Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copper degradation - we can't help you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Copper degradation - we can't help you

I've been having a hell of a lot of noise on my ADSL line. Had OpenServe technicians in and out with no measurable improvement. You can't make out what people say on the phone very well because of all the noise, I cant play games online and my internet experience is overall ****.

The last OpenServe technician that came over this morning said that he now believes that the cause of the problem is copper degradation between the box on the pole I'm connected to and the exchange. He said that's not going to get fixed, because of of time/funding and all I can do to improve my experience is to downgrade to 4Mbps even though I'm about 1.5km from the exchange.

Am I being unreasonable to think that this is unacceptable? Surely they have to fix their network if something broke down?
    https://www.trueachievements.com/gam...SnowHonkey.png
    You spend your whole life working to pay for the suit they bury you in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copper. 4Mbps is lucky in many places. At work, years back telkom told us the same and said we should downgrade to 2.
    We got fibre instead.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their entire copper network is falling apart... and they are not bothering to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    Copper. 4Mbps is lucky in many places. At work, years back telkom told us the same and said we should downgrade to 2.
    We got fibre instead.
    Problem is I live in Pietermaritzburg. Only 5% of town has fibre and according to multiple OpenServe technicians, my area is years away from getting fibre. I'm basically up ****-creek without a paddle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
    Problem is I live in Pietermaritzburg. Only 5% of town has fibre and according to multiple OpenServe technicians, my area is years away from getting fibre. I'm basically up ****-creek without a paddle.
    Yea we were as well. Luckily Mybroadband and Crystalweb. It was not cheap but at the same time was essential.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reported a dead line on 5/4/2018 in Garsfontein. It is still not fixed and the excuse is that the problem lies in a dangerous area in Lynnwood. One techie can't go there alone and they must wait until more problems get reported so that a few techies can go together for safety in numbers.
    What a useless bunch.
    If the oncoming lights are blinding you, you are in the wrong lane. Turn around immediately for your own well being and safety.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stokstert View Post
    I reported a dead line on 5/4/2018 in Garsfontein. It is still not fixed and the excuse is that the problem lies in a dangerous area in Lynnwood. One techie can't go there alone and they must wait until more problems get reported so that a few techies can go together for safety in numbers.
    What a useless bunch.
    Frogfoot has fibre in Lynnwood?

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabee! View Post
    Frogfoot has fibre in Lynnwood?
    Thanks for the information.
    I am not looking for fibre, I am just looking for a working phone/ADSL line.
    If the oncoming lights are blinding you, you are in the wrong lane. Turn around immediately for your own well being and safety.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stokstert View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    I am not looking for fibre, I am just looking for a working phone/ADSL line.
    However if you have fibre coverage, it will fix your problems and save you money. Why do you think the demand for fibre is so high, because of the need for it from people like you that have issues with their current connectivity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, to give an update, I'm not taking this lying down. I've logged fault after fault and I will continue doing so until my line is fixed. It's been the same routine. Technician "fixes" the line, less than 24 hours later the noise comes back and line stats plummet, I relog the fault, technician comes again, fix lasts less than 24 hours, rinse, repeat. As it stands right now, my 10Mbps DSL line can't even maintain a stable sync at 2Mbps.

Although, just the other day I came home to my line syncing at the speed it was supposed to, zero CRC errors and on fastpath. It stayed like that. Then I got a call from a technician saying he was fiddling with my line doing tests. Five minutes after that call, my line went to **** again. I think someone may have properly fixed my line and this guy went and broke it again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
    Well, to give an update, I'm not taking this lying down. I've logged fault after fault and I will continue doing so until my line is fixed. It's been the same routine. Technician "fixes" the line, less than 24 hours later the noise comes back and line stats plummet, I relog the fault, technician comes again, fix lasts less than 24 hours, rinse, repeat. As it stands right now, my 10Mbps DSL line can't even maintain a stable sync at 2Mbps.

Although, just the other day I came home to my line syncing at the speed it was supposed to, zero CRC errors and on fastpath. It stayed like that. Then I got a call from a technician saying he was fiddling with my line doing tests. Five minutes after that call, my line went to **** again. I think someone may have properly fixed my line and this guy went and broke it again.
    What type of fault are you logging?

Log a voiceline fault for noise, nothing else. Do NOT mention adsl/internet at all. Ask the call centre to run a full line test for you as well.

Next time a guy comes out ask him if he could move you onto a different pair but he will have to determine in which cable section the noise originates from and that is a biatch of a job many guys simply don't wanna do as it requires them to carry a ladder around and get up poles to isolate the source of noise. Took a guy half a day to locate the source of the noise and then he moved the line over to a spare pair in the affected cable section.

Keep all your refs and pm me if the next visit is not helping.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More technicians have been in and out and my problem is still not fixed, but I have been given a straight answer at least. So here's the deal:

It's an underground cable problem and it's gotten worse. A stable sync can only be maintained at 2Mbps. It's going to be a royal pain in the arse to fix it, because it's an underground cable problem. Because of what a pain in the arse it will be to fix it, nobody wants to do it. I literally only have two options - downgrade my 10Mbps service to 2Mbps or move.

So I found a new place and I'm moving at the end of June and downgraded my service to 2Mbps until then.

Thank you, Telkom.

+ Reply to Thread