Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time balance network connection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time balance network connection

Hi guys,

I'm sure there are multiple threads and I have searched a bit but everything seems buried and all over the place so maybe a single thread for the concept.

So with Rain launching their new sims as well as the "after hours" data and Telkom killing their 500Gb for R50 after hours, I want to look at leveraging a Rain connection for downloads\updates\game installs etc and the normal Telkom connection for everyday traffic between the peak period of 6pm-11pm. Yea, one can just change the sim card but thats a bit of a schlep and I'd rather look at having two devices and some software/router handling traffic on a time based schedule between the devices.
    In my mind I would see this as some gateway device that everything talks to and that device sending traffic to the respective routers depending. I know you get load balancing and failover options but can folks point me in the right direction for this? Would prefer a software solution vs hardware if possible ( virtualised is fine ) but if it required a hardware then sure, like to look at those options.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm sure there are multiple threads and I have searched a bit but everything seems buried and all over the place so maybe a single thread for the concept.

So with Rain launching their new sims as well as the "after hours" data and Telkom killing their 500Gb for R50 after hours, I want to look at leveraging a Rain connection for downloads\updates\game installs etc and the normal Telkom connection for everyday traffic between the peak period of 6pm-11pm. Yea, one can just change the sim card but thats a bit of a schlep and I'd rather look at having two devices and some software/router handling traffic on a time based schedule between the devices.
    In my mind I would see this as some gateway device that everything talks to and that device sending traffic to the respective routers depending. I know you get load balancing and failover options but can folks point me in the right direction for this? Would prefer a software solution vs hardware if possible ( virtualised is fine ) but if it required a hardware then sure, like to look at those options.
    A Mikrotik Routerboard should do the job just perfectly for you... and it'll be cheap enough as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWizard View Post
    I must be retarded then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    A Mikrotik Routerboard should do the job just perfectly for you... and it'll be cheap enough as well.
    I suspected I might have to go that route. Any idea on which one? Haven't worked directly with a microtik before but I know they are very versatile.

Something like the hEXLite? Seems small enough, don't need massive overkill.

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rb-750.html
    Last edited by Kosmik; 07-06-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspected I might have to go that route. Any idea on which one? Haven't worked directly with a microtik before but I know they are very versatile.
    I would assume almost any one will do the job for you really..

But possibly something like this :

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rb-750gr3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWizard View Post
    I must be retarded then

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like the hEXLite? Seems small enough, don't need massive overkill.

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rb-750.html
    They all run the exact same RouterOS so it really just comes down to the hardware requirement.

However another option would be flashing some existing hardware you already might have with alternative firmware.

Mikrotik used to also offer some boards that actually take the SIM cards directly but not sure if that would be supported by RAIN etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    They all run the exact same RouterOS so it really just comes down to the hardware requirement.

However another option would be flashing some existing hardware you already might have with alternative firmware.

Mikrotik used to also offer some boards that actually take the SIM cards directly but not sure if that would be supported by RAIN etc.
    I currently only have a B315 device, thats why I was looking for a gateway type device to switch between that and another with a differant sim. Alternatively , I have a micro server running that could perform some type of proxy/routing functionality as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently only have a B315 device, thats why I was looking for a gateway type device to switch between that and another with a differant sim. Alternatively , I have a micro server running that could perform some type of proxy/routing functionality as well.
    You could run RouterOS in a VM. But then there are many other freeware options available that work better in that capacity.

Like pfSense etc.

+ Reply to Thread