Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: What would you do?

  1. #31
    Mafia Addict GhostSixFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rock <> Hard place
    Posts
    10,919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sucked View Post
    Buy a BMW GS motorbike + full body raincoat. Research it.

    Less fuel.
    Quicker to and from work.
    Better quality of life.
    Also nice for weekend roadtrip to clear the mind.

    Do the math. If you buy a smaller car the monthly finance cost + fuel will be quite a bit more
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer16 View Post
    ^ This for sure
    Don't forget the "hidden" costs. Depending on skill/comfort, OP might need to do training, which can be expensive. Then add in ATGATT to make it safer/more comfortable and it ends it getting expensive.

    Not that it's a bad idea at all, but buying a bike to save $$$ isn't as cheap as people would lead you believe. Fuel usage is less, and that's about it.
    Use my code to get R150 off your first Taxify ride: XCZYNT

  2. #32
    Verboten Pitbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    55,627
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    Right so For the past month I have been working in Jhb and it seems I might stay working there for some time.

    I live in Pretoria and the journey starts at 05:10am end I leave Jhb at 15:25pm. It's a 58Km trip one way and 116Km per day.

    I currently drive a 2010 Hardbody 2.4 Petrol D/c which it giving me 8.25Km per litre - yip eina.
    The Hardbody is in pristine condition and has 103 000Km on but it's thirsty as hell.

    The monthly cost in petrol is about R3500. And I do need a bakkie for my weekend trip to the Monkey Rescue Center.

    I'm contemplating either getting a small car like the Picanto or Ignis etc for the daily trip or trading the Hardbody in on a 2.2 D/C Ranger but I know they will screw me for the trade-in and give me +-R85K for the HB which is worth alot more.

    So chaps what would you do?
    1st prize a bike. At least 400cc up.

    Second prize, a cheap car: Golf 1 or similar, Should give you around 12km/l at least and you don't have to worry about putting miles on it.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt! Avatar compliments of saor

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,492
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Well, you leave things open because you didn't just say he should rent his place, leaving space for people to assume what they want.
    its fun watching people make up facts, like this

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Which would be more then the car ;-)

  4. #34
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post

    I'm contemplating either getting a small car like the Picanto or Ignis etc for the daily trip or trading the Hardbody in on a 2.2 D/C Ranger but I know they will screw me for the trade-in and give me +-R85K for the HB which is worth alot more.

    So chaps what would you do?
    If you get 85K trade-in and go for the small car you are looking at what R2500 or so per installment?

    Then with fuel on the small car you are looking at about half the petrol bill per month so you could set that off against your current bill and decide if the X amount remaining is worth the effort or not.

    In the real world my difference to my pocket in switching cars after fuel etc has amounted to <R1000 which is a no brainer considering warranty, new tyres, cheaper insurance and maintenance paid for the next three years.

    I settled on the Picanto but did also look at the Ignis and went from a car burning on 9,7 l/100 so seems very similar.

    Car was doing less distance so you should in theory save even more for the swop.


    *****

    On the topic of bikes never learn to ride one by being forced to use it.

    You buy bikes and learn to ride them optionally while having access to a car. Once you are on a level of comfort you can consider getting rid of the car.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 17-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.

  5. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSixFour View Post
    Don't forget the "hidden" costs. Depending on skill/comfort, OP might need to do training, which can be expensive. Then add in ATGATT to make it safer/more comfortable and it ends it getting expensive.

    Not that it's a bad idea at all, but buying a bike to save $$$ isn't as cheap as people would lead you believe. Fuel usage is less, and that's about it.
    The time saver alone should be a deal breaker.

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster konfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Watership Down
    Posts
    15,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sucked View Post
    The time saver alone should be a deal breaker.
    The deal breaker is that you have a better chance of surviving in a car if a taxi decides to run a red light whilst you go across an intersection.

  7. #37
    Super Grandmaster Hemi300c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PTA East
    Posts
    17,818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    If you get 85K trade-in and go for the small car you are looking at what R2500 or so per installment?

    Then with fuel on the small car you are looking at about half the petrol bill per month so you could set that off against your current bill and decide if the X amount remaining is worth the effort or not.

    In the real world my difference to my pocket in switching cars after fuel etc has amounted to <R1000 which is a no brainer considering warranty, new tyres, cheaper insurance and maintenance paid for the next three years.

    I settled on the Picanto but did also look at the Ignis and went from a car burning on 9,7 l/100 so seems very similar.

    Car was doing less distance so you should in theory save even more for the swop.


    *****

    On the topic of bikes never learn to ride one by being forced to use it.

    You buy bikes and learn to ride them optionally while having access to a car. Once you are on a level of comfort you can consider getting rid of the car.
    I'm a old biker, had a Katana 1275 Striker back in the day, but things are different now.

    Thanks all for the valued input, time to start the pondering with suggestions.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

  8. #38
    Super Grandmaster SauRoNZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    I'm a old biker, had a Katana 1275 Striker back in the day, but things are different now.

    Thanks all for the valued input, time to start the pondering with suggestions.
    Well in that case it maybe is a realistic consideration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •