dirt get into there, there is water tight rubber cover covering up the area where the bulb fits.

Super Grandmaster

The battery voltage is okay. How about checking the actual voltage across the bulbs themselves?

I don't know the specifics about the vehicle. Are there any relays involved in switching the lights? Dirty/worn contacts = increased resistance equals lower voltage across the bulb = less light output.
    Last edited by Geoff.D; 17-04-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff.D View Post
    The battery voltage is okay. How about checking the actual voltage across the bulbs themselves?

I don't know the specifics about the vehicle. Are there any relays involved in switching the lights? Dirty/worn contacts = increased resistance equals lower voltage across the bulb = less light output.
    Checked out the fuses and relays, guy said everything is fine. I got someone to help me convert to HID, he aligned and aimed the headlights etc, they're much brighter. Drove out early this morning to see if the lights are causing any glare for oncoming drivers, nobody flashed me so I think I'm good. Thanks for the help guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12