Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lamola obtains 2nd master's degree

Super Grandmaster

Default Lamola obtains 2nd master's degree

JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress (ANC) says young people should take advantage of educational opportunities given to them in order to improve their lives. This comes after the political party congratulated member of the national executive and working committee Ronald Lamola for obtaining his second masterís degree.

The ANC says Lamola is a living example of what president Nelson Mandela uttered about education being a great engine for social development.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/04/17/lamola-o...aster-s-degree
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Both degrees in law? Is there anyone in law here who can explain the motivation? I appreciate that it is somewhat different material, but after the first masters degree one is usually capable of reading up other material at the same level (e.g., I've never heard of someone with two masters degrees in say CS or in Maths, etc.). Is there perhaps some requirement for specific degree topics to practice in certain capacities?

Quote Originally Posted by cguy View Post
    Both degrees in law? Is there anyone in law here who can explain the motivation? I appreciate that it is somewhat different material, but after the first masters degree one is usually capable of reading up other material at the same level (e.g., I've never heard of someone with two masters degrees in say CS or in Maths, etc.). Is there perhaps some requirement for specific degree topics to practice in certain capacities?
    I know a couple who did a Masters in Maths and then did another in CS? I don't see the point when it's in the same field either, unless it were to help with your Ph.D., e.g. a CS one dealing that's structured, then maybe another dealing in AI if the doctorate work will be in AI?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/6964814583

http://www.up.ac.za/en/centre-of-exc...-law-in-africa
    Yeah whatever mate

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    I know a couple who did a Masters in Maths and then did another in CS?
    That makes perfect sense - I don't know anyone who has 2 CS masters or 2 Maths masters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    I don't see the point when it's in the same field either, unless it were to help with your Ph.D., e.g. a CS one dealing that's structured, then maybe another dealing in AI if the doctorate work will be in AI?
    Even that's probably overkill unless the first masters degree was really sub-par. I currently work extensively in ML/AI, but never studied anything to do with it directly. The basic tools from my CS degrees (on completely different topics) were still sufficiently overlapped that it wasn't too hard to pickup though (it's still all algorithms, maths, stats, programming, etc.). This is why I am wondering why do a 2nd LLM degree?

Looks like an interesting course, but seems likely easily readable material for someone who is already an LLM graduate.

Grandmaster

Looks like an interesting course, but seems likely easily readable material for someone who is already an LLM graduate.
    Agreed. Don't see the need to do this. Could have skipped this course and just written a PhD thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Eti1 View Post
    Agreed. Don't see the need to do this. Could have skipped this course and just written a PhD thesis.
    Maybe he just wanted a foothold in this sector before pursuing a PhD. Just speculating... I have no idea

Congratulations to him.
    Yeah whatever mate

+ Reply to Thread