Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are all WISP this bad or am I just unlucky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are all WISP this bad or am I just unlucky?

So I've been with Wispernet for about two months now.

(I moved to an area with no fixed line coverage and it seemed the best option for uncapped)

Problem is the connection is horrendous. Half the week there is barely a connection. Takes a good minute to load google homepage if there is connection at all. About 3 days out of the week the speed is what it is supposed to be.

Apart from the ping.
    It is an on off connection which jumps up and down every few seconds. Jumps from perfect connection to no connection constantly. Average ping of 70 - 90 goes to 2000 - 3000. Impossible to play any form of online game. Sometimes it is stuck on extreme high ping for several minutes, then it's okay for 1 minute then just goes to extreme ping again.

Does this constantly non stop! Support is useless, because they cannot see a problem and blames my sight to the tower.
    Okay. So if there is a problem with the sight between my dish and the tower, why say it is fine when you came to check if I am in the coverage area!?

There is another WISP in the area, but that would mean paying an installation fee again. I am willing, but not if one WISP will be the same as another.

Anybody else using a WISP experiencing the same?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends. Where are you located?

If it is between Tomoerandgone and Putsonderwater deep in the gramadoelas, then yes, most likely.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped my wisp for LTE , so much better now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lived666 View Post
    You think he will have LTE @ "Location : Farm with a sea view"?

What is your location OP? I'm with Breedenet for a few years and it's been great. But I'm sitting next to the hill where the tower is on. All depend on, how far you are from the nearest tower. WISP isn't magic.....AFAIK...

Internet : 56k dial-up
    Mobile: Nokia 3310
    Laptop: Toshiba T1100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South coast on the Garden Route.

I am in direct with with one of the towers on the mountains. When they came to install it they told me no issues and 'tested' it. First 3 days, great, then not so great. Now they blame the tower? Why did it work fine in the beginning?

I am starting to think they are just bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lived666 View Post
    No LTE, just 3G coverage

Might still be better though, but after the battle to rid myself of Telkom, I don't know if I want to go that route again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond.Celsus View Post
    South coast on the Garden Route.

I am in direct with with one of the towers on the mountains. When they came to install it they told me no issues and 'tested' it. First 3 days, great, then not so great. Now they blame the tower? Why did it work fine in the beginning?

I am starting to think they are just bad.
    Direct line of sight does not always tell the whole story.

Also, what does the contour look like, does it cater for the fresnel zone, what equipment is on the tower, what equipment is at your house, what speed, how is the signal, how far is it, how many devices are connected to your network, do you understand the concept of how a shared internet connection works?

There are many questions to be asked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are asking questions that I cannot answer, because I am no expert when it comes wireless or wired networks.

What I can say is that I've got one PC directly connected to the router and two phones via the wi-fi. Yes, I do know the phones will directly affect the connection.

With shared connection I assume you mean the amount of people connected to the same tower? Sure, especially during peak hours this will affect my speeds. As far as I know, anyway.

Now, because I practically have very limited knowledge on the subject I explained to them exactly what I will be using it for. Streaming and online gaming. They said, no problem. It will be perfect for that. And that is what makes me the angriest. They blatantly lied to me.

What I do not understand and what they seem to be unable to explain to me, is why my ping fluctuates so much. It jumps around every few seconds, like I explained, between 70 to 2000 to 3000 etc. Now, regardless of internet type I fail to see how that would be normal on any network. Especially after 11 at night which is certainly not peak hours. No phones connected. I will be able to stream youtube during this time, full HD, no buffering, downloads on steam will download at a steady 850kb/s, but the ping will still jump around like crazy (yes, all downloads and other activity paused.)

It's a 7mb uncapped package, throttling starts at 130 gb and speeds are then reduced to 3.5mb. (issues are at the end and beginning of the month. Throttling is not the issue)

After several weeks of calling, with them just saying 'ai jinne. dis nie reg nie. ons sal kyk daarna', they are finally blaming the tower. What that means, I don't know, but if the tower was an issue, they should have told me, sorry, no dice.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the nature of open spectrum microwave radio. You cannot guarantee service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully understand that the tiniest thing can affect the connection at any given time. No service anytime is not acceptable in my opinion, however.

I'm not even that fussy, because, I am the one situated in a mostly non service area. That's on me. I don't think a few days a week of stable ping is too much to ask though.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond.Celsus View Post
    why my ping fluctuates so much. It jumps around every few seconds, like I explained, between 70 to 2000 to 3000 etc. Now, regardless of internet type I fail to see how that would be normal on any network.
    I worked as a technician for a WISP for a while. This sounds like they've installed the antenna incorrectly. You need to call them in again, ask them to test the alignment and get them to check ping times to their infrastructure. I had an issue where a client's antenna was blown about by the wind and quite a bit off. I also had another one where the tower was in view, but turning the antenna sideways was better for pings because the tower's transmitter was easily missed because it was smaller than usual.

In the meantime, you can use the free version of Pingplotter to trace where in the chain the issue is taking place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice.
    I will call them and ask.

+ Reply to Thread