Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vodacom and MTN dispute report they donít use their spectrum

Default Vodacom and MTN dispute report they donít use their spectrum

Vodacon & Emptyn are lying and are being quite dishonest about spectrum use.

They have over the years throttled the spectrum to themselves in South Africa,

Personally for someone who has not studied Radio Frequency Planning I always wondered what Vodacon & Emptyn do with so much spectrum they have as towers are rolled out they rarely re-use spectrum within a 10km radius.

If a proper test was done then it complements my though process they are not utilizing the 900mhz to the maximum if the coverage is spotty or no coverage exists.

One of the Benefits of having illeterate people in the regulatory authority they believe anything Vodacom & MTN tell them.

If I were ICASA i would visit the area along with people from MTN & Vodacom and do the physical tests and take action.
    DXL - Team
    "If the ANC does to you what the apartheid govt did to you, then you must do to the ANC what you did to the apartheid govt." Nelson Mandela"

Quote Originally Posted by DXL View Post
    One of the Benefits of having illeterate people in the regulatory authority they believe anything Vodacom & MTN tell them.

Vodacon & Emptyn are lying and are being quite dishonest about spectrum use.

They have over the years throttled the spectrum to themselves in South Africa,
    You do know (actually, you obviously don't) that spectrum trading is illegal in SA?

Secondly, where exactly are the MNOs not using the (very limited) spectrum they've got?

Personally for someone who has not studied Radio Frequency Planning I always wondered what Vodacon & Emptyn do with so much spectrum they have as towers are rolled out they rarely re-use spectrum within a 10km radius.

If a proper test was done then it complements my though process they are not utilizing the 900mhz to the maximum if the coverage is spotty or no coverage exists.
    Vodacom (and MTN) covers >99% of population with 2G and 3G. It might be spotty. But it's mostly spotty where there are no people. Or geography gets in the way. Like the few spots on this road.

If I were ICASA i would visit the area along with people from MTN & Vodacom and do the physical tests and take action.
    You really should do it. Would love to see your results. Also your action plan. The MNOs are always keen to give better coverage (coverage = revenue, right?). You valuable input will be appreciated.

For the record, I checked up on this stretch myself. There are spots where signal drops out when the geography gets in the way. This is a road at the bottom of a valley, so many twists and turns. But you can see from the coverage maps that it's in very small spots.

Grandmaster

It is amazing how these "experts" appear from nowhere! Please leave it for the people that know!

+ Reply to Thread