Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgraded to Telkom 4mb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that the coverage map on Telkom's website to be inaccurate in my case with possible address issues, even the Telkom Sales people had difficulty determining what speeds are applicable for my address.
    Whereas the Openserve portal where you enter your DSL phone line number to be on the money in regards to what products are actually available.
    That isnt all correct. OpenServe simply gives you the highest attainable line speed in your area.

E.g. Their system reflects that " it is possible for you to order broadband services up to 10Mbps right now. " - truth is; our actual line speed is not even capable of a maximum of 4Mbps in our street.

Your ADSL router will tell what your line is capable of at maximum speed - if you are paying for any ADSL line faster than that speed - you are simply throwing your money away.
    In business, an unreliable Internet connection costs Rands and cents. Itís that simple.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeSLAM View Post
    That isnt all correct. OpenServe simply gives you the highest attainable line speed in your area.

E.g. Their system reflects that " it is possible for you to order broadband services up to 10Mbps right now. " - truth is; our actual line speed is not even capable of a maximum of 4Mbps in our street.

Your ADSL router will tell what your line is capable of at maximum speed - if you are paying for any ADSL line faster than that speed - you are simply throwing your money away.
    I understand what you are saying.
    In my case I live within 1Km of the Exchange so SNR and Line Attenuation are not an issue in regards to line speed as I should be able to achieve the highest speed available, yet only 1 of the 10 or so people at 10213 Telkom Sales at Telkom could actually upgrade my line or even give the correct information. After spending around a week querying the behemoth and finally getting the upgrade, I found the Openserve portal afterwards and there in plain view it says up to 20Mbs available for my DSL line number, yet only 1 out of 10 people at Telkom could tell me this. Very frustrating dealing with 10213 and 10210 and the online chat has its limitations where they can reset your port and it seems they copy and paste some stuff referring you back to 10213 or 10210.

Found myself in a endless loop dealing with Telkom, so I stopped to retain my sanity.
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup those are very junior "support" staff, don't understand half the technology - just use "flip charts" to attempt to resolve issues (if this - then that etc). I've tested their "knowledge".

The Openserve portal gives you max ability in the area of your phone number - its not street or number specific results...its a general area result.

Bottom line - check your router diagnostics once your line is up - and if the DSL line cannot attain what you pay for; downgrade immediately - or you're just wasting money.

The ISPs will gladly oversell a DSL product which actually wont work at your location. They do it often and I see it a lot.

Bullsh*tting clients for money - with a "best effort" cop out clause somewhere in the contract.
    Last edited by DeSLAM; 20-06-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    In business, an unreliable Internet connection costs Rands and cents. Itís that simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12