Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eskom wants to “drastically increase” electricity prices

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It added that Eskom wants to double its profits from electricity sales to pay off its mounting debt, which is only possible through a big increase in pricing
    **** these clowns are dumb... it doesn't work that way, we're already 400-500% or so higher than we were a decade ago, and what has happened? You want to double your profits, cut the price by 50%, create a 'cheap electricity' environment for manufacturing etc, which intern pumps up the economy, creates jobs and gets investors flocking in, only then will you 'profit'... constantly increasing prices is not the way you do it, you're guaranteed to close your doors

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the court rules they've been ripping off the poor for years and they must cut their prices oh how wonderful it will be
    Last edited by Temujin; 11-06-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    It is their culture, they are proud, let them be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Newsfeed View Post
    Eskom wants to “drastically increase” electricity prices

Eskom chairman Jabu Mabuza said the only sustainable solution to Eskom’s financial woes is to drastically increase electricity prices.

Mabusa said on Thursday that Eskom will take the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) to court to have its tariff determination for 2018/19 set aside.
    Has anyone explained to them how things work? They told us in 2008 to drastically cut our usage due to load shedding, so we did and they increased the prices since over 700% because the load isn't as high as it used to be, the more you increase your prices the more people are going to find ways to not use you.
    This seems to be common South African logic, we aren't getting enough money, I know lets increase prices, more people drop off, increase prices again, instead of maybe having 500 people paying R500, they want 100 people paying R2500
    I've been around for a long, long year

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now if only Elon can get his house in order and make me my damn Tesla I ordered.

That + Powerwall and Solar.

Petrol out, Eskom out, hell in an eat all the sushi then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw this, already looking into going off the grid. Going to cost a bit, but in the long term it will work out cheaper and as a bonus, screw over Eskom.

They do not seem to realise that the more they piss off the paying customers by constantly increasing the price and constant power failures in multiple areas due to incompetence and cable theft, the more people will start to move away and look for alternatives. In the end they will be stuck with the non-paying clients. That's probably when they'll start taxing you on your private power generation.

Master
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooC View Post
    Screw this, already looking into going off the grid. Going to cost a bit, but in the long term it will work out cheaper and as a bonus, screw over Eskom.

They do not seem to realise that the more they piss off the paying customers by constantly increasing the price and constant power failures in multiple areas due to incompetence and cable theft, the more people will start to move away and look for alternatives. In the end they will be stuck with the non-paying clients. That's probably when they'll start taxing you on your private power generation.
    Well to be fair we know that complete idiots are now running that circus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eskom wants to “drastically increase” electricity prices

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    ESKOM does not have to retrench 10000+ employees in one go, it can be done in phases (starting with a voluntary phase) which would reduce the cashflow risk compared to paying out 10000+ retrenchment packages all at once.

Retrenchments are usually applied on that last-in first-out (LIFO) basis, which means that the amount of money paid in packages to employees who have only been there a short time, is much less compared to packages paid to long serving employees.
    This is why I took 1 million per employee in average, the average cost being per employee being R708k, it doesn’t seem excessive since much of the retrenchments are in the middle management layer (that’s where the fat is at Eskom, at each meeting I have 12 managers).

Even retrenching them 2000 by 2000 annually would have a very small impact, would take very long and would still warrant a bailout.
    https://www.esi-africa.com/eskom-ret...l-expenditure/

It is also fairly common for former
    employees who have been retrenched (or who have retired), to reappear as contractors when it is clear that their skills and experience are still required, but they cannot be hired again as permanent employees due to a 189 embargo on hiring. I don't know how legal it is, but it does happen.
    That’s already the case, all my substation and line designers are ex Eskom who are now consulting engineers working at 80%+ for Eskom at prohibitive tariffs.

What misfortune has befallen you, that you have come to know several of ESKOM's executives?
    I work in an energy company. I meet Eskom at least once a week.

What you propose will take a very long time to be implemented, whereas the problems with ESKOM require immediate solutions.
    Such as?

It's also no secret that numerous municipalities have been neglecting to maintain their electricity distribution networks, a provincial or national electricity distribution company (state owned or privatised) would spend all of its budget just trying to replace that aged infrastructure and it would take decades to become a viable business. The problem of copper cable theft also factors in here.
    That what’s happened in Europe and it worked very well, the infrastructure company (whether it’s the one owning the pipelines, the rails, the transmission lines) took almost all the debt and were virtually bankrupt companies for decades while clearing the Eskom. The same could happen with the distribution company here.
    Last edited by f2wohf; 11-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123