Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Beware of RAIN's lack of support

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bloemfontein. South Africa
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Angry Beware of RAIN's lack of support

    From the outset, I had connectivity issues when I received my RAIN modem. We got it going after 3 days of troubleshooting (basic stuff like resetting the modem to factory default, moving the modem around etc.).
    After that, my RAIN modem was fairly reliable, although I had at least 1 to 2 disconnects per day. Until about a month ago, when things became really bad. All of a sudden, the modem was losing connection up to 25 times a day, often struggling to re-establish a connection for an hour or more. (I have a script running on a Mikrotik router which sends me an email every time the RAIN modem/service has gone down.)
    I got my RAIN connection via MWeb so I contacted their support. Again I had to do basic stuff like resetting the modem, moving it around etc. before they starting taking my problem seriously. After a week of not making any progress with MWeb's support, I decided to buy a new modem (B315) to see if the modem was not the issue.
    Unfortunately, it made no difference. Resetting the modem; moving the modem around in my house and replacing the modem made no difference - the signal drops off continuously. I moved the modem to my office an the problem disappeared. Moved it back to my house (where I have full signal), the problem is back.
    I reported my findings to M-Web. It is now five weeks since I reported the problem for the first time and I have still not received any feedback. I call support on a regular basis, and every time the response is the same: "We have sent an email to RAIN, but they have not responded yet" or "We have escalated the problem with RAIN but so far, no feedback". This week alone, I had this response three times in a row.
    So this morning I insisted on speaking to a manager at M-Web. I was told that it is a third party service and they are dependant on RAIN getting back to them. It was then when the manager probably told me something she should not have: She indicated that they are not getting any feedback from RAIN in respect of any customer complaints and they have a serious problem with RAIN's lack of support.
    It has been five weeks since I have been able to use the RAIN connection. So to those thinking of signing up for the RAIN service - be aware. When working, all is fine, but if you have an issue, don't expect help from RAIN.
    I would have cancelled the service were it not that I signed up during the double data promotion and would hate to lose that.

  2. #2
    MWEB Representative MWEBHelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10,654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 949BFN View Post
    From the outset, I had connectivity issues when I received my RAIN modem. We got it going after 3 days of troubleshooting (basic stuff like resetting the modem to factory default, moving the modem around etc.).
    After that, my RAIN modem was fairly reliable, although I had at least 1 to 2 disconnects per day. Until about a month ago, when things became really bad. All of a sudden, the modem was losing connection up to 25 times a day, often struggling to re-establish a connection for an hour or more. (I have a script running on a Mikrotik router which sends me an email every time the RAIN modem/service has gone down.)
    I got my RAIN connection via MWeb so I contacted their support. Again I had to do basic stuff like resetting the modem, moving it around etc. before they starting taking my problem seriously. After a week of not making any progress with MWeb's support, I decided to buy a new modem (B315) to see if the modem was not the issue.
    Unfortunately, it made no difference. Resetting the modem; moving the modem around in my house and replacing the modem made no difference - the signal drops off continuously. I moved the modem to my office an the problem disappeared. Moved it back to my house (where I have full signal), the problem is back.
    I reported my findings to M-Web. It is now five weeks since I reported the problem for the first time and I have still not received any feedback. I call support on a regular basis, and every time the response is the same: "We have sent an email to RAIN, but they have not responded yet" or "We have escalated the problem with RAIN but so far, no feedback". This week alone, I had this response three times in a row.
    So this morning I insisted on speaking to a manager at M-Web. I was told that it is a third party service and they are dependant on RAIN getting back to them. It was then when the manager probably told me something she should not have: She indicated that they are not getting any feedback from RAIN in respect of any customer complaints and they have a serious problem with RAIN's lack of support.
    It has been five weeks since I have been able to use the RAIN connection. So to those thinking of signing up for the RAIN service - be aware. When working, all is fine, but if you have an issue, don't expect help from RAIN.
    I would have cancelled the service were it not that I signed up during the double data promotion and would hate to lose that.
    Good afternoon 949BFN.

    I am sorry to read of your experience.
    Send me your MWEB details via PM so that I can have a look into this for you.

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster supersunbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Garsfontein, Pretoria
    Posts
    41,097
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWEBHelp View Post
    Good afternoon 949BFN.

    I am sorry to read of your experience.
    Send me your MWEB details via PM so that I can have a look into this for you.
    So you think you will get a reply from RAIN?
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bloemfontein. South Africa
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWEBHelp View Post
    Good afternoon 949BFN.

    I am sorry to read of your experience.
    Send me your MWEB details via PM so that I can have a look into this for you.
    PM sent, tx.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also think Rain has the ISP's and customers at there mercy.

  6. #6
    Grandmaster Syphonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup, RAIN support (or maybe its IS support, not sure how the two companies interact) never respond. Even calling them doesn't help.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bloemfontein. South Africa
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another week has gone by without any improvement in the service. And nothing from MWeb either.

    It is almost as if they want me to cancel the service.

  8. #8
    James Bond Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    007 world
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^ then cancel?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bloemfontein. South Africa
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some feedback: RAIN contacted me and indicated that they found a problem with the equipment of my closest tower. It has now been a week and my modem het only lost connection twice for short periods of time. Although ping times and upload speeds are not what one would expect, downloads are fantastic. Speedtest often reports download speeds of 70Mbps, sometimes even a bit faster.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ekkekan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In one way it is shocking to hear but it just shows you how bad service has become. Glad you shared your experience with us all.

    I just wonder if your name and contact details via PM would have caused Rain to respond to MWEB?

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ♫SyNoNyM♫
    Posts
    45,144
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphonx View Post
    Yup, RAIN support (or maybe its IS support, not sure how the two companies interact) never respond. Even calling them doesn't help.
    Rain is iburst's new venture.
    The_Librarian:V have a sexy voice
    Ockie:She does actually........................for a woman.

  12. #12
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yip.. don't hold ur breath.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes we also provide the Rain LTE-A and have issues getting support form them - we have logged loads of tickets with IS and there is never any resolution... we have opted to change clients with Rain SIM's that have issues over to Cell C's network.

  14. #14
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think the major issue us the interlink barrier...

    If you have one isp selling stuff to customers but that isp has another isp.... (finger pointing.... starts and the waiting game)

    It's just too easy saying... I'm waiting for feedback or things like... we don't have an eta yet (cause they might not have one or no rush... inane it sorts itself out)

    Easier to wait and do nothing.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Crystal Web's lack of customer support
    By Nalith in forum ADSL and VDSL ISP Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-06-2015, 08:43 PM
  2. Lack of support
    By Defib in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-09-2013, 04:56 PM
  3. Afrihost Support or lack there of
    By roughiain in forum ADSL and VDSL ISP Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
  4. Openweb lack of support
    By ForSure in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-01-2007, 09:02 PM
  5. The lack of support from SA Media!
    By Venus04 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 20-12-2006, 04:20 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •