Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we can't pay Eskom: Top ten defaulting councils share financial horror stories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    And when the people still don't pay you and you cut them off and they cause chaos and your boss (government) says keep on the lights on, what do you do then?
    There are very efficient ways to being paid without having to recover the money afterwards.

It just takes a bit of political will instead of politicians who say yes to it before then blocking it when residents complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by f2wohf View Post
    Some have been cut, at least with artificial loadshedding (Witbank, Thaba Chweu...). Didn't help pay the debt since they have no money to pay the debt.

The issue with cutting the electricity is that it really affects the residents who pay, destroys the economic activity and produces nothing good for the future.

The issue is that some serious projects have been launched to remedy to this situation but the Municipalities, their inefficiencies and their political infighting have killed all hopes of private solutions.

Councillors themselves (and not ANC for once) don't pay their electricity bills in some of these Municipalities.
    Shame. I really have zero empathy for these people. These municipalities should be held accountable before the situation spirals out of control. I pay in excess of R2000 a month in electricity (3 people living on my property)! Thankfully, I am billed directly from Eskom. There was a mix up on the account and it was terminated in 4 weeks for being 30 days in arrears. We had to pay a R750 re connection cost (which is done remotely). Those that do pay are getting milked to the extreme, and are not given an iota of leeway. Let them sit in the dark, which will maybe get some proper action.

The model needs to change. Eskom needs to manage end to end and remove the middle man.
    Stoned people in houses shouldn't throw glasses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyLoop View Post
    How old are you? 65? 70?
    Go live overseas, see how the others live, some in countries where "GDay Mate" is the standard greeting yet their government spies so much on them they are able to tell you exactly when Peter Jones of Melbourne took a piss, on the 24th of January 2015
    I have. And you know what? It's actually pretty damn awesome. Stuff works. Service is great. Economies humming and stable. No crime. Next to no poverty. Job security. I'll take that, over being hated because I am white, fear of my future financial stability, constant worries about the political stability of SA, and fear from the constant criminal element. As a woman, I cannot go for a run or bike ride on my own. That is not freedom.

Every single organ of state is SA is in some kind of peril. Just sit back and let that sink in for a moment. We literally have only the Courts as our last line of defense. And those are a bit toothless as SAPS are **** at their jobs, are under trained, and under resourced.

Our societal contracts are breaking down. It's every man for himself in SA, and Africa in general. Western countries have their issues, but they are of a completely different nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    I have. And you know what? It's actually pretty damn awesome. Stuff works. Service is great. Economies humming and stable. No crime. Next to no poverty. Job security. I'll take that, over being hated because I am white, fear of my future financial stability, constant worries about the political stability of SA, and fear from the constant criminal element. As a woman, I cannot go for a run or bike ride on my own. That is not freedom.

Every single organ of state is SA is in some kind of peril. Just sit back and let that sink in for a moment. We literally have only the Courts as our last line of defense. And those are a bit toothless as SAPS are **** at their jobs, are under trained, and under resourced.

Our societal contracts are breaking down. It's every man for himself in SA, and Africa in general. Western countries have their issues, but they are of a completely different nature.
    And you know what?

I grew up overseas in one of the top countries in the world and I love SA.

Service is good, things are cheap, my lifestyle is much better, I save much more, crime is very overrated when you live in a good area (I walk my dogs at 9pm in the street).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you know what?

Service is good, things are cheap, my lifestyle is much better, I save much more, crime is very overrated when you live in a good area (I walk my dogs at 9pm in the street).
    Good for you. You are not the average middle class. I live in a good area, and a woman was raped by two black men on the side of the street a few weeks ago. I also lived in the heart of Bryanston amongst all those big houses, and in three years, the police were there countless times. I was hijacked, and home invaded in Randburg all with guns (separate events). How is that overrated?
    Last edited by Emjay; 14-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
    I have no idea what this means.
    That you are a noob and don't know how to post according to guidelines for posting in this section, sorry neh
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That you are a noob and don't know how to post according to guidelines for posting in this section, sorry neh
    It was just a comment on an article
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the comment must be in a second post. Cannot comment in the same post as the post posting the article.
    If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there
    Accuse the enemies of that which you know you are guilty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you know what?

It's also nice to preach atop your ivory tower. When trouble hits the fan, you can just hop on a flight into another country. Most of us don't have that luxury.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrotappel View Post
    Apparently the comment must be in a second post. Cannot comment in the same post as the post posting the article.
    So I must post the article without comment, then post again with my comment on the article ?
    -

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you know what?

lol. this is one of the exact things that is used here to point at and incite misdirected anger.

you can get up and go if poop hits the fan, so you can laugh at threats and s****** at the reactions of locals. working abroad people dont really feel bound to the countries problems.

i do hope you are staying vigilant though. its not smart not to.

dig the avatar btw

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob or unobservant?
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why we can't pay Eskom: Top ten defaulting councils share financial horror stories

Good for you. You are not the average middle class. I live in a good area, and a woman was raped by two black men on the side of the street a few weeks ago. I also lived in the heart of Bryanston amongst all those big houses, and in three years, the police were there countless times. I was hijacked, and home invaded in Randburg all with guns (separate events). How is that overrated?
    One of my friends was shot in Paris. Brother of a friend saw his girlfriend die in front of him during November 2015 attack. Uncle of a friend was shot at the concert place. The father of another friend was assassinated. I was robbed with at knife point. I canít count the number of female friends who have been raped. My great grandmother of 92 years old was tied up and beaten up there during a robbery. My grandfather was living with death threats and bodyguards due to meddling with the wrong people. Sh*t happens everywhere when you stay long enough to see it.

Doesnít make it statistically relevant.

We all have stories.

Hereís a fact: Sandtonís murder rate is 9 murders for 222000 people making it 4.05/100000.

New Yorkís murder rate is 3.4/100000.
    Some provinces of France reach 6.5/100000.

So no, I donít feel in imminent death danger.
    Last edited by f2wohf; 14-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob or unobservant?
    ?
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also nice to preach atop your ivory tower. When trouble hits the fan, you can just hop on a flight into another country. Most of us don't have that luxury.
    I actually canít thanks to a medical condition for the next 6 months. Taking a plane would most likely land me in ICU.

Most people can take a flight to Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Lesotho in a matter of minutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast