Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REVEALED: How much staff in former minister Lynne Brown's private office earned

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default REVEALED: How much staff in former minister Lynne Brown's private office earned

Cape Town - An employee with just a grade 9 qualification earned over R890 000 a year while working for former minister of public enterprise Lynne Brown in her private office. This was revealed in a written response to a parliamentary question posed by DA MP Gregory Krumbock to the former minister. Krumbock enquired about the amount budgeted and spent for her private office as well as the remuneration of staff, their job title and qualification.

The response, issued on Monday, also shows that a person with a matric qualification could earn close to R950 000 working as a senior parliamentary and cabinet support officer. There were four other staff member with senior certificates, but their salaries varied based on job title and salary level. For example, a senior parliamentary and cabinet support officer at salary level 12 earned just above R917 000. A receptionist at salary level 7 with a senior certificate earned just over R230 000.

A messenger or driver earning a salary at level 6 with a senior certificate earned R189 000, while someone with a grade 7 qualification also at salary level 6 earned over R216 000. Brown’s chief of staff earned over R1.21m, and had a B-Tech in Public Management. Her special adviser who had a diploma in project management earned R1.29m. Having a bachelor’s degree in administration saw one employee earn over R675 000 as a deputy director of administration. Someone with the same degree earned the same amount for work as an administrative secretary – both salaries were on level 11.

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/reveal...arned-20180517
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like that waiver thing is being abused big time.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    Seems like that taxpayer budget is being abused big time.
    FTFY.

These people are the reason why the country has tax increases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is, do they add that value? Fin24 are really zeroing in on the qualifications thing. I am sure there are thousands of examples.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    Question is, do they add that value? Fin24 are really zeroing in on the qualifications thing. I am sure there are thousands of examples.
    I doubt anyone who could not be bothered to go past grade 9 can add any value that deserves those salaries.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    FTFY.

These people are the reason why the country has tax increases.
    That waiver though is where it all start, it simply overrides anything that is standing in the way of a minister or a mayor hiring an unqualified friend or family member. In know they will simply find another way but as a start the waiver must fall, it is giving credibility and legality to this whole thing.
    Last edited by thechamp; 17-05-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    I know of some people who had nothing more than a Matric when they started, and went on to do great things.

However.... I don't believe that someone who dropped out at grade 9 can go on to do great things.

And the ones who started with a matric, generally ended up studying professional certifications later in life, because they were ambitious and hungry. So, they probably ended up with qualifications that were between NQF levels 7 and 9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grade 9 qualification earned over R890 000 a year
    matric qualification could earn close to R950 000
    Clearly I erred in judgement of my chosen career path
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I know of some people who had nothing more than a Matric when they started, and went on to do great things.

However.... I don't believe that someone who dropped out at grade 9 can go on to do great things.

And the ones who started with a matric, generally ended up studying professional certifications later in life, because they were ambitious and hungry. So, they probably ended up with qualifications that were between NQF levels 7 and 9.
    Even that grade 9 person can go on to do great things, but it should not be at our expense.
    Last edited by thechamp; 17-05-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    Clearly I erred in judgement of my chosen career path
    It's never too late to join politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's never too late to join politics.
    Government is top-heavy as it is
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That waiver though is where it all start, it simply overrides anything that is standing in the way of a minister or a mayor hiring an unqualified friend or family member.
    No, the problem is with the salary.

Brown’s chief of staff earned over R1.21m, and had a B-Tech in Public Management. Her special adviser who had a diploma in project management earned R1.29m.
    Those amounts are:
    $96 375 USD and $101 747 USD

That is is more than the president of India, which sits at $88 560 USD
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary...cials_in_India

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even that grade 9 person can go on to do grade things, but it should not be at our expense.
    +1

The qualification things are bit of nonsense IMO. If those people are doing jobs that warrant that kind of payment well who cares how far they studied.

However if they got those jobs/salaries by falsifying their CV/corruption then we have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knyro View Post
    +1

The qualification things are bit of nonsense IMO. If those people are doing jobs that warrant that kind of payment well who cares how far they studied.

However if they got those jobs/salaries by falsifying their CV/corruption then we have a problem
    The office of government in charge of the SABC, SAA, Post office, Transnet, Eskom. Yeah, they are really deserving of salaries higher than world leaders.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by konfab View Post
    The office of government in charge of the SABC, SAA, Post office, Transnet, Eskom. Yeah, they are really deserving of salaries higher than world leaders.
    Odds are you make significantly more than your Indian counterparts as well.

Salaries for professional jobs in general in SA are skewed upwards considering how poor the country is.
    Last edited by Knyro; 17-05-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_the_Brit View Post
    Yes I'm an Australian citizen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast