Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Telkom: has anyone had any positive experiences?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Telkom: has anyone had any positive experiences?

Positive experiences? I remember none. I am going through a bad patch with them after several uneventful years. These years were due to cutting them out of my internet life, so little hassle was experienced. I got rid of them after some spectacular difficulties back in 2011, when I moved house.

In my area we had fibre installed last year up to the junction box. I noted that with interest, and went off to my UK house for three months. While I was away Openreach installed fibre into each house on our complex. I knew nothing of this until one of the Trustees told us that our newish louvre deck had been damaged by the installers in the process, despite being warned off by the Trustee. The wire was left dangling on the wall.

We got a quote and told Telkom on our return. Apart from queuing for around half an hour at the Menlyn branch, it took a further half hour to give me a contact at Openreach, due to the bad internet connection there! We had four visits from them subsequently. Two of these were to our old address. One was from Openreach who had come to finish the installation, but wanted paying first. I had been given the impression that no charge was to be made, so said no. It may have been a corrupt request for all I know. Another visit was from the installer who had done the damage, and wanted to fix it himself. No way! I then went off to the UK, and chased it up from there. I paid out to have the louvre deck fixed due to the rain. My contact there had been quite responsive, but disappeared over Christmas, asking me to ring one of his subordinates, but without giving me the contact number. By now 6 months had gone by since the damage was done. I returned from the UK and started chasing up at the end of March.

Many emails later little is resolved. I email docs, but the guy's inbox is often full. He called round and took photocopies of the docs, but lost them. Then he decided he needed an invoice instead of the quotation and receipt provided. And so it went on and on. Then I got panic messages via my wife that he needed my bank details, which I sent. Then a legal lady said she needed a 'customerís confirmation of banking details letter'. This was sent to me, and I pointed out that they had had just that already. He lost his rag and told my wife that he would not help me further.

He has just emailed me to ask that I do not copy anyone else in on the correspondence..............

I am of the opinion that he is not getting the support (training, advice, clear objectives etc) that he should expect from his managers. He may well be overworked (I know something of that as my wife's daughter works in Telkom, and is having workload problems). In short the management is ineffective.

It would help to restore my faith in human nature if someone were able to describe good experiences with Telkom.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I've had plenty of positive experiences with Telkom, with my home ADSL line.

The best experience I've ever had was when I logged a call with Telkom that my ADSL line is down just before 4Pm on a Saturday. I was not expecting any response from Telkom until monday, but wanted the call logged and out of the way anyway. At about 5Pm I get a call from a guy saying he is a Telkom tech and although he will be leaving work now he can come have a look if its not an inconvenience, I told him to come over whenever he can.

By 6Pm my line was up and running, but there was an issue with the junction point on the pole which he said he will try to get replaced as it is damn old. I said just let me know when they want access and Ill make a plan as the pole is in my yard.

The next morning at 7am, I hear a horn at the gate and i'm immediately in a bad mood because who the f wakes someone up at this time. To my suprise it is the Telkom guy from yesterday coming to replace the box. He got authorization to use a spare he had in his bakkie and he thought he would come do it on his way to work.
    I was dumbfounded by the guy going out of his way to sort out our Telkom line without me ever having to complain or even ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This bears out my feeling that the man on the ground is not the problem, but the overpaid managers. The call centres are not well organised in general, but your guy went the extra mile, and then some. Years back I was kept on hold for over 6 hours, and then transferred to someone else, and put on hold for yet more hours.
    I do remember the incredulity I felt when I read an advert claiming that 328 (I think) kbps was superfast broadband.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent visitor View Post
    This bears out my feeling that the man on the ground is not the problem, but the overpaid managers. The call centres are not well organised in general, but your guy went the extra mile, and then some. Years back I was kept on hold for over 6 hours, and then transferred to someone else, and put on hold for yet more hours.
    I do remember the incredulity I felt when I read an advert claiming that 328 (I think) kbps was superfast broadband.
    I do have an advantage though, I live in an area in pretoria which is very close to the Union buildings, and every telkom tech that has been around to my house say they service the whole area and they are always on very tight timelines, so it might be different dealing with a telkom tech servicing some random suburb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered fibre via call Telkom / Openserve call centre on the Wed. Call-back for appointment the Thurs and installation the Saturday... around Oct / Nov last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for the technical guys going out of their way to help, but that is where it ends.
    I have been trying to organise an LTE account for more than 2 weeks now. "The system" keeps throwing out an "internal error" when they try to process my application. The staff are very friendly, but apparently unable to help when anything goes off script. To follow up, I need to physically go to the store - if I phone, the phone rings twice, then switches to a message that says: "No one can answer your call now, and you cannot leave a message. Please try again later" (This is them trying to make a sale - I kid you not). Online support (email, live chat, or web forms) is either ignored, or answered with "sorry we can't help you".

I am now trying to cancel the application, but need confirmation that it is actually cancelled before I try somewhere else (in case I end up with two contracts).

+ Reply to Thread