Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used car

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Used car

Hi

I am looking for advice on buying a used car. I have 2 options and would like to know what you think.

So I there a Vw 1.6 2003 Estate with 209000km. For 69k lady owner with full service history. Sold by the dealership that services it.

Then there is a VW polo 1.9 TDI 2007 with 150000km for 49k. But is sold privatly and is in another province.
    Dont know much about buying a car from a guy i dont even know.

What would be my best option here and is it better to take the risk and save some money or should i go for the stress free deal.

Chef

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying such an old car from the dealer isn't going to give you any real piece of mind, they've got no obligation really besides maybe the CPA 6 month warranty.
    I've been around for a long, long year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Buying such an old car from the dealer isn't going to give you any real piece of mind, they've got no obligation really besides maybe the CPA 6 month warranty.
    Valid point.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tjoe how much is your budget why don't you look for something better. I know for R70 000 you can get 2007/11 Mazda 2 or Toyota Yaris.

Personally I don't trust private sellers.
    Last edited by semisane1987; 16-05-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Master
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No man, look elsewhere, those cars are not worth the trouble they may put you through. I also wouldn't buy any turbo car with over 110k km on the clock.

Why don't you look at the Polo/Vivo ranges, I am very sure you will find lots online with much much lower mileage under R100k
    Soooo, where do you see yourself in five years?

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chefneo View Post
    Hi

I am looking for advice on buying a used car. I have 2 options and would like to know what you think.

So I there a Vw 1.6 2003 Estate with 209000km. For 69k lady owner with full service history. Sold by the dealership that services it.

Then there is a VW polo 1.9 TDI 2007 with 150000km for 49k. But is sold privatly and is in another province.
    Dont know much about buying a car from a guy i dont even know.

What would be my best option here and is it better to take the risk and save some money or should i go for the stress free deal.

Chef
    That VW estate usa cool car and I like it but at that mileage I would stay for something Japanese, full service history would be a bonus, unless you are really keen on that Estate then there's really nothing wrong in buying it although I think I would negotiate the price a little.

Also make sure that everything is included in the price when buying at a dealer, if they add their hidden on the road costs on that R69k it will quickly become a very bad financial decision for yu to buy that car. I would say R60 to R65k max all inclusive is a fair price taking the full service history into account.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

+ Reply to Thread