Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Juggling Rain SIMs?

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Juggling Rain SIMs?

Right, so, I'm in a Rain coverage area. I'm fairly sure that I want to migrate to using Rain instead of Telkom. However, there's a snag.

Snag one: The standard Rain network offers per-MB pricing, and a R250 add-on for uncapped in off-peak hours. I calculated what my average Netflix use would be if I had to limit the playback quality, and I'd be spending about R1000 a month to cover the five hours of Netflix time. Given other users, though, this probably isn't going to cut it. Overall, I'd be spending more than my ADSL connection's currently worth.

Snag two: Rain's partners offer capped products with high limits. This is nice. However, despite their relative per-GB cheapness I don't think 120GB is going to see me through the month under any circumstances.

In my mind, the way around this is to simply have two SIM cards and swap between them. Have the normal one registered with Rain that's on the per-MB pricing with the R250 bolt-on, while I also have a 55GB capped account with Afrihost to use during the peak hours. I just switch them more or less at 6PM and again at 11PM (because LTE routers with two SIMs are crazy levels of expensive). This way, I should be covered for both Netflix time and anything above that, whilst during the day on Rain's network I'm on an uncapped connection for work purposes and Skype.

And I would only be paying... around R850-R900 for speeds that are about 2-4x as high, and I'm not reliant on Telkom. Of course then I'm at the mercy of Rain's customer support, so there's the catch-22.

Does this make sense? How do others plan to handle the peak data usage?
    Last edited by CataclysmZA; 09-06-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U gonna get tired of switching Sims everyday. get a cheap 2nd LTE router, even a small pocket router for the rain direct sim as u would get a LTEa router for the Afrihost deal(open to correction). and just switch connections.i get good speeds when I use my pocket router on telkom.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raaz1zn View Post
    U gonna get tired of switching Sims everyday.
    +1

Plus what happens when your fav show or movie/doc happens to straddle the 6pm /11pm cut off? Or worse when recording and you not there?

Nah too much hassle for my liking...I want a stress free internet experience dankie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cygx1 View Post
    +1

Plus what happens when your fav show or movie/doc happens to straddle the 6pm /11pm cut off? Or worse when recording and you not there?

Nah too much hassle for my liking...I want a stress free internet experience dankie
    Is that really a major consideration for someone who wants to stream Netflix?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the weekends follow the same peak/off peak times?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee96 View Post
    I would think not. Off peak is usually from late Friday night to Monday early morn 6am ish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee96 View Post
    They don't seem to mention weekends being treated any differently than weekdays on their site.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have been great if you could add the R250 bolt-on to your rain fixed Lte package.

I have two routers, I just need to figure out a way to automatically switch between them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    It would have been great if you could add the R250 bolt-on to your rain fixed Lte package.

I have two routers, I just need to figure out a way to automatically switch between them.
    If accessing only over wifi, some routers give ability to disable wifi at specific time periods, so if it reaches a specific time it can switch off that wifi, while the other one switches its wifi on and your devices switch to what is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cygx1 View Post
    This won't be a problem with streaming media usually, but for things like Twitch or watching E3 for example, I can see myself adjusting the quality and wondering how much cap I'm using. Better than R50 per GB though.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    Wendell from Level1 goes into this a bit when talking about Pfsense and routing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekRgAATnIsU

I would do this myself if I had multiple modems. But I may also need an external antenna, so it would get a bit complicated.
    Last edited by CataclysmZA; 09-06-2018 at 08:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread