Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard a big mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
    I guess it doesn't "just work" my 2010 Dell Latitude has no such issues.
    Woohoo. We found a neckbeard stuck in 2006, when that was a slogan (that was wildly criticised in Apple circles).
    Maybe get your creaky-ass 2010 4-Kilo low-res Dell to come up with actual current put-downs. That slogan was dropped long before Steve Jobs died.

Apple users would be the first to say things don't "just work" all the time. It's BSD + Pretty UI. So if you know your way around bash, it's is really powerful, and if you get used to the UI, it really does work.

But the benefits are alien to someone without an open mind to what you can actually achieve, so insert shrug here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I agree with this, if these new keys didn't get stuck/die every month I would be 100% fine with the direction Apple is going in...

but they do and it's tragic.
    According to some informal research, problems with the butterfly-keyboards account only for about 12-20% of issues reported. But they are an issue, and there's a small class-action suit being launched currently. Apple has been infuriatingly quiet about the problems, especially since a repair is essentially a full replacement of the top part of the Macbook, so if you don't have extended warranty, it's crazy expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snorbaard View Post
    Woohoo. We found a neckbeard stuck in 2006, when that was a slogan (that was wildly criticised in Apple circles).
    Maybe get your creaky-ass 2010 4-Kilo low-res Dell to come up with actual current put-downs. That slogan was dropped long before Steve Jobs died.

Apple users would be the first to say things don't "just work" all the time. It's BSD + Pretty UI. So if you know your way around bash, it's is really powerful, and if you get used to the UI, it really does work.

But the benefits are alien to someone without an open mind to what you can actually achieve, so insert shrug here.
    LOL.

Firstly I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me personally, attack my viewpoint by all means but to call me a neckbeard is unnecessary and ironic given your own username.

Secondly perhaps I should have used an emoji such as to convey my true meaning with my post. I am well aware that nothing "just works" or in this case the opposite, see my reply to Bwana two posts down where I said I was teasing OP.

Also, I don't see why I need to spend money on a laptop when my dell suits me fine for its purpose, even if it is a
    2010 4-Kilo low-res Dell

That being said, I will crawl back into my mom's basement like the neckbeard I apparently am and I will bow down the Chad who put me in place.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
    LOL.

Firstly I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me personally, attack my viewpoint by all means but to call me a neckbeard is unnecessary and ironic given your own username.

Secondly perhaps I should have used an emoji such as to convey my true meaning with my post. I am well aware that nothing "just works" or in this case the opposite, see my reply to Bwana two posts down where I said I was teasing OP.

Also, I don't see why I need to spend money on a laptop when my dell suits me fine for its purpose, even if it is a .

That being said, I will crawl back into my mom's basement like the neckbeard I apparently am and I will bow down the Chad who put me in place.
    My attack on you was personal and reflects more on my own personal frustration with general "Device Y" haters and repeated snipes from the hur-dur-our-product-is-better-than-your-product crowd than yourself.
    I apologise and retract my misplaced sarcasm without reservation, and leave my original post untouched so my idiocy stays on the record.

May your neckbeard stay glorious, unlike mine, which will forever be patchy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My attack on you was personal and reflects more on my own personal frustration with general "Device Y" haters and repeated snipes from the hur-dur-our-product-is-better-than-your-product crowd than yourself.
    I apologise and retract my misplaced sarcasm without reservation, and leave my original post untouched so my idiocy stays on the record.

May your neckbeard stay glorious, unlike mine, which will forever be patchy.
    No stress, I actually agree with you re: the device Y haters. I am of the opinion that software has become more and more device agnostic, so why bother with just one platform.

As for the neckbeard, my wife prefers me clean shaven
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the topic on hand this is a serious and widespread issue. I had the shift key jam and luckily iStore honoured the guarantee where they needed to replace the entire lower assembly. Could I ask you to all sign the petition to pressure Apple to give extended support for this defective design issue

https://www.change.org/p/apple-apple...rking-keyboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll sign it, because it's a REAL problem, and unacceptable for such an expensive product. There are a handful of Class Action suits in the US already, and informal reports say that the problem only affects 15-20% of people. Still, it's unacceptable.
    My hope is that Apple does some type of recall (but this one's going to be way more expensive than just lowering the battery price or giving out free bumpers).
    I don't have one of these laptops, but I don't wish this on anyone.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just sent mine in for repairs, one Key has fallen off completely, the entire Butterfly mechanism, and a few others are sticking.

It's under Warranty, but iStore say they may quote me if there is any damage, like spilt liquid etc.
    IT's in perfect shape, just shipped with a kuk keyboard. But I'm damn sure they will try find a reason to charge me, lets see

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    I've just sent mine in for repairs, one Key has fallen off completely, the entire Butterfly mechanism, and a few others are sticking.

It's under Warranty, but iStore say they may quote me if there is any damage, like spilt liquid etc.
    IT's in perfect shape, just shipped with a kuk keyboard. But I'm damn sure they will try find a reason to charge me, lets see
    had a similar problem they then come with liquid damage but couldnt provide me evidence of it.. Core in SA are a bunch of Tools

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by under_sky View Post
    had a similar problem they then come with liquid damage but couldnt provide me evidence of it.. Core in SA are a bunch of Tools
    Nope, really smart. They don't have to fix anything but they can still bill a warranty investigation to Apple. Money for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes me so mad. At least Apple freed them of that kind of money when they made the phones and watches semi-waterproof.

If you need a reference to a Mom & Pop place that fixes macs and MacBooks from a home business (and you're in the JHB area) let me know. These guys fixed my MacBook that drowned in Sprite Zero and charged me R1600 for it. Same guys also fixed a Mac Mini gratis that was rejected by Core as "Unfixable - Need new motherboard" when *nothing* was wrong with it.

I'm going to be facing the Core monster later this month when I take my MacBook in to have the screen replaced due to the known but not official issue where the anti-glare coating comes off, making my screen look like it has a permanent case of psoriasis

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you need a reference to a Mom & Pop place that fixes macs and MacBooks from a home business (and you're in the JHB area) let me know.
    PM me please :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiii <tap tap TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <TAP> <TAP> <TAP> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    <PSSSSSST>

<tappity tap tap tappity> iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ^%(@$!*@#
    This was really funny !!!!
    ----------
    I'm raising a child with Autism..... What's your Super Power ???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, you cant really replace the keyboard on these models as they are riveted to the top case.

So the only way to fix it is to take the whole logic board out and swap it into a new case.

This means that its going to cost core/apple a ton to fix one machine.
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    The thing is, you cant really replace the keyboard on these models as they are riveted to the top case.

So the only way to fix it is to take the whole logic board out and swap it into a new case.

This means that its going to cost core/apple a ton to fix one machine.
    The new iMacs and MBP's are virtually irreparable. Apple's own fault if it costs them more to repair/replace.
    I believe posters are recognised by their sig... so I made one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast