Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LTE-A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LTE-A

Hi everyone,

I hope you can assist me.

My younger sister is currently based in Newtown (JHB) and I'd like to sign up for a month-to-month LTE-A contract that she can take wherever she decides to move to next year and the year after than until she graduates. There is no fibre in Newtown and the trustees of the body corporate in her building are dragging their feet with installing telephone lines.

Since she's still a student I want to start her off with 55 or 85 Gigs with the B618 router where possible should she wish to upgrade, but after reading the mixed reviews on the forum I can no idea which service provider to choose.

1. Telkom - basically showed me the door because they wanted to lock me into a 24 month contract;

2. WebAfrica - I am currently using their uncapped fibre at my place and have had no issues so far, but I'm not sure how their LTE-A is;

3. Mweb - I don't see much posted about them except their recent advertising blunder;

4. MTN, Vodacom and Cell C - Do they have a month to month option?

From what I can gather, people seem to be going with the Cell C LTE option at 100GB per month. I don't know much about LTE either, but I assume that they will give me a B3 router, which I am not a fan of.

I also saw reference to roaming on some threads - can anyone please shed more light on this?

Are there any other options?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Satyr; 30-04-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Hi everyone,

I hope you can assist me.

My younger sister is currently based in Newtown (JHB) and I'd like to sign up for a month-to-month LTE-A contract that she can take wherever she decides to move to next year and the year after than until she graduates. There is no fibre in Newtown and the trustees of the body corporate in her building are dragging their feet with installing telephone lines.

Since she's still a student I want to start her off with 55 or 85 Gigs with the B618 router where possible should she wish to upgrade, but after reading the mixed reviews on the forum I can no idea which service provider to choose.

1. Telkom - basically showed me the door because they wanted to lock me into a 24 month contract;

2. WebAfrica - I am currently using their uncapped fibre at my place and have had no issues so far, but I'm not sure how their LTE-A is;

3. Mweb - I don't see much posted about them except their recent advertising blunder;

4. MTN, Vodacom and Cell C - Do they have a month to month option?

From what I can gather, people seem to be going with the Cell C LTE option at 100GB per month. I don't know much about LTE either, but I assume that they will give me a B3 router, which I am not a fan of.

I also saw reference to roaming on some threads - can anyone please shed more light on this?

Are there any other options?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    The Cell C one is good, you will either get LTE or LTE-A depending on the router you get.

If you want LTE-A then don't get the deal from MWEB as they will give you an LTE router(B315).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I would stay away from rain for now because there are a lot of frustration for some, that being said frustration can be experienced all over. Just know that cell c and rain is the best value for money lte-a products,and in that order.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want month to month I will go with Afrihost on the Rain network, on most other providers it will be a contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cellc Lte/Lte-a or Rain Lte/Lte-s, those are your choices, as mentioned above they are the cheapest in that order, i have not seen either one of them sold as anything other than month to month regardless of who the provider is. For Cellc i have so far seen Ignite and Mweb are the best choice and they still offer the router free that you get to keep after 6 and 12 months respectively. Though note that both have fees due for the router should you cancel before those times.

Edit: For the average user i wouldn't bother paying the extra to get the B618 router for LTE-a since you'll still get decent speeds on the b315 for average use.
    One does not simply come up with a new signature..

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B618 is the better modem. Super fast and signal is solid..

Rain Speeds seems good... just wish their prices would go down some more (as isp's like Cell-C and Telkom offer night data also. for the heavier users) - And with speeds like those it burns through data quick..specially on youtube , Netflix, showmax and twitch for the gamers.. If you like high quality and stream 1080p or 4K often.. 55gigs or 100gb will last about a week.

I often watch gaming tourneys and product reviews and research before buying any item (even online items). Sometimes you have to watch 2 or 3 reviews of the same product to make sure one person is not only giving the Pro's and less of the cons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I don't like about the B618 is the longish startup - around 2 minutes to connect.
    Hibiscus Coast Photographic Society
    (previously known as: Hibiscus Coast Camera Club)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    B618 is the better modem. Super fast and signal is solid..

Rain Speeds seems good... just wish their prices would go down some more (as isp's like Cell-C and Telkom offer night data also. for the heavier users) - And with speeds like those it burns through data quick..specially on youtube , Netflix, showmax and twitch for the gamers.. If you like high quality and stream 1080p or 4K often.. 55gigs or 100gb will last about a week.

I often watch gaming tourneys and product reviews and research before buying any item (even online items). Sometimes you have to watch 2 or 3 reviews of the same product to make sure one person is not only giving the Pro's and less of the cons.

Trust me, I’m averaging 250-300 gigs each month, and I’m probably going to clock more since I’ll be indoors more in the next few months. The LTE-A is for my youngest sister, I don’t want her to get carried away with usage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread