Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russia blocks millions of Google and Amazon IPs to ban Telegram

Default Russia blocks millions of Google and Amazon IPs to ban Telegram

Russia blocks millions of Google and Amazon IPs to ban Telegram

The country's telecommunications regulator has blocked several ranges of Internet Protocol addresses.

Super Grandmaster

Users in Russia reported that Telegram still remains online.
    How?
    "We own South Africa but State Capture is a problem as Zuma has friends and no-one belong to our family."

A little taste of what is in store for governments who wants to take it a step further and block cryptocurrencies.

So they have blocked all IP's for AWS which will block access to a shed load of other sights. Might as well block every IP.
    Braindead move
    Last edited by gregmcc; 17-04-2018 at 09:38 PM.

So cut off your nose to spite your face

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    How?
    If you've built a distributed app then they can run from any datacentre in the world just need to update DNS records.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    If you've built a distributed app then they can run from any datacentre in the world just need to update DNS records.
    They block by IP address, not DNS. They already blocked 17 millions in total, There is a limited number of Telegram servers, it maybe a thousand only, so my question.

They block by IP address, not DNS. They already blocked 17 millions in total, There is a limited number of Telegram servers, it maybe a thousand only, so my question.
    This does not make sense. What are you trying to say?
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

What stops me from spinning up another Telegram server in John's Datacentre. I'm sure the Telegram Servers where built for scaling with containers most likely. So you can have new servers up and running within in hours if not minutes.

You can even keep your Database servers still running at Google and AWS you just need to create new front end instances.

Then use DNS to direct them to the new servers.

If you really want to block Telegram see what DNS names the app use and block those on your network. No need to block millions of IP addresses that's just dumb.

What stops me from spinning up another Telegram server in John's Datacentre. I'm sure the Telegram Servers where built for scaling with containers most likely. So you can have new servers up and running within in hours if not minutes.

You can even keep your Database servers still running at Google and AWS you just need to create new front end instances.

Then use DNS to direct them to the new servers.

If you really want to block Telegram see what DNS names the app use and block those on your network. No need to block millions of IP addresses that's just dumb.
    There are too many ways to get around DNS blocking.. if I knew the IPs that would come up if I resolve DNS records, I just add that into my computer's hosts file and there I have negated your DNS block.. blocking the IP addresses is the better way when you compare the two..

Don't forget that connections and data transfer etc are made on IP addresses and that DNS was simply made to make it easier to remember what service is at what IP address..
    Bleep bab beee boo ba beeebeee boo boda bab..

The whole TG network is down currently.

Quote Originally Posted by WAslayer View Post
    There are too many ways to get around DNS blocking.. if I knew the IPs that would come up if I resolve DNS records, I just add that into my computer's hosts file and there I have negated your DNS block.. blocking the IP addresses is the better way when you compare the two..

Don't forget that connections and data transfer etc are made on IP addresses and that DNS was simply made to make it easier to remember what service is at what IP address..
    Not if I block any requests that's destination URL contains the telegram domain. No way to get around that DNS blocking unless you re-deploy the app with new URLs.

TG back

So cut off your nose to spite your face
    affecting the country’s banking and retail sectors that rely on Amazon and Google’s cloud services.
    Exactly what I was thinking reading that line...

Not if I block any requests that's destination URL contains the telegram domain. No way to get around that DNS blocking unless you re-deploy the app with new URLs.
    I can connect directly to Telegram servers using IP addresses as long as I know what their IP addresses are..

No form of DNS blocking is going to stop me from using their IP addresses directly and that is why they are blocking IP addresses.. Blocking IP addresses is cutting them off at the source..

Telegram can change IP addresses but, at some point, I believe AWS and Google and other providers they may use, may say "sorry we can no longer afford for you to affect our ip addresses and our other customers like this, we have to let you go"..
    Bleep bab beee boo ba beeebeee boo boda bab..

+ Reply to Thread